1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: Full Screen Accurate Build

I certainly hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! Can't believe the new year is almost upon us. Absolutely crazy.

I just wanted to share another piece that finished up. The spinning Radar Dish for the back of the car. This one took a little while to complete, mainly because of how I put it together.

Of course, I went all in on trying to make this as screen accurate as possible. And what people may or may not know, with the original car the dome is attached to the aluminum plate, not by L brackets, which would have been wise and easier to attach everything. No,... they put tiny screws into the side of the plate to hold the dome on.

I have to thank my wonderful wife for helping me hold everything steady, so that I could drill guide holes. Then I took everything to the machine shop and let them do their magic.

I have a red color picked out for when I actually paint the fins, on the car. I took the arrow to the powder coater, we matched up the red paint as best as we could. Now everything should match up when it's ready to go.

And to top it off, I found an original Dayton saw Mandrel, just like what was originally used on the car.

Things are coming together nicely. Are they as quickly as I would like, no. But I think that is half the fun, building these prop pieces and trying to get it as close to the original equipment. At least I'm having fun doing this stuff. I certainly hope you are all enjoying the build process.

Happy New Year!!!

52597251205_45507ffdec_c.jpg

52596818851_071e3b37cd_c.jpg

52596330417_959e990286_c.jpg

52596333477_42724f1f73_c.jpg

52596779091_9b4609409d_c.jpg

52597046169_76cb044b37_c.jpg

52597301678_212fca3395_c.jpg

This one I am particularly excited about because I have been on the hunt for this sucker for the last 3+ years. I searched every single day for this. Now that is dedication. This is the mud flap that was on the original Cadillac, before it was converted to the Ecto-1. It was on the 1984 film car and can be seen at the very beginning of Ghostbusters 2, on the Ecto-1.

There was only this 1 on the car through the years. It disappeared off the car sometime in the 90's, early 2000's.

52997332990_e77270298b_c.jpg

Original Unmodified Cadillac:

52997440308_76cde1a068_c.jpg

Original 1984 Ecto-1:

52996975061_5234782650_c.jpg

Original 1984 Ecto-1 in, Ghostbusters 2:

52997341695_a7d8a8483d_c.jpg

Hey DDMC8, I'm in the process of doing the same thing with a 1962 fleetwood hearse. I'm converting it to a 59. Is there a way I can contact you?
Absolutely, reach out to me anytime. I'm excited to see how your build comes along. You'll have to post a picture on here to show others how gorgeous your car is. ☺️

Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma. I have a strong faith in the Lord, and I feel that it is because of Him that I know my project is coming together, little by little.

Amazingly enough, I actually came across a pair of original, correct Miller-Meteor seats. And not just the correct seats, but the rear facing seat has the correct height to it. More on that in a moment.

Here are my seats:

53055551820_1996f73933_c.jpg

53054586452_09882e2b8b_c.jpg

53055175166_c1204b3c68_c.jpg

Now as I previously mentioned, the rear facing seat has a unique height to it. Pretty much every seat I've seen has this taller back piece. (See Red Arrows)

53055906808_8b2056beab.jpg

This is the one from the original screen used Ecto-1. You can see that this seat backing has a shorter one than in the previous picture.

53054840182_61408f6a37_c.jpg

And you can see that the one I have has that correct height for the seat backing.

53055936253_da501f5e77_c.jpg

So I feel super blessed to keep finding these particular pieces. I think it is super cool.

Last edited:
Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma. I have a strong faith in the Lord, and I feel that it is because of Him that I know my project is coming together, little by little.

Amazingly enough, I actually came across a pair of original, correct Miller-Meteor seats. And not just the correct seats, but the rear facing seat has the correct height to it. More on that in a moment.

Here are my seats:

View attachment 1720324

View attachment 1720325

View attachment 1720326

Now as I previously mentioned, the rear facing seat has a unique height to it. Pretty much every seat I've seen has this taller back piece. (See Red Arrows)

View attachment 1720327

This is the one from the original scree used Ecto-1. You can see that this seat backing has a shorter one than in the previous picture.

View attachment 1720328

And you can see that the one I have has that correct height for the seat backing.

View attachment 1720329

Very nice. Praise God even in the little things. This gives me hope and encouragement to keep looking for my jump seats. If you come across any others PLEASE let me know. Those seats are in incredible shape.

So I feel super blessed to keep finding these particular pieces. I think it is super cool.

This car, this fantastic, beautiful car, has always been on my 'list of cars to model' digitally. Not only is the level of detail in your build spectacular, but a literal treasure trove of reference. I don't have enough experience on previous builds to comment, but for my dollar-you appear to have one of the most detail oriented builds so far. I absolutely love it, cant wait to see more!

This car, this fantastic, beautiful car, has always been on my 'list of cars to model' digitally. Not only is the level of detail in your build spectacular, but a literal treasure trove of reference. I don't have enough experience on previous builds to comment, but for my dollar-you appear to have one of the most detail oriented builds so far. I absolutely love it, cant wait to see more!
Thanks for the great words, this build has been a real passion project to get as close to the original one as possible. Not to knock any other builders, because what they've done is beyond amazing, but they just haven't done most of the things I want to do to my build.

Things that are still on the horizon for this build. And I definitely wish I could move a little faster on this, but I only have so much money. lol

Are there any reference shots that you are needing? I'd be interested in seeing some of your work.

I certainly hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! And want to wish you all a have Happy New Year!! I certainly hope 2024 will be better for everyone!!

As for me, I'm definitely finishing off 2023 on a very high note. I just recently received a prop for the car that is super rare. This is definitely the BIG ONE! Well, at least a piece I thought I would never get. haha I feel so incredibly blessed to have found it, and it makes my car just that much closer to being as screen accurate as you can get.

It is in this box. Anyone want to take a guess on what it is?

53434172409_fec1e02eb2_c.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back