The Adam Project - Netflix

It was fun, but half way through, my wife turns and said, “while I love Ryan Reynolds, he really does play the same character in every movie”. I realized she is right. He is basically the same character in every role. He is “Ryan Reynolds”, and not really transforming into anything we haven’t seen from him before. I did have to tell her, he did stretch his acting in the remake of The Amityville Horror film, but not much else that I can remember.

I liked elements of it. The wormhole time travel ships were a highlight, the weapons and effects were decent. Was exciting at times but the plot was meh for the most part. Too much cliche and predictability. The emotional scenes were overplayed. I agree about Reynolds. If they had some one else as the lead, threw in a good deal more unpredictability and left the ending slightly ambiguous it would've been better. One thing that really bothered me was...

it took significant time for adult Adam and 12 year old Adam to reconcile/disappear while playing cliche catch with the dad at the end. Older Sorian disappeared almost immediately when her younger self died. I get that her older self wouldn't exist but it still seemed too convenient for the plot.

I think the movie was solely made for Ryan Reynolds so he could do a lightsaber fight :)
Absolutely. It was produced by Shawn Levy and Ryan, plus produced by Ryan’s Maximum Effort Production company, and Shawn’s 21 Laps Production company. So they customs fit this to Ryan 100%, down to fitting in a lightsaber fight. :lol:

It was fun, but half way through, my wife turns and said, “while I love Ryan Reynolds, he really does play the same character in every movie”. I realized she is right. He is basically the same character in every role. He is “Ryan Reynolds”, and not really transforming into anything we haven’t seen from him before. I did have to tell her, he did stretch his acting in the remake of The Amityville Horror film, but not much else that I can remember.
Harrison Ford does the same thing, but we still love them both.

Yes. I liked the movie and would probably watch it again at some point. It's like pizza. It might not have been the best pizza, but it tasted pretty good and I'd eat it again. :lol: I think Ryan Reynolds is in the danger zone of becoming John Wayne or Tom Cruise where you're watching the movie and can only think "Oh there's Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise again...".

However, he was one of those celebrities where I'd see some story and go "Are you serious? This #*$* is dating *insert beautiful actress of the week*?!?! C'mon!", but then he turns out to be such a nice guy. Not to mention I give a lot of credit to actors who are really passionate about a character and go after it and then make sure it's done correctly (like him and Deadpool or Henry Cavill with The Witcher).

This is why I can't watch this film. I just find the guy irritating and it always feels like he's just playing the character.

Ryan Reynolfs finds a kid to play Ryan Reynolds.

I enjoyed it.

It got a little Good Will Hunting towards the end, but fun.

RR plays RR ...AGAIN

EDIT:I can only imagine RR endlessly badgering Ruffalo to make Endgame time travel or Hulk comments

Last edited:
Ryan Reynolfs finds a kid to play Ryan Reynolds.

I enjoyed it.

It got a little Good Will Hunting towards the end, but fun.

RR plays RR ...AGAIN

EDIT:I can only imagine RR endlessly badgering Ruffalo to make Endgame time travel or Hulk comments
Like when the kid hits the ground and says: “superhero landing”. I rolled my eyes, lol.

I watched it this past weekend.

Like so many of the films created today, I watched it, and then, weeks later, I guarantee it never crosses my mind again, in any meaningful way.

Not good.
Not bad.
Perfectly forgettable.

Last edited:
Yeah I was impressed how well he spoke like him and did some other things, which I can't recall right now, that RR did. The kid is a fan of RR because there's a video of RR sitting (maybe the truck in the movie) and the kid is in the back seat reciting a Deadpool scene word for word.

I enjoyed it, though it's one of those "don't overthink it" movies. Maybe a little too "Ryan Reynolds-y" but there were some good, down to earth moments that helped.
One minor question I had was why do the soldiers "pixilate" when killed? Maybe I missed something, or maybe they just didn't bother to mention it. At first, I thought it was the type of weapon they used that caused them to dissolve away, but it also happened when they were "killed" other ways. I thought maybe they're some sort of tangible hologram, but Reynolds (Adam) talks about their armor like they're just humans inside.

Oh, and de-aged Katherine Keener was pretty distracting when first introduced, the FX looked pretty unrealistic. Didn't seem quite as bad later, though, but maybe I was more used to it, or the editing distracted enough from it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back