The Betty model, replica prop fix

srspicer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Greetings All,
Been too long since I posted some work here. I have been recently commissioned to re-work an existing model of the Betty from Alien Resurrection. The model was created using drawings that look like they were used by the studio fx department to create the filming model. Unfortunately, the drawings do not represent the filming model as it was created. That made the model I received a bit inaccurate. So, there will be de-construction involved, as well as some 3D modeling to get it closer to the filming model.
First, I had to correct a simple problem, symmetry. This side wall was glued in out of alignment. I had to hammer and chisel the joints appart and re-weld them in place. Lucky for me, the acrylic walls were super-glued, and not plastic-welded. They came apart fairly easily. The entire base structure of the model is made out or .250" acrylic sheet, making it quite heavy, approximately one pound.
IMG_3297 2.JPGIMG_3301.JPG
Next is fixing another issue with the main engine support walls. They are too long, sticking out too far from the hull. So, time to cut and grind the material back. I have penciled-in the proper shape on the model. More cutting and grinding will be required.
IMG_3388.JPGIMG_3387.JPG
In the meantime, I have started creating parts in Fusion 360. The side cargo boxes were not accurate so, I chiseled those off to make way for the new parts I am creating.

IMG_7962.jpgIMG_3176.JPG Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.13.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.57.51 PM.png

Lots to do, I will update here regularly. Thanks for looking.

The first 3D part I created was the large main engine. I did not have the model in hand at the time, it was a part to have printed for costing and a guide for print resolution.
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.35.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.35.35 AM.png
The part turned out fine, a little anomaly in the print, but it was just a test. Now that I have the model in hand, I worked out the engine size and placement on the model and did a test fit. It turned out that the part was too large for scale, so I just scaled it down and it looks good with the rest of the parts in the 3D file.
IMG_3166-1.JPGIMG_3168.JPGIMG_3083.JPG
Thanks for looking.

There are many highly complex and beautiful shapes on this one. I am so looking forward to your progress. What scale is this?

i always liked this movie, probably because of the Betty! looks like a nice size and some really fine work!
i look forward to updates!

Thats a great size, just nice for display when its all done!! I have not read any where else if someone has documented the kit parts used on this mama. Keep up the awesome work.

Finished creating what I call the top box. The 1/4" holes will be filled in after it is secured to the model. The wholes will allow me to add 1/4 posts to the top of the model to locate the box in the proper location and keep it secure.
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 1.07.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-28 at 1.09.01 AM.png
The model came with this part, but if was not accurate
IMG_7975.jpg
Thanks for looking and all of the positive feed back!

I have the rear box with louvers completed. This was kinda tricky to get because of the odd angles. It took a couple of tries to get the louvers correct. Then I had to make them locate inside the box so they would line up properly. All of these parts are designed to be removable for painting by the client. I will have to either pin them or create a backing plate that will be glued in place.
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.42.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.44.20 AM.png

As you mentioned; many of those parts have to be designed to be removable for paintingo_O...an added challenge for sure.
Keep up the great work and eager to see your next update:cool::cool:(y)(y)

Finished creating what I call the top box. The 1/4" holes will be filled in after it is secured to the model. The wholes will allow me to add 1/4 posts to the top of the model to locate the box in the proper location and keep it secure.
View attachment 1569735View attachment 1569736
The model came with this part, but if was not accurate
View attachment 1569737
Thanks for looking and all of the positive feed back!
What kinda material did you use to build these shapes?

Thanks everyone!
What kinda material did you use to build these shapes?
What you are seeing is a mix of the filming model, the finished model, and the parts that were made by another modeler, the grey parts. All of the parts I have made so far, are virtual. I am waiting for a test print of one of the boxes to be completed.

I am particularly proud of this next part. When I looked over the filming model, I knew exactly what I was looking at. It is the rear deck, engine cover for an M48A3 Patton tank. My father was a tank driver when he was in the Army. He actually drove the M47, but it is virtually identical. He has a model kit he built up, back when I was a kid. I always remember looking at that model and thinking how cool it must have been to drive it!
M47E2-Patton copy.jpegenginedeck copy.jpegrear deck parts.jpeg
I took some time, but I managed to get some good photo research. The images of the kit parts were a huge help. They enabled me to accurately recreate the kit part almost exactly. (y) I don't know which manufacturer's kit was used on the filming model, but mine just had to look right. I just had to scale it to the physical model I have.
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 2.43.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-19 at 4.13.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-19 at 4.14.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 4.15.01 AM.png

Thanks for looking!

Thanks much Analyzer!
Completed work on the main wing engines. The wing parts I have are just the left & right wings, no engines. There is a flat area for them to go.
IMG_3133.JPG
I decided to go with the part being split in half. That way I don't have to cut the wing apart and reassemble it around the engine, making it a weak area. The halves will fit over the wing. The front and rear nozzles will be separate parts to be added to the halves. This will allow them to locate the halves together properly. There is some nice detailing in the intake section.
Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.14.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.52.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.51.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.52.23 AM.png
And part of the process..
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.00.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.01.28 AM.png
Thanks for looking!

Also have most of the small greeblies completed that surround the tank hull. These were tedious to get finished. A lot of measuring and studying of the images. Again, I wish I knew what kit parts these were. Maybe someday I will start a discussion about identifying the kits parts for the Betty. For now, best guess will have to do. I have a couple more parts to create. The double-check will be when I add the piping in. That will show if I have sizes correct.
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 2.04.18 AM.png
Thanks for looking.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back