The Cloverfield Paradox (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Oct 26, 2016.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Re: God Particle (Cloverfield Universe)

So another, "not a sequel" but "related" movie that we add some loose tie in to Cloverfield?

3. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

But look at this cast!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  4. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Maybe it's just me but I don't get how Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield lane were connected, one dealt with some sort of giant kaiju like monster that went on a rampage and the other dealt with some sort of alien invasion. Were these supposed to be related events, with them both happening at roughly the same time and the Cloverfield monster originating from or as a result of the alien invasion?

Cephus and Funky like this.
  5. DeLano80

DeLano80 Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. I kinda liked 10 Cloverfield. I need more John Goodman in my life.

Riceball likes this.
  6. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh i'm excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i would love super 8 to be some how connected, i love that movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlotl likes this.
  8. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This Cloverfield movie (not titled God Particle anymore) is still scheduled for February 2, 2018. So about 44 days to go.

Still no trailers or teasers. I love this marketing approach.

I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane very much and I can't wait to be surprised by this. The next film by Paramount Pictures is Downsizing, which is releasing this Friday. So I am hoping a teaser will be attached to it.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  9. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm with you. I never made that connection either. I can appreciate J.J. Abrams being a little secretive, but now he's moving to elitist mode where the only one who knows what's going on is him and it's up to everybody else to figure it out while he sits back and laughs because, you know, he's an artist and he's complicated. :facepalm

Riceball likes this.
  10. jarvis

jarvis Sr Member

I swear I read somewhere that Cloverfield is just used as an umbrella title for sci-fi projects, like the Twilight Zone.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  11. Vivek

halliwax likes this.
  12. Vivek

13. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was just a trailer for this during the Super Bowl, and I'm now seeing it's supposed to be available on Netflix as soon as the game is over!

14. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm stoked!

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  15. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Yes, The Cloverfield Paradox. Tonight on Netflix. Very interesting.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  16. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was dull and poorly written. What a waste.

17. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

WTF. Could have been a bad Black Mirror episode.

Cameron likes this.
  18. wayouteast

wayouteast Active Member

Wow! That was REALLY terrible! Really REALLY terrible! Derivative, dull, badly written, illogical nonsense. And apart from 2 bizarrely irrelevant seconds absolutely nothing to do with Cloverfield at all as far as I could see. What a dismal waste of time and money.

19. Cappy

Cappy Member

Now we all know why it showed up on Netflix and not in theatres.

20. Gimpdiggity

It had the blueprints to be solid...but just...wasn't...at all.

Once they'd established that their experiment could basically break reality, it's like they felt no need to have story elements that made any sense at all. Like the station suddenly sucking that guy's arm into it, the worms reappearing where they did, the compass thing...it all just didn't make any sense.

wayouteast likes this.
  21. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just watched it. I didn't mind it to much. Story was so, so. Loved the sets. (probably most of their budget right there). Tied the first two films together pretty good.

22. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was that the monster at the end the same design as the original one?

23. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

I remember reading that the original Cloverfield monster was supposed to be a baby. The one at the end of this film looked enormous so maybe an adult?

24. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Sr Member

Just watched it, thought it was pretty good. Some weird 'Event Horizon' type stuff but it was other dimensions at play. Who knows how many dimensions. That's why some of the WTF moments were okay with me. I think one of the characters even said "None of the rules apply anymore" or something to that effect. Loved the costumes and sets.

25. SethS

SethS Master Member

That felt like a 90s era SyFy channerl rip-off of Event Horizon.

wayouteast and Gimpdiggity like this.
  26. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

I guess in the entertainment multiverse there are a million slightly different versions of this movie, almost but not quite,identical to the rest.
    Which is why there was nothing in this movie I felt I hadn't watched a thousand times over before. No wonder Paramount sold this to netflix. It was so sci- fi space station crew dying by numbers, you could almost have painted the plot with your eyes closed. Not a terrible film but a terribly boring one.
    It seems to me these days there is just too much of the same kind of sci fi/ fantasy/ thriller/serial killer movie/ TV series being churned out like cardboard boxes . Cloned entertainment. At some point the viewer market is just going to collapse through disinterest.

wayouteast likes this.
  27. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Meh...its free and available from the comfort of my home. Ill watch it.

28. SethS

SethS Master Member

This should be a category on Netflix. SO MANY movies fit into it.

Djblingbling1 likes this.
  29. Lear60man

Popular on Netflix
    TV Dramas
    Because you are bored and watched 'Bright'.

Cameron and SethS like this.
  30. annanake

annanake Sr Member

Well I liked it so ....

31. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Thank God for the mystery box.

32. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Oh my...I just finished it. I can absolutely see why this went to Netflix. Mainly because the SyFy Channel probably passed on it...

33. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I have to pay for my Netflix. Even more this year than last.

34. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I thought it was alright.

I feel like Life (2017) is a much better version of this movie, but that leans more towards Alien than Cloverfield. No paradoxes or reality bending, but very nice sets and space scenery.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  35. Spyhunter2k

Spyhunter2k Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If the goal was to create a generic space mystery film, this movie succeeded.

