The Batman

Paul Giamatti is a great actor. He's wrong for Batman.

I'm trying to reserve judgment on RP. He doesn't match the ideal checklist for the role. But there is wiggle room on that list depending on exactly what kind of movie it is. Michael Keaton didn't meet the ideal Batman checklist but they made it work in the Burton universe. Keaton would not have been right for the role in a Batfleck-type movie.

Either way, the rumored drama about RP behind the scenes is probably enough to keep his Batman tenure short. Unless this movie makes 'Joker' money they probably won't hire him back for a second one.

Last edited:
Batman is one franchise where I've been consistantly surprise by when it comes to casting. I remember Keaton being an odd pick and I had my hesitation about Heath Ledger. As much as I loathe Batman V Superman, Affleck was much better than I expected too. So I'm willing to give Pattinson a chance. In fact I rolled my eyes when I heard they were doing yet another version of the character, but honestly that teaser impressed me, which says a lot for someone who is pretty jaded about movies. It could still be a total mess, but the footage I've seen shows a lot of promise. Plus Jeffrey Wright as Gordon is SUPERB choice! I was stoked when I heard he was cast and if the script is good I think he'll be an iconic Gordon. And Paul Dano is just amazing too. His voice over as Riddler sounds creepy as all get out.

I'll reserve judgment for the time being but so far I'm very curious to see this.

I do think studios get it mixed up with the draw of big name stars though.

Studios hire big name stars because they think audiences will say “oh wow, so-and-so is in this movie, I have to go watch.” I think this tactic worked in earlier eras (Arnold Swaznegger, Stallone, etc) where big name actors were the main draw but that has honestly faded imo.

thats not to say that many of these big names arnt talented (hence why they became big names in the first place). I dont remember people being hyped about Ledger being Joker since his notable roles were mostly romantic comedies at the time but he knocked it out of the park due to his own talent. People praise Ledger not because its Ledger but because he gave a genuinely amazing performance.

Studios may still be conflating the two (like Disney now trying to hire every big name to star in their marvel films when they were kicked off by previously no-names except RDJ) but that doesnt mean its true. I dont think audiences are going to go see Batman just because Ferrell is in as penguin but the dude is talented so He could knock it out of the park with a unique spin.

Studios hire big name stars because they think audiences will say “oh wow, so-and-so is in this movie, I have to go watch.” I think this tactic worked in earlier eras (Arnold Swaznegger, Stallone, etc) where big name actors were the main draw but that has honestly faded imo.

Yeah this was a big phenomenon back in the day. You weren't going to see the movie so much as you were going to see the star in it. It didn't really matter the movie. That doesn't play the same way anymore. I've posted this before but it bears repeating because it's so dead on to what you're talking about.

Not crazy about the trailer, to be honest.
I was hoping for RP from "Lost City of Z" - he hardly spoke a word, but oozed calm confidence. He was a guy you took one look at and knew not to mess with. If a jaguar attacked him in the jungle, he was strolling into the village wearing a brand new jaguar cape.
He looks like an angsty teenager here.
I kind of hate it. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they're going for here, but I'm getting Spiderman 3 vibes, and it's bringing me down, man.

Last edited:
It's certainly an interesting watch and hard in places but the lighting and direction is striking to say the least.
It's an incredibly visually strong movie. I especially love the use of high contrast and the 4:3 ratio to imitate a 1930s low budget movie. But I'd also argue that the acting and the foiling between Dafoe and Paterson is phenomenal. First time I watched it, the impression I was left with was, "Wow, that guy can act!"

It's certainly an interesting watch and hard in places but the lighting and direction is striking to say the least.
I do like Willem Dafoe, so whenever I finally have an opportunity to watch it I'm sure it'll be worth it for that alone. I'm hoping Robert Pattinson surprises me, both in The Lighthouse and The Batman.

By "a lot of people" I was actually referring to The Suits at Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment. I've only seen him in that first Twilight movie and I vaguely remember him not having much of an impact on me.
He read about the role, was told to act just as awkward as it was written and did exactly that. If you watch him in interviews and on talk shows, he is nothing like the character from Twilight. He's briefly in the movie titled The King, that was a great performace too

thats not to say that many of these big names arnt talented (hence why they became big names in the first place). I dont remember people being hyped about Ledger being Joker since his notable roles were mostly romantic comedies at the time but he knocked it out of the park due to his own talent. People praise Ledger not because its Ledger but because he gave a genuinely amazing performance.

Studios may still be conflating the two (like Disney now trying to hire every big name to star in their marvel films when they were kicked off by previously no-names except RDJ) but that doesnt mean its true. I dont think audiences are going to go see Batman just because Ferrell is in as penguin but the dude is talented so He could knock it out of the park with a unique spin.
Oh it's not a new thing.. Valentino was a Massive draw in the Silent era. That was a reason Old guard Hollywood had their stars under tight contracts with them. I believe that was the case until the 60s when Huge flops started to happen with a slew of stars attached.. Cleopatra, Dr Doolittle( apt title)
But it's like everything they All have a time to shine. Buddy/Cop movies, Romantic Movies, Slasher, Space, Horror and Courtroom drama to name a few go round and around. You get to a certain age and notice the pattern even if your not a movie person.. Actors sell tickets, big Actors or Stars sell more and add a Spielberg or Nolan in or a Quentin and you have an Event/Summer blockbuster..

I do like Willem Dafoe, so whenever I finally have an opportunity to watch it I'm sure it'll be worth it for that alone. I'm hoping Robert Pattinson surprises me, both in The Lighthouse and The Batman.
For different reasons I think he just might.. I could say more but won't ruin it for you.

Batman is one franchise where I've been consistantly surprise by when it comes to casting. I remember Keaton being an odd pick and I had my hesitation about Heath Ledger. As much as I loathe Batman V Superman, Affleck was much better than I expected too. So I'm willing to give Pattinson a chance. In fact I rolled my eyes when I heard they were doing yet another version of the character, but honestly that teaser impressed me, which says a lot for someone who is pretty jaded about movies. It could still be a total mess, but the footage I've seen shows a lot of promise. Plus Jeffrey Wright as Gordon is SUPERB choice! I was stoked when I heard he was cast and if the script is good I think he'll be an iconic Gordon. And Paul Dano is just amazing too. His voice over as Riddler sounds creepy as all get out.

I'll reserve judgment for the time being but so far I'm very curious to see this.
Westworld wouldn't be half as good without Jeffery Wright, I really enjoyed his Barnard.

Agreed. He seems like a great choice for Gordon too.
He certainly comes across as a grizzled Gordon in the trailer especially when he hands the Bat the note.. I think the Skinny Goth black eyed make up looks great on R pat.. He holds Tennet together as a Movie too..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back