The Beatles Sgt.Pepper Cover

Cleanmonk

Hello. New here, but I was wondering if you guys could help me on something.
For sometime now, I've been wanting to make a full scale replica of the album cover "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles with photo cutouts and (possibly) wax figures. I've been currently looking for all the source photos used for the crowd, and I have about 30 found, the rest i am probably going to hand make by painting them or photoshoping them out of the album cover. right now, I am trying to figure out the scale of everything, and a cheap method for making/printing the crowd. the original used hardboard, but i'm not sure about pricing.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cover:
beatle-sgtpep_37.jpg

Given my user name I can't help but chime in here.:rolleyes

I don't really have any useful advice on this, other than to, GO FOR IT! :behave

Is this going to be displayed in your house, somewhat permanently, or did you want to move it around. If it was going to be somewhat permanent, I would suggest that most of the back round pictures just be pasted to a wall, like wall paper, with only a few of the front pictures actually standees.

The CD notes have a list of who all the people are. You can probably do photo searches of each person to find the right photo and high enough quality to blow it up.

Wolf

Thanks for the responces so far!

Not sure what you mean by scale.
Everything in the original pic is life-sized.
Does this pic help?
the_beatles_sgt_pepper_album_cover_hitler.jpg

I've been researching everything about the cover, and I think I have found most of the photos that were shot during the session, which are helping alot for figuring out the display. I think I have this photo already, but not in this resolution. Thanks!

Is this going to be displayed in your house, somewhat permanently, or did you want to move it around. If it was going to be somewhat permanent, I would suggest that most of the back round pictures just be pasted to a wall, like wall paper, with only a few of the front pictures actually standees.

I was thinking for each row of people (and most of the photos are just heads and shoulders), I would have them connected to a piece of wood, and have them connect to a wall. i'm not sure if I'll make the display portable or not, I'm currently just trying to figure out a way to print and the sizing at the moment.

The CD notes have a list of who all the people are. You can probably do photo searches of each person to find the right photo and high enough quality to blow it up.

I've found a website with all the people and things listed, and I have been doing research on the people to find a higher resolution photo of them, and to help me fill the gaps in where other heads block each other. unfortunately I cant seem to find most of the photos that are the cover, so I am probably going to make those from scratch.

Last edited:
I would bet that if you googled each person in that picture with the word height at then end you'd get most of them. Then you'd be close to how big to print them out.

John Lennon was 5'10.5" tall. :)

ok, I just started working on the project today and I tested out working with simple cardboard (its cheap and easy to find and use, and there's a lot of it at my school.) I took a projector and hand drew one of the people on cardboard. It turned out better than I expected, but it seems I am going to need cardboard paper instead of just cardboard since the cardboard is bending.
Heres some photos:
Original photo:
vargalgirl.png

Drawing with the projector:
P3050079.jpg

What I have so far (it still needs to be painted, but then again, this is a test piece)
P3050080.jpg

Last edited:
update: I painted the head I drew cut it out, pretty satisfied with it, im probably going to use it in the final:
Snapshot_20120108.png

and also I figured out the proper way of sizing! pretty excited about that as well...at the moment I am working on people isolation with photoshop to be printed.
tom mix:
tommix-final.png

dylan thompson:
dylanthompson-final.png

marlon brando:
marlonbrando3-final.png

Last edited:
almost done with another head, Oliver Hardy. It needs a touch up, and a another coat of yellow for his hat. kinda unsatisfied with it, but it will work.
Snapshot_20120112_1.png

oilverhardy.png

Last edited:
As a big Beatle Fan i love this thread :thumbsup

There is a reason why they chose to Put Sonny Liston in as opposed to Ali, apparently John Lennon was a big fan

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back