The Custom Saber Shop replica Replica MPP flash with grips question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Tom1971, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

russellsch likes this.
  2. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that it's a Parks saber. I could be totally wrong about that though.

3. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

I thought someone mentioned before that TCSS sells Parks clamp and MPP replicas.

Same as mugatu though.

4. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a Parks.

5. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed ... Parks but hassle free if and when they have them readily available ... so ask before buying!

Chaim

6. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Wanted to order a MPP clamp there. They want 44$ for shipping. That makes approx. 80$ for a replica clamp :wacko

7. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

According to how their web page software works, TCSS has four available (you add 999 to the Quantity window and click the black up arrow next to it and the number changes to the correct amount of stock on hand).

Sym-Cha likes this.
  8. Husker75

Husker75 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bit. 3 in stock now. I'll cross my fingers. Can't be worse than waiting for parks, right? :p

9. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Ask some assistance of a befriended rpf-er overseas ... that's a rediculous amount of shipping or try and send them an email requesting first-class shipping instead of priority perhaps they will oblige?

Chaim

Luke the Belter likes this.
  10. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Thank you for all the responses.

How is the accuracy of these???

How do they compare to the Master Replicas Vader ANH because I loved mine and was very happy with it???

11. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very accurate. And yes parks. I mean they're super close to the real deal. Quality on par with parks Graflex replicas.

12. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I was studying this compared to the MR and it looks like MR is more refined, grips bottom cut to accommodate the rear raised ring area, o rings type pieces at each end of the clamp, textured emitter/blade shroud thing. I assume none of these details were on the actual prop???

Decisions, decisions,........

13. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

You cant go wrong with TCSS.. (as I've said many times)

I would also shoot him an email.. hes always been honest about the shipping stuff.. if the site says more, he refunds the difference if actually costing less.

I actually have one of these myself... (been waiting to do an internals reveal..etc)

I could take pics if needed (after I get home from work)

14. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

That would be awesome. Thank you.

I found their saber making function and spent about two hours designing my personal saber.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed the original MPP has a plastic sleeve under the clamp not O-rings ... and the grips bottoms are not cut to accomade the rear raised area, since on the MPP endcap it's less raised. The MR is more idealised to say the least when compared to a vintage MPP ... and Parks replicated the MPP as close as can be ... you could even pop a flashbulb with it when batteries were added inside :wacko

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Pictures Courtesy parfaitelumiere)

The shroud is supposed to be wrinkle painted ... a process done with painting the shroud and heating/drying in an oven to create those wrinkles :

[​IMG]
    (Picture Chaim Murzan Photography)

Chaim

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

The one I finished is a Parks. Look it up.

17. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There are two ANH versions. One has black sidebars like this one, but the one we most often see has bare-aluminium ("silver") sidebars.
    The silver sidebars are the same shape as these, only not black. I don't know what the black finish really is: paint, powder coating or anodizing.

I made new silver sidebars out of aluminium for my (and a friend's) Parks MPP replica. I borrowed a drill press and made the rest by hand with hacksaw, file and sandpaper. It is doable.

If you are going to be really accurate to the ANH version, then you would have a bent nail instead of the clamp lever. You might want to design the sidebars you are making to fit the nail you are using.

18. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The real MPP that Parks used to make his (the one from Ghosthost) had the larger vertical oval opening, making the Parks MPP more accurate to the ANH version. The main ESB/ROTJ MPP had the vertical oval the same size as the horizontal oval openings.

thd9791 likes this.
  19. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, hahaha :lol :cool I'd been contemplating getting a Parks saber, but from what I've heard, the wait times can stink and communication isn't the best. I've ordered a number of things from TCSS by this point; they ship quickly and the prices are quite reasonable. I just HAD to order one of these. Anyone know what the grip material is? If it's rubber, I'll definitely be putting some plastic t-track on, and of course one of Roy's replica shrouds once they're available.

20. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

I forgot to take pics last night..

I'll try to remember tonight.. and also check the grips.

21. Husker75

Got mine today. Looks really nice. Might replace the grips down the line but I'm pretty happy with it!

22. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Pics???????????????????

23. Husker75

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The grips are put on a little sloppy. Not bad. But a tad crooked at a few spots, or the glue was weak and they shifted in transit. Anyone got a tip on how to clean that crap off if I switch them out down the line? Don't want to screw up the finish!

24. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Couldn't beat that price. I jumped in. Any thoughts on the other replica parts he's offering?

25. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Thanks for the pics.

Yeah I thought the grips looked,... not as good as they could but otherwise awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any ideas for the glue without hurting the finish except maybe baby wipes as they are great and don't hurt anything.

I used alcohol wipes to remove the stickiness on my MR FX Vader and it did not hurt the finish and cleaned the grips perfect.

26. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Sold out :(

27. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Really?! :eek
    Did I get the last one?

28. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Word....

- - - Updated - - -

It's all good. Got too many prop commitments and too little money as it is.

Tom

29. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The authentic Darth Vader "Hollywood Memories"-saber has the larger opening like the Parks':
    Darth Vader ESB Hero Lightsaber 12.jpg
    This is a ESB/ROTJ style hero prop. Most replicas of the ESB-style saber, including that from Master Replicas has the smaller lengthwise oval opening, however... So those must either be based on reference of another ESB lightsaber prop or it would be a pervasive error... (not unheard of in the community. "windshield-vipers" anyone?)
    The letters beside the openings are too large on the Parks though.

30. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I actually won one off eBay for a little less than asking price. My impressions - extremely accurate repo of an MPP! The tube is heavy, chromed and includes all the little letters near the sockets...the screws beneath the shroud.....The bulb release sort-of works, and the emitter (while being glued on and having an extremely light wrinkle pattern) IS metal and very significant feeling. The grips are junk to me, I'll switch them out eventually. (Rubber like old Yodas House) but I was still blown away. The clamp is way higher quality than the old Yodas House ones. Oh, and the bubbles leave something to be desired, but they slide right out!

31. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

So you are the one who outbid me. Well,...isn't that special.:lol

thd9791 likes this.
  32. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Haha well hello! (Sorry, not sorry) check again ;)

33. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I use Naptha to get glue residue off when I'm removing price tags from vintage collectibles. I'm sure you could use that or Goo Gone.

34. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Use duct tape... fold it over so sticky side is up and press and pull over and over fast... it'll pull all sticky adhesive residue off. No chemicals or wiping... just rapid stick and pull.

thd9791 likes this.
  35. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

WOO-HOO! Looks like they shipped my saber out today. Apparently it was the last one. I know I was shocked about that news. Anyhoo, hopefully it'll be here Thursday- which will be great, cause that's my day off. I'll post some photos once I get it.

36. MCM

Got mine on Saturday. I'm definitely impressed. The grips seem to be rubber covered metal (like what parkshas on his site); in fact, I can see a little bit of metal poking through the end of one of the grips (just barely). I don't mind them too much and am kind of on the fence as to whether or not I want to go through the hassle of removing and replacing them.

The bubbles seem fine, but I've never actually handled legit exactra bubbles. Does anyone know how the parks/tcss bubbles differ from the real deal? Who makes the best replica bubbles?

Now I've just got to figure out if I want to do aluminum side bars on the clamp or keep them black. So the V1 had a nail through the clamp and aluminum side bars, correct? Is the clamp lever gone altogether out affixed to the nail (like a lot of toy renditions seem to indicate)? The V2 should have black bars, and am I correct in that the clamp was put on backwards and upside down? I'm just going from memory here (my pc with all of my ref pics is packed away atm).

And Tom1971, that's such a bummer that the sabers sold out before you had a chance to snag one. If it's any consolation, I REALLY appreciate the heads up. I always seem to have crummy luck with this stuff and am the last to get the news, so I can kinda feel your pain.

russellsch likes this.
  37. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Roy at wannawanga.com when he gets his new batch :) There's a world of difference when you see the real Exactra bubbles : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=73545

Chaim

38. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

This goes for me as well, Tom1971. I was thinking you got one, & then past along the cool info/news on it. I feel badly, but I thank you sir. :cheers

39. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

No worries guys. I'm glad you got good stuff for a reasonable price. This hobby has gotten way expensive over the years.. I have a lot to get right now with limited funds so it's all good.