If the goal was to create an original space mystery film that was fun to watch, it failed miserably.

CutThumb and Gimpdiggity like this.
  36. Gimpdiggity

So I read today that if you sync up Cloverfield and The Cloverfield Paradox, the monster from the first film is first heard at the exact same moment that they fire the particle accelerator in Paradox.

I guess thats kinda cool.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  37. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Yeah, it was just OK for me. You get the feeling that between this and 10 Cloverfield Lane that they'd of been better off actually writing and producing real sequels. Taking films not intended to be connected to cloverfield, and then just adding a few things here and there just seems odd.

From what I've read Paramount only sold this to netflix because it made the film instantly profitable (by 10 million bucks) after reshoots and such the film got pretty expensive.

So, a fourth film in the series is going to be released in theaters. It's set in World War 2. They're calling it "Overlord" for now. It stars Kurt Russell's son Wyatt.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...to-release-4th-cloverfield-movie-theatrically

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  38. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

What an absolute trash-heap. I swear they just threw a bunch of horror ideas into a blender and then stitched some horrible, unoriginal sci-fi techno-jargon together to try and make the Cloverfield cinematic universe fit together.

"Dur if they start that machine it'll uh make the time go different and holes will be in space hur dur!" <-- Actual Cloverfield Paradox script.

Axlotl likes this.
  39. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

Because JJ is a very talented cameraman who is lazy as **** when it comes to virtually anything else about film making, especially the writing. He is always 100% willing to do the easiest and most convenient thing possible.

40. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

JJ and his alternate reality is getting old.

41. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

There are differences and similarities when you sync them up. The collider/monster appears at 18:20. However at 18:20 one movie gets better, the other gets worse.

hdtheater likes this.
  42. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I dont really understand how the Earth in this is supposed to br the same Earth as in Cloverfield when the monster attacks. In the original, theres no mention of Earth being low on power, or in the future, or anything like that, its just presumed to be modern day. But this Earth in Paradox is clearly not modern day.

Also, whos gonna make one of those 3d printed guns?

43. annanake

annanake Sr Member

Its not the same earth .

When they set off the Shepard it popped a hole into the universe like a gunshot through a series of balloons .

Each balloon represents a different version or universe of earth.

Some are at the same point with slight differences , like one different person on the space station as in the movie .
    Some are less advanced or possibly slightly younger , hence the WW2 movie coming up.

Think the movie The One with jet Lee .

The device effected multiple universes like jet Lee did when he killed all the other hims in the various versions of earth .

The 3d gun was fine .

But the bullets ??
    He printed gun powder ?
    Or what ?????

44. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

SCIENCE!!!!

Didn't you catch that painfully forced bit of exposition in which the guy on the news just tells you everything you need to know. Here is the exact quote:

Reporter: Why do you think this generator is bad?
    Man: IT'LL OPEN UP THE SPACE TIME CONTINUUM AND IT'LL MAKE MONSTERS EXIST AND CREATE A BUNCH OF TIMELINES WHERE THERE'RE A TON OF DIFFERENT EARTHS AND MAYBE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT MONSTERS AND TIME DOESN'T REALLY MATTER (AND NEITHER DOES CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT)

The last part wasn't directly said, but it was implied.

Sundowner and Gimpdiggity like this.
  45. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok so that Cloverfield monster at the end wasnt the SAME Cloverfield monster or city from the first film, just an ALTERNATE one. OOkkkkaaayyyy

As for the gun, I assumed it used compressed air or something, not gunpowder.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  46. annanake

annanake Sr Member

I figured compressed air as well BUT it did seem to just print them complete and in magazine .
    I already threw all disbelief let alone suspension of it .

I went in expecting ridiculousness because of the cobbled together scripts , and was surprised it worked as well as it did !

I supposed I expected to little .

Hell the movie even explains TLJ , Lost, star trek and where the 8mm monster came from !
    it rippled that far apparently !

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  47. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

I can see why this didn't get a theatrical release, but I didn't think it was that bad. Entertaining enough if you've got some time to kill.

48. Lear60man

I found myself fast forwarding through about half of it. The sets were awesome but not enough to hold by interest.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  49. Prop Collector

Prop Collector Well-Known Member

Just learned that this was meant to be a different film and they knew that it would flop in wide release so they attached the Cloverfield name and dumped it on Netflix. This is not a great way to build a brand/franchise. Horrible film.

50. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yup.
    "This film was before release confirmed to be the third installment of J.J. Abrams' Cloverfield series. However, it was first supposed to be a movie of its own called God Particle in which, during a war against Russia, a group of American astronauts find themselves at stake when they come upon the fact that Earth has disappeared and that a Russian ship is trying to make contact with them."

The same thing happened with 10 Cloverfield Lane. It was originally another movie and slightly modified to fit the Cloverfield story...which it didn't! :lol

Yup. JJ is a lazy opportunist whose ready to recycle a crappy movie and Make it his own next opus. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018