The crazy metal wrist blade question...

reaver1

Yeah, I know, it's not something you could get away with at a convention or most public places, but darned if I don't want to get metal blades just to satisfy the fanboy in me. I even know exactly what I want:

WristBlades.jpg

WristBlades-LongB.jpg

Sooo... The question I seek your wisdom in answering - Where would I get these made? At 33 inches long, they're going to be beasty. I don't plan on making them animatronic at all. These would just be mount and done. What are your thoughts? Anyone have an idea where to start? I mean, obviously I have a drawing, which is a start. But where to start on actually getting them made. Thoughts? Ideas? Directions?

Thank you in advance on any guidance you can offer.

The direction I would go since I have the tools would be a sheet of aluminum and a band saw followed by filing. It wouldn't be as 3D and your picture implies but it would be doable at home. Having them laser cut out of stainless would be incredible.

This is how I would do it at home:

Layout your 1:1 drawing on a thin sheet of MDF or another materal thick enough to be a template. Once you have it just right, cut it out.

Now you can trace the design onto the sheet of aluminum using a ultra fine point Sharpie. I wouldn't think bigger then 10 guage would be nessasary. In between 16-10 gauge would probably give you the look you want.

Using a metal cutting blade rough cut the blade out. Then file to your final shape.

If you have clamps and/or a vise then it'll be safer when your filing.

Between sections I would keep the highlights simple or just a line that wound be carved in with a Dremel.

The direction I would go since I have the tools would be a sheet of aluminum and a band saw followed by filing. It wouldn't be as 3D and your picture implies but it would be doable at home. Having them laser cut out of stainless would be incredible.

This is how I would do it at home:

Layout your 1:1 drawing on a thin sheet of MDF or another materal thick enough to be a template. Once you have it just right, cut it out.

Now you can trace the design onto the sheet of aluminum using a ultra fine point Sharpie. I wouldn't think bigger then 10 guage would be nessasary. In between 16-10 gauge would probably give you the look you want.

Using a metal cutting blade rough cut the blade out. Then file to your final shape.

If you have clamps and/or a vise then it'll be safer when your filing.

Between sections I would keep the highlights simple or just a line that wound be carved in with a Dremel.

I've thought about the Dremel. I didn't know if it had enough power to cut/shape aluminum. I wish I had the tools to do this sort of work at home. I could make blades for a living and be perfectly happy....

Hey I'm new around here, But there is another option. I am currently working on a predator suit myself, and I am making mine from actual metal. I cast and pour Bronze and aluminum at the college I attend. If you have any colleges around you that do the same you may be able to have the parts sculpted and poured for you there. Aluminum as you know is lite, and not that expensive to pour if you have it done when the students are doing a group pour. Just something to consider.

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting.

Catalyst47

Hey I'm new around here, But there is another option. I am currently working on a predator suit myself, and I am making mine from actual metal. I cast and pour Bronze and aluminum at the college I attend. If you have any colleges around you that do the same you may be able to have the parts sculpted and poured for you there. Aluminum as you know is lite, and not that expensive to pour if you have it done when the students are doing a group pour. Just something to consider.

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting.

Catalyst47

That is a cool and very interesting idea. When you're working on yours, feel like throwing a couple extra blades in the mix? lol

being that aluminum is light weight it should be no problem using a cd or dvd rom drive to make the blades move back and forth all you need to keep is the board and open/close button and a small litium ion rechargable battery to power it

being that aluminum is light weight it should be no problem using a cd or dvd rom drive to make the blades move back and forth all you need to keep is the board and open/close button and a small litium ion rechargable battery to power it

A good setup idea, but with blades as long as these are meant to be, I wouldn't even try to make them mobile. They would just be permanently fixed to a gauntlet. I still haven't found anyone who can do it for a reasonable price... $300 per blade?!? Ouch!

Here. Give this site a try. They do amazing work. A friend of mine actually had a sword made by them and it turned out fantastic. The blade was VERY serrated , so your design shouldn't be too difficult. He spent about $160.00 for his sword, but it was pretty big, too. The blade was 4.5 inches wide and was 50 inches over all.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back