The Custom Saber Shop replica Replica MPP flash with grips question

Ah, shoot! russellsch beat me to it. I literally just got done doing a photo shoot with my replica. I suppose that it would be redundant of me to post my pics :unsure :lol

The authentic Darth Vader "Hollywood Memories"-saber has the larger opening like the Parks':
View attachment 511855
This is a ESB/ROTJ style hero prop. Most replicas of the ESB-style saber, including that from Master Replicas has the smaller lengthwise oval opening, however... So those must either be based on reference of another ESB lightsaber prop or it would be a pervasive error... (not unheard of in the community. "windshield-vipers" anyone?)
The letters beside the openings are too large on the Parks though.

Isn't the second Vader saber (the one from the interrogation scene with black clamp bars) the one that ended up as the ESB/ROTJ hero? If so, since this replica has the larger vertical opening and black clamp bars, I may just convert mine to be more accurate to that saber; the second ANH .

dvanh_ver2.jpg

This pic from partsofsw.com shows the lever being on the opposite side of where it is now and it's lower down against the grips. Looks like I'll have to take the MPP logo plate off as well. Anyone have any tips/advice on how to approach that? Also, I'm assuming that it has 7 t tracks like the other ANH sabers, but does anyone know for sure? I find it interesting that it looks as though the paint had already started chipping off of the shroud, which would then later turn to the rust spots as seen on the prop today :cool

Here are some photos next to the MR ANH Vader (with its sticky grips & all :angry). I do have a noob question or two: what's more accurate, the activation switch in line with the shroud? Or off set like the MR? & was the "Microflash" sign thing actually on the prop?
I do like the CSS version a lot. I bet it'll actually hold a flash bulb, as that end actually moves. The shroud is not as course as the MR, there's no backing behind the bubbles (like on the MR) so they're very see through, & both ends of the clamp are open (on the MR they're closed off). The MR activation switch sides are chromed - or stainless - while the CSS's are black.
As said before, I very much like it & the price couldn't be beat.
Thanks again to Tom1971. You ROCK!! :cheers
2015-08-13 11.47.31.jpg
2015-08-13 11.46.00.jpg
2015-08-13 11.45.22.jpg
2015-08-13 11.44.28.jpg

Ah, shoot! russellsch beat me to it. I literally just got done doing a photo shoot with my replica. I suppose that it would be redundant of me to post my pics :unsure :lol

MCM please post your pictures! My computer died, so I had to use my cell phone to take my shots. Otherwise I would've got out the lighting rig & my 100mm f2.8 macro. I love seeing others photos, you'll see things I don't, & want to highlight & show different aspects I missed. It would not be redundant. Hell, isn't that why we're all here? Show your stuff man! :thumbsup :cheers :)

MCM please post your pictures! My computer died, so I had to use my cell phone to take my shots. Otherwise I would've got out the lighting rig & my 100mm f2.8 macro. I love seeing others photos, you'll see things I don't, & want to highlight & show different aspects I missed. It would not be redundant. Hell, isn't that why we're all here? Show your stuff man! :thumbsup :cheers :)
Well, if you insist, I suppose that I can oblige :D
IMG_5941.JPGIMG_5942.JPGIMG_5943.JPGIMG_5944.JPGIMG_5945.JPGIMG_5946.JPGIMG_5947.JPGIMG_5948.JPG

Indeed ... I've heard you can truly pop a flashbulb with these MPP replica's ... the only thing that is 'off' is the position of the D-ring underneath that thumbscrew ... yeah I know it's my thing to discuss D-rings ever since I joined and became an rpf member many eons ago ... but it's just off ... take a good look at the true MPP pictured in post # 41.

The 'Microflash' tag was removed for the movie-prop ... you can just file the tiny rivets from the inside with a dremel or file and they should come loose so you can remove the brandname-tag. I suppose 7 T-tracks were used for the second ANH with black sidebars but I'm not 100% certain ... and why the ANH clamp is not inline with the bulb-release button is still a mystery to me too :wacko

Chaim

The pics look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see what an incredible saber this is.

Don't worry about me guys I am on the notify list as soon as they get more in and I will snag one.

Great to see a good alternative to the now out of my price range MR.

Looks awesome all the way around.

Tom

Indeed ... I've heard you can truly pop a flashbulb with these MPP replica's ... the only thing that is 'off' is the position of the D-ring underneath that thumbscrew ... yeah I know it's my thing to discuss D-rings ever since I joined and became an rpf member many eons ago ... but it's just off ... take a good look at the true MPP pictured in post # 41.

The 'Microflash' tag was removed for the movie-prop ... you can just file the tiny rivets from the inside with a dremel or file and they should come loose so you can remove the brandname-tag. I suppose 7 T-tracks were used for the second ANH with black sidebars but I'm not 100% certain ... and why the ANH clamp is not inline with the bulb-release button is still a mystery to me too :wacko

Chaim
That's why I can't wait for Roy to finish his shrouds :cool. The d-ring placement on this guy kinda bugs me, too. Some details I can let slide, but knowing that there's a super-accurate version within reach makes me less tolerant of this particular offense :lol. Once the shroud and new calc bubbles are available, I'll definitely be sending some credits his way.

Which brings me to my next point: how in the world are you supposed to remove the shroud? It almost seems as if it's been loctited in place or something (I turned loctite into a verb :facepalm :lol). I thought that I had seen a thread around here somewhere where someone disassembled a Parks MPP but now my searchfu is failing me...

The pics look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see what an incredible saber this is.

Don't worry about me guys I am on the notify list as soon as they get more in and I will snag one.

Great to see a good alternative to the now out of my price range MR.

Looks awesome all the way around.

Tom

I'm glad that you're on the waitlist. Hopefully it isn't too long. Again, thanks for helping make this lonely little prop enthusiast's existence a bit brighter :cheers:thumbsup

Now, someone's gonna have to cut you off from all of these digital brews before it's too late hahaha.

Normally on a real MPP if you turn the set-screw open on top ... the shroud is loose and can be taken off the tube ... that's all :)

Chaim

Arent there supposed to be engraved rings on the black part on the bottom? That one looks like its just smooth.

My Parks is stuck too. I think you're right, some of the old calc bubbles were glued in place, they may have done that with the shroud too. Not sure if that means the thumbscrew is actually threaded or just glued in place either.

Since the d-ring is right under the thumb screw, I don't think that the thumb screw is holding the shroud in place. I can't even turn the thumb screw at all. I think the whole thing must be glued.

Edit: while I can't move the thumb scew, I was able to scoot the shroud a bit by applying firm pressure on the shroud and swiveling it back and forth. I don't want to do to much until I have a replacement in hand, but I think I'll be able to get this thing off without too much issue.

Has anybody ordered grips from this place? Who else would you guys recommend for lightsaber grips that don't cost a fortune? I need them for my Luke ANH saber if that helps.

for what it's worth guys... I TRIED to strip the powder coat off of the parks mpp shroud, and left it sitting in stripper over night...

nada... no stripping.

So I cleaned it and then wrinkle painted right over the powder coat. Lol... worked perfectly.

Pics to come.

for what it's worth guys... I TRIED to strip the powder coat off of the parks mpp shroud, and left it sitting in stripper over night...

nada... no stripping.

So I cleaned it and then wrinkle painted right over the powder coat. Lol... worked perfectly.

Pics to come.

Wow, that's a good powder coating I guess. I haven't tried anything with my CSS. I just have it sitting in front of my eFX Vader helmet. I did, however, just get a Heiland 3 cell off of eBay. Hoping to get it in the next few days. One day I'll have a GRAFLEX.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back