The Claudette Project - Queen's Blade - With Abby DarkStar and Zendragon

Zendragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
WARNING: This thread may contain "mature" content. Please read at your own risk. This thread may be considered NSFW

So this is a little something different from the normal costume and prop builds here but it's also one of the reasons that we have been kinda quiet. We have been busy building and making stuff for SDCC 13 and now that it's here tomorrow, it's finally mostly done.

Abby has gotten me into watching some Anime. One day we stumble onto a pretty silly, filled with "fan service" anime called "Queen's Blade". It's everything you would expect from a borderline adult anime. Initially we just couldn't watch it passed the first half an episode.

Couple weeks later we went back to it catching a different episode after hearing some friends discussing it. That episode was more interesting so we decided to watch it from the beginning and really enjoyed it. Lots of naked anime boobs? YES. But some very cool costume designs and characters. One in particular caught Abby's attention and we decided to make the costume.

I should make note that we have never made a costume from the ground up. Made parts, modified others, but never actually done a build completely from the ground up. So THIS would be a challenge.

In addition, the costume is pretty small. Think Slave Leia. Fabricating this costume was going to take a fair amount of effort to make it functional and yet still look like the reference material.

So the journey started with one of Abby's storyboard to figure out how the costume would be made

479976_484953824899363_532783691_n.jpg

This is the costume here

426685_531697586891653_555804221_n.jpg

Once we had it figured out, it was time for a trip to track down the supplies.

A trip to a couple of fabric stores as well as "Tandy Leathers" would be a good place to start and several hours later we had most of what we needed.

547930_486077808120298_1575516000_n.jpg

Our goal with this costume was to make it look real. Almost like a Hollywood costume from a movie, so we chose fabrics and materials to replicate the look we wanted, which would include leather, wool, linen and cold cast pieces.

Abby decided to work on her sewing and tackle the soft parts and I decided to tackle the headpiece, the chest armor and the bracer.

We contacted weapons creation master and amazing Conan costumer Dave Collins to create the big broadsword also known as "Thunderclap"

The sword was made in 3 pieces. Blade, hilt, and pommel weree made of Lucite for superior durability. A 1" x 1/4" steel bar was inserted through the hilt and blade and held in place with small set screws. It is about 65" long

535535_492995750761837_1837933400_n.jpg

There is more to follow... if you are going to SDCC tomorrow and this weekend Abby will be wearing it on Sat and you can see it in person.

Claudette- Queen's Blade Cosplay
Character: Claudette
Material: Queen's Blade (anime)
Debut: SDCC 2013

For SDCC 2013 Zen and I started the ambitious project of Claudette from the anime Queen's Blade. For those unfamiliar with an anime, it is what is considered "ecchi", which means there are uncovered breasts and heavy innuendo.

While being no stranger to a sexy costume, this was a whole new ball game for us. I wanted to do the costume not because of the unclothed state of the character but because SHE KICKS ASS. Claudette is the Thunder Cloud General, top of her game and all around bad ass.

So- not much to the costume, it will be easy won't it? NOPE! One thing about smaller costumes...there is no room to hide mistakes! Mess up that seam? Armor slightly lopsided? You can't hide!!

This costume was entire made by me and my other half, Zendragon (facebook page here: facebook.com/keabtium). The only piece not made by us was the sword which was done by Dave C (it was a wedding present). We did the finishing/painting on it though.

There was a lot of tests, retests and redo's. It was a combination of worbla, cold cast resin, leather, fabric and etc.

There was much debate about the size of the top on my facebook page (here: facebook.com/abbydarkstar) but if you look at the reference art, I actually made the top LARGER than the artwork. I wanted to go for as accurate as possible while still maintaining SOME modesty.

More progress photos on either page:

facebook.com/keabtium or facebook.com/abbydarkstar

REFERENCE:
reference arm.jpgreference art.jpgreference art 2.jpg

Bra Top:

Bra top tests (done on my chest cast): First done in epoxy sculpt, tested in worbla, which didn't give the curve we were looking for, decided to complete in epoxy sculpt to use for a mold.
View attachment 232962

The mold was then done in Rebound 25 silicone, and backed with plasti-paste for strength.
View attachment 232963
The resin used was Smooth Cast 325 with aluminum poweder mixed in for cold cast.
Bra being reinforced with fiber glass, lined with leather and straps resined into it.
View attachment 232972View attachment 232973View attachment 232974View attachment 232971View attachment 232975

Comparison tests of the bra.
View attachment 232964
Headpiece:

Was done in worbla and paper. Main piece was worbla, patterned all in paper. The crown portion was done first in paper, strengthened with resin that was poured in, then out several times to keep it light but strong.
View attachment 232965View attachment 232966View attachment 232967View attachment 232968View attachment 232969

All the straps for the costume, for the top, thighs, etc were all hand made! Using double stick tape to keep the seam lines straight they were then sewn on the machine!
View attachment 232970

The arm armor was patterned in paper, and then done in worbla. The worbla was backed with foam sheets. At first we used velcro to attach it to itself, but at SDCC it proved to be problematic for movement. We added in chicago screws at the joints which made it a lot more functional.

View attachment 232982View attachment 232983

The armband was worbla, rolled around a piece of rope for perfect shape!
View attachment 232984

Belt was cut on the curve into heavy leather, then patterned the design for the belt onto a lighter leather, painted it and then glued to the leather belt.
View attachment 232985View attachment 232986

Jewelry was made using base pieces from Michaels, assembling and then painting them.
View attachment 232987

The "butt cape" was made in a wool, using one panel of a cape pattern, which then I sliced the top off to use for the ruffle for the top (hand pleated), Horse hair hem for the flow of the bottom.

butt cape 2.jpghorsehair hem on butt cape.jpg

The one sleeved, half top was used using a kwik sew pattern and modifying it. Also in a stretch wool.
Claudette top.jpgmid point progress.jpgshirt progress.jpg

The shoes were my crowning achievement: I used a base shoe, cut away from the toe, and then covered it in worbla. I then made a leather shoe cover and adhered it to the shoe. I did a test piece in leather before using the actual brown leather that we bought at tandy. I (no pic) used snaps on the back so I could get into the shoe easily.
base shoe and worbla.jpgmodifying shoes.jpg
shoe prgress.jpgshoe template.jpgthe shoes.jpgworbla base shoe with leather pattern.jpg

Using worbla, the shoe armor was made.
Claudette shoe template.jpgClaudette shoes progress.jpg

Leggings and straps:

Claudette leggings.jpgstraps for claudette.jpg

And the sword, made out of Lucite by Dave C, finished by us:
leather wrapped sword.jpgsword assembled.jpgsword progress.jpg

Final:

Claudette Final.jpg
557674_577370682324343_1452227122_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back