The best obi anh lightsaber replica?

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think it would be cool to build a lightsaber. If you were going to build one out of replica parts today (not actual), would someone give me the 'recipe'? I want it to be as close as possible (part size/shape, color, etc...)

I would say that Romans grenade (although I think he is sold out), booster, hand wheel are the closest available NOW. The steel booster coming from Andres and Gabe will be more acurate in terms of material, and shape matching the original. It should available in the next few months. As far as emitter, well, no one currently makes one that is exactly the same as the original. BUT Romans latest emitter is pretty close, but a little scaled down. However, they are not available on his site. I think there will be a new emitter coming after the Booster from Andres ;) Hope that helps. Later.

The first thing I would do is wait. In the next few moths you will see a number of parts coming up for sale that will be more accurate than anything previously offered. However, if you want to have the saber now, then I would get your parts from Roman's Empire.
But be aware that within a month, Prop Runner and Serifino will be offering the most accurate parts yet and they will be produced in steel.
I would order a replica booster and emmiter(coming soon) from Prop Runner and Serifino; a replica pommel from Roman's Empire; and a graflex clamp from either Roman, Parks, or e-bay.

As to the grenade, the two now available Roman's and Parks' both have their pros and cons. Romans are more accurate in size and shape, but Park's are made from more accurate materials (steel rather than aluminum). If I had to choose between the two I would go with Roman, his grenades look pretty good, the only problem is taht since they are aluminum, you cannot weather them like you would with steel. Also, Roman is a good guy to deal with.

Also, be aware that there may be a run of new more accurate steel greandes from Serifino in the future, but that might be a long wait (he still has to make us boosters and emmiters :p )

Hope that helps.

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

Emmiter was the Obee1 in my opinion. It's almost wxact to the original but the walls in some places are thinner, it doesn't have the curved ring of holes, and has a couple of bevels that are off slightly.

It is pretty damn close though.

Grenade Chen's is the most accurate in my opinion. It's steel and looks real close to the original.

Clamp Umm... Graflex!!

Resistors Chen's. I heard Stormpath makes them to.

Booster Serafino's will be the best. It's 100% steel and matches the existing photos as close as you can. Romans is Aluminum, but looked real good when he weathered it.

Pommel The Stainless a member here did is the best one. No info on it's availability or maker yet. Romans is Chromed Aluminum and they look really nice.

FB

Last edited:
I'm clearly not as knowledgable as others here, but for convience sake, I say Romans. I'm getting my parts through him.

Thanks guys.

So the necessary parts are:

Emmiter
Grenade
Clamp
Resistors
Booster
Pommel

Any extra nuts/bolts/rods/spacers/etc... needed, or do they all fit together as is?

Originally posted by clutch@Jan 5 2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys. 

So the necessary parts are:

Emmiter
Grenade
Clamp
Resistors
Booster
Pommel

Any extra nuts/bolts/rods/spacers/etc... needed, or do they all fit together as is?
[snapback]1151567[/snapback]​

It depends on how you build it. I know on Roman's older stuff, you needed a threaded rod, but not sure on his newer ones. I would guess that you'd still need one, it screws into the pommel and fits through the booster. The graflex clamp clamps onto the booster, the grenade goes on to (with the rod fitting through the windvane on the grenade, and then through the bottom hole on the emitter. You can use a nut (inside the emmiter) to secure everything, or use some sort of washer. Screw the transistors into the clamp, insert the calculator bubbles and you're all set.

Plus, you might want to get two of each parts. If you want one, weathered and the other prestine clean. i guess thats just personal preference.
thanks
darthsniks

Originally posted by jlee562@Jan 5 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm clearly not as knowledgable as others here, but for convience sake, I say Romans.  I'm getting my parts through him.
[snapback]1151485[/snapback]​

As mentioned earlier you'll be needing a clamp spacer. Just thought I'd let you know that Roman sells one.

Romans booster is only one part. It doesn't have the flange with the ring of holes part, which is what some people think the wires were attached to.

You don't need to hollow out the spacer if you don't have the flange with the holes.

The clamp won't clamp on to the booster without that flange though.

If you have an original one or the Serafino one, you will have to hollow out the spacer to accommodate the Nut on the Booster Flange. The flange fits into the clamp just right.

FB

Last edited:
Let's not forget the bag of candy that they stuffed in to the clamp either. :lol

Just kidding. Sorry. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Here's the deal. No one knows what was inside the clamp, and I personally don't buy the flange theory. If you get the flange and decide to use that for attachment, you're going to have a very flimsy saber. You have about a 1/4 of "meat" for the clamp to hold on to.... AND there will be nothing to properly rest the grenade against inside the clamp if it's empty. No way for you to tighten your saber if the clamp is empty either.

So one might say... then you make/buy a spacer to ADD to the flange so it will correctly space the booster & grenade...

Hmmm... doesn't make sense to add an extra step in there when you can just get a spacer already made to do all of the above, and leave the flange out since NO ONE knows what was really inside the prop.

But that's just me, Mr. Less Steps For The Same And Best Results

Originally posted by MikeyX+Jan 6 2006, 03:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeyX @ Jan 6 2006, 03:29 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jlee562
@Jan 5 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm clearly not as knowledgable as others here, but for convience sake, I say Romans.  I'm getting my parts through him.
[snapback]1151485[/snapback]​

As mentioned earlier you'll be needing a clamp spacer. Just thought I'd let you know that Roman sells one.
[snapback]1152033[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yup, got that too. Mine should be arriving next week with the rest of the Rebelscum group order.

Originally posted by franz bolo@Jan 6 2006, 09:11 AM
You don't need to hollow out the spacer if you don't have the flange with the holes.
FB
[snapback]1152144[/snapback]​

Roman's, that's what I said. :p :p

There will be a lot of people who will get the Flange version and some will have an original version, so this info is important for those people.

There is no reason not to use the flange if you have it. The clamp fits it perfectly.

Regardless of who you get one from, you will need some type of spacer becuase you need to screw the resistors into something.

I think romans even has pre-drilled holes for the resistors...

or maybe the holes just help you get to the candy.. :D

FB

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back