"The Black Hole" Robot Party

Great photo! Thank you for sharing.

Do you have it in a higher resolution?

Were any Sentry Robot props present at the Disney Archives?

The last time I was on the lot (last summer) they had a few BH props scattered around. Vincent and the Humanoid were on display in one of the archives offices. In some other cabinets, there were some Sentry pistols and a Palomino pistol -

long-time-ago-black-hole-scratchbuild-bh-gun1-1k.jpg-19615d1263419764

long-time-ago-black-hole-scratchbuild-bh-gun2-1k.jpg-19620d1263419764

As for the Sentry - they did have a painted Sentry head that had not been finished (the mouth/ear grills were not cut out and the mesh was not installed). From what I was told, most of the parts that survived filming (and I don't know exactly how many full suits were made) were stored for a while and ultimately wound up in a wood chipper (shades of "Fargo") in the mid 80's (probably when they cleared their backlot outbuildings for the expansion of the lot). Consequently, I don't know if they even have enough parts to assemble a full Sentry.

The raw fiberglass was (at least on this piece) tinted red. Red paint appears to have been applied over that and then light coats of black have been liberally oversprayed over the red. Overall, this dulled the red and made it a shade of burgundy. Heavier areas just look black -
attachment.php

This is a different mask than the one above. The owner doesn't have the rest of the helmet. The inside of the mask doesn't look that comfortable -
attachment.php

- there may have been three vision slits, but with a piece of 80% mylar covering the eye tubes - good luck seeing anything.

The mesh seems like standard industrial mesh. It's a slightly thicker grade than standard window screen mesh (I know, I looked.....) -
black-hole-screening-l-new-photos-page-two-sentryrobothead-009t.jpg-27364d1276403035

black-hole-screening-l-new-photos-page-two-sentryrobothead-008t.jpg-27363d1276403035

I have a casting that a member here sold me that was purported to be off of the plaster master that Disney used to make their molds. Turns out that was the case. Compared to the uncut casting in the Disney Archives, and the finished but unpainted casting seen above, the casting has a lot of the same details and is the same size -
black-hole-screening-l-new-photos-page-two-bh-heads.jpg-27163d1276105235

I finished my bust in time for a screening of BH last summer. I like the fact that the casting hasn't been too idealized. It looks like the real thing would look like - some slight asymmetry and bumps - save for the heavy wear and tear -

attachment.php

You can read more about the screening here - the black hole screening

Gene

The last time I was on the lot (last summer) they had a few BH props scattered around. Vincent and the Humanoid were on display in one of the archives offices. In some other cabinets, there were some Sentry pistols and a Palomino pistol -

long-time-ago-black-hole-scratchbuild-bh-gun1-1k.jpg-19615d1263419764

long-time-ago-black-hole-scratchbuild-bh-gun2-1k.jpg-19620d1263419764

As for the Sentry - they did have a painted Sentry head that had not been finished (the mouth/ear grills were not cut out and the mesh was not installed). From what I was told, most of the parts that survived filming (and I don't know exactly how many full suits were made) were stored for a while and ultimately wound up in a wood chipper (shades of "Fargo") in the mid 80's (probably when they cleared their backlot outbuildings for the expansion of the lot). Consequently, I don't know if they even have enough parts to assemble a full Sentry.

The raw fiberglass was (at least on this piece) tinted red. Red paint appears to have been applied over that and then light coats of black have been liberally oversprayed over the red. Overall, this dulled the red and made it a shade of burgundy. Heavier areas just look black -
attachment.php

This is a different mask than the one above. The owner doesn't have the rest of the helmet. The inside of the mask doesn't look that comfortable -
attachment.php

- there may have been three vision slits, but with a piece of 80% mylar covering the eye tubes - good luck seeing anything.

The mesh seems like standard industrial mesh. It's a slightly thicker grade than standard window screen mesh (I know, I looked.....) -
black-hole-screening-l-new-photos-page-two-sentryrobothead-009t.jpg-27364d1276403035

black-hole-screening-l-new-photos-page-two-sentryrobothead-008t.jpg-27363d1276403035

I have a casting that a member here sold me that was purported to be off of the plaster master that Disney used to make their molds. Turns out that was the case. Compared to the uncut casting in the Disney Archives, and the finished but unpainted casting seen above, the casting has a lot of the same details and is the same size -
black-hole-screening-l-new-photos-page-two-bh-heads.jpg-27163d1276105235

I finished my bust in time for a screening of BH last summer. I like the fact that the casting hasn't been too idealized. It looks like the real thing would look like - some slight asymmetry and bumps - save for the heavy wear and tear -

attachment.php

You can read more about the screening here - the black hole screening

Gene

Thanks a lot for these photos and informations!

I think we've chatted about the Sentry several times before...

Maybe it might be of any interest to you, since I'm owning the plaster mold now, but it's still in restoration since it was badly damaged during the long shipping way from the U.S. to Germany. :cry

After the restoration work is complete, I plan to commission a fully wearable helmet and chestplate as well as replicating the rest of the armor to make a complete costume.

Say, dou you have any in-depth information of how the faceplate were secured to the helmet? Does some magnets provided some additional support or was it just the four screws at the neck which held it together?

Last edited:
WOW! GREAT PICS GUYS!

These are all I have, with a toy pic for fun. I hope this helps. The STAR Sentry I believe was made of rubber, and this pic of the STAR Sentry head as he is now was posted on the RPF years ago. I just found it on my old drive.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• vincent.jpg
    vincent.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,053
..........Say, dou you have any in-depth information of how the faceplate were secured to the helmet? Does some magnets provided some additional support or was it just the four screws at the neck which held it together?

Bummer about the damage, but at least you have it. The casting I got was hollow (rotocast), but by no means wearable. You'll have to make a fiberglass casting for that.

Based on what I've seen of the real things, it appears that the back and top of the helmet are an integral piece, with the faceplate using a little tab at the top to keep it in place. Both halves are bolted to the upper torso. I suspect the faceplate was done that way for quick removal.

Gene

Bummer about the damage, but at least you have it. The casting I got was hollow (rotocast), but by no means wearable. You'll have to make a fiberglass casting for that.

Based on what I've seen of the real things, it appears that the back and top of the helmet are an integral piece, with the faceplate using a little tab at the top to keep it in place. Both halves are bolted to the upper torso. I suspect the faceplate was done that way for quick removal.

Gene

Here's the only pic I have at this time:

As you can see, there are still a few flaws to work out, but it's nice to have it in one piece again. ;)

I'll certainly post more photos after I've got it back!

Thanks for the little insight as well! I think it wouldn't difficult to build the helmet. But the rest of the costume will be a challenge since there is little to no reference available to work from...

I'd also appreciate some more photos of the faceplate from different angles, if you want to share them. You could also mail them to me if you wish.

I always liked those dual-barrel pistols. FWIW, one or two of the full Sentry suits were on display at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim back in the early to mid-80s. I was pretty excited to see them in person, so to speak.

I also found my Maximillian and Sentry figures at my parents' house recently.

I always liked those dual-barrel pistols. FWIW, one or two of the full Sentry suits were on display at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim back in the early to mid-80s. I was pretty excited to see them in person, so to speak.

I also found my Maximillian and Sentry figures at my parents' house recently.

Ah, very interesting...

Were you able to get a few photos of it?

Incredible pics guys! Whenever this kit comes out, please send me a PM. I would get rid of some very strange things in my collection to get a 1:1 scale sentry robot mask, never mind a whole suit! Keep up the excellent work, Redeye and GKvfx!:thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back