"The Backwater Gospel" Antagonist, "The Undertaker", Question and Build Thread

Yeahson421

Hello everyone, My name is Evan and I am new to the RPF. I am fairly well versed in making, but I have never taken part in a lot of the intricacies of costume making. I'd like to try to make my first costume this year, hopefully before Halloween. I'd like to inspire some of my other maker friends to get involved in costume making so we can have a local scene, and I think a great opportunity to show the possibilities would be on a night where I could easily show it next to other, more run of the mill costumes. Anyways, on to the character.

If you have not seen the short film "The Backwater Gospel", I would recommend checking it out!
The antagonist is known as "The Undertaker" because of his association with death. No, this is not referencing a professional wrestler, but a slang term used for funeral director. This reimagining of the grim reaper has some features that may prove hard for me to make into a costume, so that is why I have come here. Here are two pictures, the first showing his normal form and basic image, the second showing his wings.
3_5100309777_c1f22c4ce1_z.jpg
0be119dad2cf.jpg

So now, for the build. I would like to do the head as a mask, not a makeup with prosthetic. Now, I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. I would imagine making it out of silicone would be ideal, and using foam as a kind of support in the nose and chin, but sculpting to make the mold for the silicone is where I am lost. Would I want to do a plaster lifecast of my head, then pour that, then sculpt onto the lifecast before making a plaster mold that I would then poor silicone into? I honestly have no clue and am up for any suggestions.
The hands are something I believe I could figure out, but if anyone has any good tips, examples, or build threads, I would appreciate the help!
Finally, the wings. These really have me stumped, and it may be something I will have to pass on. Ideally, they would be able to fold up behind my back and be deployed with an arm movement or something of the like. I am entirely lost here and would really like some more experienced opinions.
Thank all of you in advance for sharing your knowledge, it's really great to have found this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back