The Bowler Fett

Parachristo

Hey guys,
I am normally much more active on the Marvel page of the RPF, but I LOVE Star Wars as well. I recently started my own company where I make custom hats. A long time friend and new customer recently approached me with a really cool mashup off two different ideas.

WARNING: SOME OF YOU WILL HATE THIS SOME OF YOU WILL LOVE THIS... (you have been warned)

We are going to make him a hat that he can wear to conventions that is a mashup of a classic Bowler hat and Boba Fetts helmet.

Here is what we are going to combine BobaFettHelmet.jpgBowlerNGentleman.jpg

Here is the newest version of the Bowler Fett.... Please tell what you think

BowlerFettNew.jpeg

Last edited:
So you may ask what is it going to look like???? Since I am a Computer animation and Video game design teacher I knocked out a little 3d model and rendered it

Well tell me what you think.

My next step is to import a silver hat body in from Poland, and build the Hat block custom to fit his head size.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/bishopshats/videos/vb.888858611185829/936697809735242/?type=1&theater[/video]

BowlerFett.jpegBowlerFett2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. The two arrows will DEFINITELY be added when the final hat is made!!!! I have struggled to get the visor shape included. He wanted a nice hat that he could wear around town and at the same time have something truly unique to wear at conventions. I might see about shape a little bit more visor into the front to re-emphasize Boba into the hat

Thank you very much for your observation!!! I want this thing to be perfect and that is one of the reasons that i brought it here.

I think the band should be a bit thicker. Also the red should be a bit more muted. The yellow hash mark are a bit to subtle, but they are there. Do you have an image of how the weather would look like in real life?

Once again I agree. The texture maps that I used were off of a picture that was on the web. I used the actual colors from an existing helmet (three different ones to be precise). This has not been built in real life yet I only have the rendered file. It is my working prototype. i have significantly improved the model and I will be posting pics VERY soon.

Ok Guys tell me what you think.... I improved the look by significantly adding the look of the visor. I was struggling with this earlier but I am MUCH happier with the overall appearance now
.BowlerFettNew.jpeg

bobawlahat.jpg
I was typing out another response and lost the page
Here is another take on it.
Maybe RP a clip that has the face/visor print it in 3D use some feathers for details.

On your new version, maybe if the visor is a ribbon within a ribbon somehow tied together like a bow.

Sadly I am pretty sure that I don't care for that hat at all. It is my goal to start of with a silver hat body (the felt that a hat is made from) and then use dyes to bring in the greens and yellow to make it looks aged and worn. I would like to take hat hat and greatly improve upon it. After all where is the dent? Its not Boba without the dent!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW might I mention that I am really impressed that you found that hat at all. i looked and couldn't find anything initially

Well, good luck with your project. I just like to photoshop for fun. Dent can be added, but thats neither here nor there.

Thank you,
I got my start with photoshop!!! Boy you talk about a fun program!!!! Did you make that picture in photoshop? I am quite impressed if that is the case. i didn't see any of the tale tell signs of photoshop at all.

Well there are a few base images used of course just clipped and placed together, this not is not a real hat you can get someplace it just a PS image.
One thing with having having hats on, is there a certain classiness or classic look you want to keep. Please post pics of what your final result looks like.

Sorry to thread jack, but could I get more info on your services?
I myself have quite a collection of bowler/derby hats and I'm always looking to add to my assortment.
Im not into the "themed" thing, but more custom colors and trim.
Thank you.

I think the fact that you said you were going to dye and trim the Bowler custom is what got me interested as well. here is the base photo for that bowler. The fordground trim on the brim looks funny otherwise a good shot to mess with.

667086f733cdc99c972b30431760d000.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fact that you said you were going to dye and trim the Bowler custom is what got me interested as well. here is the base photo for that bowler. The fordground trim on the brim looks funny otherwise a good shot to mess with.

View attachment 476507
Thats Great!!! Photoshop is such a blast and you seem to be very talented with it! Keep up the good work!!! (I thought the original photo was real)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to thread jack, but could I get more info on your services?
I myself have quite a collection of bowler/derby hats and I'm always looking to add to my assortment.
Im not into the "themed" thing, but more custom colors and trim.
Thank you.

Absolutely!!!! I am an old world hatter that makes custom, one off, hats for customers. I have the capability to make a hat for you to exacting standards and you have all of the opportunities to customize whatever you wish however you wish.

I normally don't make themed hats either, but I am a huge nerd!!! I actually REALLY enjoy a challenge. Since I create/carve my own hat blocks I can make almost anything imaginable

My web page and Etsy store are in development because I spend all of my time filling orders and making hats for my customers. I would be more than happy to help you out and make you something truly incredible and heirloom quality.

Please feel to peruse my work and contact me through my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/bishopshats

OK, so some extra fun My customer and we just did a measuring of his head and he is a XXX-Large. There is no way he would ever be able to get this hat any where else. XXX-Large hat blocks(the shape that a hat is crafted over) aren't rare they are XXXtra rare.... Since I make my own custom Hat blocks for customers, He will be able to get one from me. I am going to start making his hat block tomorrow and I will start posting some pictures for you guys.

Hey Guys trying to keep everyone updated....

After quite a bit of effort, I finally got the initial shape of the hat crown drawn cut and foam glued together to make the hat block. A hat block is what a hatter, such as myself, uses to shape the hat body over. The Hat body is the felt that the hat is made of. This customer wanted to have a wool felt. There are higher qualities of felt like Fur, Velour, and Beaver but they are more expensive. Here is what the block looked like while the glue was curing all last night.

HatBlocks.jpg
This is a picture of the four different blocks that I am currently making for customers. The one in the back, with weights on it, is going to be a Top Hat, the one furthest away is going to be a Cowboy hat, the one in the middle is going to be a Purple Bowler with white trim, and the one closest to us is the Bowler Fett Hat block. I then took my lunch time and used it constructively and shaped the really rough hat block into a much more pleasing shape.

Boba Fett Bowler hat block.jpg
This block is almost finished. it needs to be sanded down for final finish and it needs the cord groove carved into the wood base. When this is finished it will be ready to make a hat. So it is now time to import the hat body in from Poland and start blocking the shape. I am going to use this one....

Hat Body.jpg

This will give me the base color of the base metal exposed by the scratches and scrapes on the helmet. It will also be seen in the dent on the front of the helmet. It is always best to start with the lightest colors and dye the felt to get the darker colors (Green, Dark green, Yellow/Orange, and Red) that are evident on the helmet

boba-fett-helmet.jpg

I am super excited about this build and can't wait to show you guys the next update

I am sorry for not responding to your post sooner than now!!!! I would be more than happy to make a Bowler Fett for you as well!!! My general cost is $100 for this hat. On top of this cost will of course be shipping and handling to get it to you. Since this is a completely new hat Please follow this thread and let me work out all of the kinks that may arise. I you like the final product making one for you should be be super simple.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back