The Batman

Yeah the trailer does look really gritty and good. Pattinson’s Batman also seems insane with Catwoman looking at him in shock as he beats down on the thug. A more analytical but not suave Batman would be a nice departure from the James Bond-esque many tools and playboy Wayne Batman that we are used to.

One issue im having is I cant understand what Batman is saying though. Glad im not a criminal in Gotham. Ill get beaten up due to not understanding the questions.

Something is very weird to me about the Batman cowl. It sweeps too far upward, showing too much face. Just... odd.
I wonder if it's intentional, like it's supposed to be Bruce's early attempts before he got the look to "intimidating" instead of "gothy weirdo kid"

I'm not crazy about the suit but it does look better in action than it does in stills. There's one shot that it looks quite good where he's coated head to toe in mud and debris. If the rumors of this being a detective noir or horror type film, I'm very, very interested in THAT take on the character. It will be a fresh look at him versus the typical origin story and an attempt to push the genre in new and interesting directions, which I am all for.

Paul Dano is also a standout actor so I'm very intigued to see his take on the Riddler. I didn't have much interest in this when it was announced and when I first heard about Pattinson. Then I wasn't keen on the suit. But I've been happily wrong about Batman in a lot of instances so I'm very open to this new take.

I like that the suit isn’t fully armored, because as much as I like the Nolan trilogy I want more of a streamlined comic look, so I appreciate that it seems like the pants are just kind of pants. I think the main part of the cowl is cool, with the separate parts, but not as big a fan of the ears. I’m sure Batman will be easier to understand watching on a forty foot tall screen (or at home for those of you with the nice theater systems).

I do like the idea that the suit and the gear is still in it's inception. Part of the fun of this genre is that the costumes can evolve with the character as they develop them to fit particular needs. This also gives a good opportunity to pay tribute to past iterations of the character whether in film or the comic books and it's one of the rare instances where the meta text works because you can have "in story" reasons for the suits or gear to change.

Plus the idea of Batman being raw and unhinged where he's still coming into his own is a cool premise. From what I can tell this is supposed to be within the first few years of Bruce starting, no? So he won't be as polished or slick as past iterations.

Looks good, but maybe it's because I've seen so many superhero movies by now, particularly Batman ones, that I feel like "Okay, looks good, it's Batman. I'll see it" but I don't feel particularly moved by it. I think Robert will do fine though.

Even from these brief trailers the Penguin strikes me as a brutal gangster. As much as I loved the Dark Knight trilogy the actor who played Falconi always struck me as being totally miscast for that role. He's a fine enough actor but simply not right for that part.

It will be nice to see gangster characters who are a viable threat to the Batman. Remember the better the adversary the more heroic it reflects on the protagonist. Just from those quick parts of the trailer Colin Farrell has been the standout.

Even from these brief trailers the Penguin strikes me as a brutal gangster. As much as I loved the Dark Knight trilogy the actor who played Falconi always struck me as being totally miscast for that role. He's a fine enough actor but simply not right for that part.

Agreed. Falconi in 'Begins' felt more like a movie gangster than a real one.

A real gangster is a thug, but he spends a lot of time presenting himself otherwise. It's conflicting demands.

I would actually say this Batman seems very (overly?) armored since at one point he seems to be taking multiple bullet hits (but not to the lower face!) from near pointblank range. As for his cowl, it almost seems like they took inspiration from Adam West's cowl and made it "cooler" for today's audiences.

Something is very weird to me about the Batman cowl. It sweeps too far upward, showing too much face. Just... odd.
I wonder if it's intentional, like it's supposed to be Bruce's early attempts before he got the look to "intimidating" instead of "gothy weirdo kid"
I thought that was the point of this movie, that it's sort of a "Year One" story with Bruce still sorting out exactly how to be The Batman. Am I wrong?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back