The Big Bang Theory - lightsabers over Howard's bed?

MadMike

Hey boys and girls,
I was watching a rerun of TBBT lately (S4EP04, "The Hot Troll Deviation" I guess), and there I noticed the two lightsabers hanging over Howard's bed. (for those of you who don't know them, here a picture of Howard's bedroom)
howards_bedroom.jpeg

I've seen them before, and I know that they can light up, but what I noticed only now is that Howard lights them up with a remote control (at least it seemed so; unfortunately I couldn't find a video of this scene to prove me right or wrong).
I did a quick internet-search and landed on squidoo.com, a website listing
a lot of props appearing on TBBT, and they say what's hanging over his bed are two "Master Replica Yoda Force FX Lightsabers".

Now, my question to both, the lightsaber- and the BBT-experts:
first of all, are they remote-controlled, or am I misleading?
And if they are, is that possible with Master Replica lightsabers? Or is the information on squidoo wrong? (and if so, what kind of lightsaber could it be?)

Thanks in advance,
Michael

They changed later on in the series to two master replica lightsabers, the special effects department proberly wired them up to turn on via a switch or remote control,
standard mr sabers do not switch on via remote

They changed later on in the series to two master replica lightsabers, the special effects department proberly wired them up to turn on via a switch or remote control,
standard mr sabers do not switch on via remote

Yes, what he said.

So it really matters on which ones you are asking about. If you are talking about the blue one in your picture, then like others said, maybe some unofficial toy/replica but those are never shown to light up.

The ones you see light up in later shows, are the ROTJ FX (as already indicated)

Furthermore, I would be willing to bet that while I am sure they have been modified to light up via wiring, I doubt that they are actually hooked to the remote control. Most likely the lighting department is in charge of ensuring they light up upon the actor motioning the activation on the remote. With that being said, I am sure someone clever enough could turn them into remote control, or even an Iphone app. :p

In a re-run episode that was just on here, S5E5, (The Russian Rocket Reaction--with Wesley Crusher AND Data!!) Howard definitely turned on the light sabers a remote--first the music, then the light sabers, both sabers lit up green. It's about 2/3 of the way through the episode.

I took a stab at a print screen but only got one chance as the silly vid didn't have a rewind and I wasn't going to set through the first part of the show again!! In this clip, he's just turned them on and is still holding the remote.....
howard%20LS.jpg

Sabers un-lit

howard%20LS%202.jpg

More pics of the un-lit sabers here

Shylaah

In a re-run episode that was just on here, S5E5, (The Russian Rocket Reaction--with Wesley Crusher AND Data!!) Howard definitely turned on the light sabers a remote--first the music, then the light sabers, both sabers lit up green. It's about 2/3 of the way through the episode.

Just because Howard used a remote on the show (because I am aware he did when i made my original statement), it does not mean it was actually hooked up/functional. I not sure if you are aware of this but in Star Trek, the actors are not really in a starship traveling in space. And while I do not know for sure about the sabers being controlled by the lighting/set crew (although to me that makes the most sense), I also know that due to the magic of TV, you can't always believe what your eyes are seeing.

^^^ I'm not sure if you're aware of this but Shylaah just confirmed to the OP that Howard used a remote which is what the OP asked.

^^^ I'm not sure if you're aware of this but Shylaah just confirmed to the OP that Howard used a remote which is what the OP asked.

Oh geez... what MJF is saying is that even though Howard presses the button on a remote, that's that the actual press that turned on the sabers.

It's probably just a well-timed switch being pressed for the effect by an off-screen person. IE, why go to all the trouble to set up a remote control when you can just have somebody throw the switch at the right time.

I get that, just thought the actors are not really in a starship traveling in space was a bit unnecessary. To each his own I guess. it would be pretty cool to have a working remote :lol

I saw the episode and thought about doing it as well. I just assumed they may have had them running off an AC/DC adapter into one of those remote AC power outlets I have one on my B9 that I use as a nightlight when my son has friends over and they sleep in the lounge.

Ok, first of all, thank you for answering.
Yes, I know the picture I posted was kind of ****ty, but I noted too late that there aren't the lightsabers I wanted to show.

And I don't wanna give my two cents to this whole "perhaps someone from the crew switched them on and off"-story, though the reactions are sometimes funny to watch :lol

Anyway, thank you very much for IDing the lightsabers in the show, but espeacially NintendoLiam, THANK YOU for the link!
The reason why I originally posted this here is that I thought something like Howard has there would be a cool gimmick (perhaps over my bed...or anywhere else in my apartment), but given the fact that one of these MR lightsabers would cost me more than 200$, it would be a pretty expensive lamp (especially when considering that they aren't designed as lamps in the first place), AND it could become very annoying if you always have to climb on the bed or a chair to switch them of (as MR lightsabers obviously don't come with a remote control).

Our home improvement store sells some colored flourescent tubes that come with a black base (where all the wiring is hidden, I guess), and I thought of buying two of these and panting the bases or something like that to make them look like lightsabers.
But now I guess I will give these scones a try. Again, thank you for posting the link!

In one episode I believe Howard used a "clap-on/clap-off" method as well. Its been a while since I've seen the episode but I'll run through the series and try and figure it out as I have the full series on DVD. LoL I'll keep you posted, unless anybody else can tell me if I'm right or not.

The remote controll light sabers are $ 24.99 each on Ebay.

The remote controlled light sabers are $ 24.99 each on Ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

The remote controlled light sabers are $ 24.99 each on Ebay.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back