Pics would be awesome though. :)

Tom

russellsch likes this.
  40. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

As promised, here are some photos of my CSS lightsaber. First though, I would like to thank Tom1971 for the heads up on this piece. Sorry that you missed out on this one, & I owe ya man. Thank you.
    2015-08-13 11.52.36.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.49.37.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.51.16.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.50.36.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.48.12.jpg

mugatu, thd9791 and MCM like this.
  41. MCM

Ah, shoot! russellsch beat me to it. I literally just got done doing a photo shoot with my replica. I suppose that it would be redundant of me to post my pics :unsure :lol

Isn't the second Vader saber (the one from the interrogation scene with black clamp bars) the one that ended up as the ESB/ROTJ hero? If so, since this replica has the larger vertical opening and black clamp bars, I may just convert mine to be more accurate to that saber; the second ANH .

dvanh_ver2.jpg

This pic from partsofsw.com shows the lever being on the opposite side of where it is now and it's lower down against the grips. Looks like I'll have to take the MPP logo plate off as well. Anyone have any tips/advice on how to approach that? Also, I'm assuming that it has 7 t tracks like the other ANH sabers, but does anyone know for sure? I find it interesting that it looks as though the paint had already started chipping off of the shroud, which would then later turn to the rust spots as seen on the prop today :cool

42. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Here are some photos next to the MR ANH Vader (with its sticky grips & all :angry). I do have a noob question or two: what's more accurate, the activation switch in line with the shroud? Or off set like the MR? & was the "Microflash" sign thing actually on the prop?
    I do like the CSS version a lot. I bet it'll actually hold a flash bulb, as that end actually moves. The shroud is not as course as the MR, there's no backing behind the bubbles (like on the MR) so they're very see through, & both ends of the clamp are open (on the MR they're closed off). The MR activation switch sides are chromed - or stainless - while the CSS's are black.
    As said before, I very much like it & the price couldn't be beat.
    Thanks again to Tom1971. You ROCK!! :cheers
    2015-08-13 11.47.31.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.46.00.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.45.22.jpg
    2015-08-13 11.44.28.jpg

43. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

MCM please post your pictures! My computer died, so I had to use my cell phone to take my shots. Otherwise I would've got out the lighting rig & my 100mm f2.8 macro. I love seeing others photos, you'll see things I don't, & want to highlight & show different aspects I missed. It would not be redundant. Hell, isn't that why we're all here? Show your stuff man! :thumbsup :cheers :)

44. MCM

Well, if you insist, I suppose that I can oblige :D
    IMG_5941.JPG IMG_5942.JPG IMG_5943.JPG IMG_5944.JPG IMG_5945.JPG IMG_5946.JPG IMG_5947.JPG IMG_5948.JPG

russellsch likes this.
  45. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They both look awesome guys!

46. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed ... I've heard you can truly pop a flashbulb with these MPP replica's ... the only thing that is 'off' is the position of the D-ring underneath that thumbscrew ... yeah I know it's my thing to discuss D-rings ever since I joined and became an rpf member many eons ago ... but it's just off ... take a good look at the true MPP pictured in post # 41.

The 'Microflash' tag was removed for the movie-prop ... you can just file the tiny rivets from the inside with a dremel or file and they should come loose so you can remove the brandname-tag. I suppose 7 T-tracks were used for the second ANH with black sidebars but I'm not 100% certain ... and why the ANH clamp is not inline with the bulb-release button is still a mystery to me too :wacko

Chaim

russellsch likes this.
  47. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

The pics look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see what an incredible saber this is.

Don't worry about me guys I am on the notify list as soon as they get more in and I will snag one.

Great to see a good alternative to the now out of my price range MR.

Looks awesome all the way around.

Tom

russellsch and MCM like this.
  48. MCM

That's why I can't wait for Roy to finish his shrouds :cool. The d-ring placement on this guy kinda bugs me, too. Some details I can let slide, but knowing that there's a super-accurate version within reach makes me less tolerant of this particular offense :lol. Once the shroud and new calc bubbles are available, I'll definitely be sending some credits his way.

Which brings me to my next point: how in the world are you supposed to remove the shroud? It almost seems as if it's been loctited in place or something (I turned loctite into a verb :facepalm :lol). I thought that I had seen a thread around here somewhere where someone disassembled a Parks MPP but now my searchfu is failing me...

I'm glad that you're on the waitlist. Hopefully it isn't too long. Again, thanks for helping make this lonely little prop enthusiast's existence a bit brighter :cheers:thumbsup

Now, someone's gonna have to cut you off from all of these digital brews before it's too late hahaha.

49. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Normally on a real MPP if you turn the set-screw open on top ... the shroud is loose and can be taken off the tube ... that's all :)

Chaim

50. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Arent there supposed to be engraved rings on the black part on the bottom? That one looks like its just smooth.