The Batman (On a budget)

batfan10

Sr Member
Ended up getting one of these cheap ebay cowls. Originaly I wasnt planning on it, but a few people on youtube mentioned that these come from a 3D printed cowl so it got me interested.
(ebay photo: You can see some print lines by the eyebrow)
s-l1600.jpg

What I plan to do
- Glue the cut in the back (Gorilla glue?) and open up the front to adjust the sizing to fit and to allow it to open more like the film verson
s-l1600.jpg

- Plastidip the cowl. This should help with the print lines and cover the unpainted edges/inside of the cowl that can be seen
- 3D print a shell of sorts for the front of the cowl to give it more structure. I may also 3d print ear fillers or just use foam.

Does anyone have any idea what 3D print file these cowls came from? That would allow a better fitting with the 3d printed shell

Last edited:
I've got one of those in my collection, too...can't wait to see what you do with it! :D

Rob
How do you like it? Mine got shipped today and it wont be here for a while.

Edit: Going thru TikTok and found a guy who modded (not sure how) his cheap cowl. Not too bad, though it looks like I'll have to foam the neck area to help it stay ridgid it

Last edited:
How do you like it? Mine got shipped today and it wont be here for a while.

Edit: Going thru TikTok and found a guy who modded (not sure how) his cheap cowl. Not too bad, though it looks like I'll have to foam the neck area to help it stay ridgid it
It's really thin, but the latex is tough stuff. It could definitely use some mods, like sealing the rear split, trimming the eyeholes and opening up the throat for ease of wearing.

My only issue is the size...I have a 24" head, and although it fits really tight and firm, it's also too small for me, in that the eyeholes ride up pretty high, and my nose (not small, by any standard) sticks out of the bottom of the cowl ala Adam West.

I trimmed out the eyeholes some and that helped, but overall the Rubies version fits me better, because it's a size 24.5" to 25".

This eBay version would be great for someone on a tight budget, has a 23" head, and is willing to make some mods.

Rob

It's really thin, but the latex is tough stuff. It could definitely use some mods, like sealing the rear split, trimming the eyeholes and opening up the throat for ease of wearing.

My only issue is the size...I have a 24" head, and although it fits really tight and firm, it's also too small for me, in that the eyeholes ride up pretty high, and my nose (not small, by any standard) sticks out of the bottom of the cowl ala Adam West.

I trimmed out the eyeholes some and that helped, but overall the Rubies version fits me better, because it's a size 24.5" to 25".

This eBay version would be great for someone on a tight budget, has a 23" head, and is willing to make some mods.

Rob
I have the rubies too and its too big, though I can mod that. But my head is 22'' so I'm really looking foward to this mask even more! Should be here by Saturday!

Modded my Rubies cowl. I did the same method that I'll do with the Ebay cowl (plus added foam inside. Still not 100% fit tho). I did also plasti-dip it after removing some of the casting defects. I also cut the nose out, the mask did not lose any structure doing so.
Before
3308.jpg

After
3307.jpg

For the ebay cowl, tracking hasnt updated since it was "PICK UP BY SHIP PTNR USPS AWAITS ITEM" Will give it time tho.

Noticed that side of the cowl gets tucked into the bottom neck piece. I decided to cut the bottom neck piece off and back it with foam and extend the soft velcro side down the rest of the cown.
3329.jpg
3330.jpg

I extended the neck piece with foam and attached the spikey velcro
3331.jpg
3332.jpg

Now the neck can come in tigher and present a cleaner look. All I have to do it plasti-dip the daimond neck piece for a cleaner look
3335.jpg

Did the neck guard today. I was originally going to make this put of foam, until I realized I suck at working with foam lol I decided to stick with the Rubies piece.

1) glue both sized together using the supplied Velcro straps (to help keep it together while the glue dries).
2) Fold in the top curve and glue it to the inside, this gives the piece a tighter more leather look

3336.jpg
3337.jpg

3) Attach the spiky Velcro to both the back and front of the very front tips of the neck guard. This will allow the neck guard to stick to the throat cover and each other (can help with sizing).
3338.jpg
3340.jpg

Finally attach the front neck armor to the neck guard and the throat cover (might require some pressing down to adhere to both pieces.
3342.jpg
3343.jpg
3344.jpg

I think this completes my Rubies mod! The only other thing I can think of is taking real thread and stitching it into the mask.

Last edited:
Filled the ears in with foam, working on adding structure (2mm foam) to the chin/throat cover (also extending it). Sadly it doenst look like it will be compatible with the rubies.

Attachments

• 3396.jpg
    3396.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 3400.jpg
    3400.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 3399.jpg
    3399.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 194
  • 3398.jpg
    3398.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 178
Glued up the back and backed it with 2mm foam. Used foam to stiffen the brow area and realized that adhesive Velcro is rigid and flexible enough to thicken the cowl up. I used the soft side for places that will touch skin and the spiky side for the top. Air bubbles can form from the Velcro but they can be smoothed out, or the Velcro can be removed rather easily and replaced to reduce air bubbled.

I also redid the chin strap using Velcro (spiky on the sides over the existing foam and soft on the bottom. Works really well! I forgot to take photos of inside the mask and the enhanced chin strap, but I’ll post them when the plasti-dip is dry.

Attachments

• 3422.jpg
    3422.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 3424.jpg
    3424.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 3425.jpg
    3425.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 3426.jpg
    3426.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 3427.jpg
    3427.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 169
plastidip is done, except painting the back foam (still shows with flash photography) I'd say this is done for now.

Attachments

• 20220526_132937.jpg
    20220526_132937.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • 1653585407050.jpg
    1653585407050.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 236
  • 1653585417694.jpg
    1653585417694.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • 1653585439049.jpg
    1653585439049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
Yeah, but after you weather it and maybe add some white paint to the threads, it will really snap! :)

Check out what this guy on Facebook did with his Rubie's cowl...

Rob
Oh dang that does look awesome! I was toying with the idea of using real thread but that might be too much
Lighting, Ebay vs. Rubies
3449.jpg

Last edited:
Had a piece of pleather from a Bat-Fleck project I never did, so I gave the cowl another (slighltly more generouse) coat of Plastidip and used the pleather as a textutre. Print lines are still visible, but not as bad in person. Overall, I'm pleased with how this is turning out. Much better than when I first got the cowl.

It is more subtle in person, but at the right light it can get close to these photos

Small update. Added some structure to the top eyelids with 2mm foam. I traced the eyes and cut out a brow support. Glued the back of the foam to the brow and glued the top of the eye hole to the bottom edge of the foam. This fixed the drooping eye problem (last to photos).

I also added the Rubies collar as I think it works well.

Attachments

• 3450.jpg
    3450.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 3451.jpg
    3451.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 3452.jpg
    3452.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 3453.jpg
    3453.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 3454.jpg
    3454.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 3455.jpg
    3455.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Question: do you prep the latex before spraying Plastidip or just spray it straight on?

Also, have any of you ever tried Flex seal for a cowl?

Thanks.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back