the absolute BEST Star Trek tunics ?

nwjedidave

Sr Member
first off:

YES i am aware of the Starfleet 1701st over on the ASAP forums....
YES i have contacted adam (past guru of the trek tunics)

i'm looking for some more suggestions on getting some made? if the text below seems familiar its because i've sent some of this out to other folks looking for suggestions... it gets my point across, and also under scores the VERY personal meaning these will have for me....

for now i'm looking at a gold/green command and a blue
tunic...

i'm looking to put together a star trek display in our
spare bedroom...

i came across a picture of my dad and i at the wax
museum somewhere down in california, and i have on my
blue "spock" tunic standing right next to my dad... he
got me hooked on trek...

our family made it a part of having dinner... my dad
had an uncanny ability to remember almost every single
detail in each episode, so when one would come on that
i wasn't sure which episode it was, all i would need
to do was ask "Which one is this?" and he could start
to ramble off details about the episode until i could
tell him "OH YEA. I remember that one."

my dad passed away several years ago, and after coming
across this photo, i've been lucky enough to come in
contact with an ILM model maker who is putting the
finishing touches on an enterprise A refit for me...

some progress pics here --
ent_a_progress.jpg

the photo, along with the built kit and the tunics
will make a very nice display and i'm hoping that the
tunics will fit me as good as they look..

NWJEDI
dave

I'd love to see the pic of you and your dad at the Wax Museum.

I used to be the Curator of the Hollywood Wax Museum, so I'm always interested in seeing people's Wax Pics.

Also, as far as the tunic is concerned, I'll be watching this thread as well. I have heads of Spock and Picard that I made. I have a pretty nice Next Gen tunic for Picard, but I'm in need of a good tunic for Spock.

waxtrek.jpg

May the wind be at your back, and thanks for sharing the story about your dad.

Steve

that picture is out having some work done on it, but SOMEWHERE around here i have a pic. of me and my sister in our blue science tunics sitting on either side of the wax mr. spock

i was looking for that pic earlier but couldn't find it, but i still have 3 more boxes of pictures to go through ..

NWJEDI
dave

Originally posted by REL@Mar 24 2006, 03:17 AM
I've never seen the PL refit built up as well as he does it. Outstanding work.
[snapback]1212119[/snapback]​

love the new "pylons" link on your page REL .

your ship is going to blow A LOT of people away ..

NWJEDI
dave

Hm, sounds like a job for SCREEN GRABS. :D

In the First Season, the material was a heavy velour, with a slight "sparkly" or shiny quality to it.

mw-spockleer2.jpg

CorbMan-shinyvelour106.jpg

MW-uhuracommandskirtscipatc.jpg

The command color is a subtle yellow-green-tan color. The outdoor shot on the right from "Shore Leave" shows it off pretty well

kirkcollars.jpg

The first season velour had a tendency to SHRINK however... note how far up his arms Kirk's sleeves are in this shot.

1st_season_velour_shrink.jpg

As in later seasons, a zipper from the collar to the shoulder assisted in getting the shirt on and off without disturbing the actor's makeup. Note also the black T-shirt, usually worn under the tunic (note to fan films: I don't want to see naked flab when those tunics ride up in fight scenes. )

MIRI-unzipped-collars.jpg

miri-kirk1.jpg

And of course the women's skirts were... disturbingly short. :D

dm-helen.jpg

In the second season, Shatner favored this green wraparound thing. As you can see, it is markedly green, as opposed to the usual "command" color which is markedly not-green.

TT-kirkwrap-colors3.jpg

TT-kirkwrap-colors.jpg

By the third season (actually partway thru the second) the costumes switched from velour to a sort of acrylic blend. It's supposedly not a knit. I don't know for sure what to call it.

EOT-kirkuniform.jpg

EOT-kirkbraiduniformmateria.jpg

- k

phase pistol ......

those are some GREAT screen grabs, and also a great quick lesson in Trek Tunics .

thx.

NWJEDI
dave
p.s. still looking for suggestions

i have a good idea on fabric (not sure which season) and braids, but have not a clue on a professional competant seamstress

I understand the original command tunics were actually green. They turned yellow after they were drycleaned. The rank braid was custom made. The original company that made the fabric is no longer around. I also heard the creator of a Star Trek fan site owns the remaining original fabric used in the TOS given to him by the original costume designer, with whom he was friends with.

I didn't know, until recently, that the shirts had zippers on the sides. I only thought they were pull-overs.

This fan site is so accurate on their costumes that the production of ENTERPRISE borrowed the command wrap-around tunic for the episodes "Through a Mirror, Darkly, parts one and two). Probably info that everyone knows by now.

Over at Rodd.com, they've got tunic patterns that are supposedly taken directly from Bill Theiss' original designs for about $10.

Is it just me or is there a "Curse of the Trek Tunic"? I know there were a couple of members who did really nice, authentic tunics that fit great, were spot-on with the colors, had accfurate briads, etc. They have long since been banned for crappy business practices.

Steve

sounds like there would be enough interest to put the talents of this group to the test to make another run... but i guess thats the same idea behind the Starfleet 1701st

*shrug*

NWJEDI
dave

So... I must know... where... ... ... do I get... ... oneoftheseTunics? Must... getbacktotheship. Scotty? Beam me up... Scotty, I... am ready.

Man, you gotta love those unusually long... ... pauses... when... Shatner Speaks.

Felicatations.

felicitations.jpg

John

I AM SO INTRESTED IN THIS IDEA... :D I agree that the 1701st sounds all over this but there are rules and dues and all sorts of other issues involved in their project. I would think the with all the resources and knowledge of the RPF at our disposal we could certanly come up with something.

I grew up with a Donmoor Star Trek shirt (something I think any Star Trek kid of the early '70s remembers fondly) and have always wanted an awsome replica shirt for my collection. But I also want to throw out another idea at the same time. If we were to find an artist to turn out an accurate replica uniform shirt sutable for display and the occasional con or get togeather could they not also replicate the 1975 Donmoor shirt for fun? It would be something fun to wear that would look good without worring about damaging the actual replica. Just a thought.

John

i'd be in for both..

NWJEDI
dave

Originally posted by AshGL1914@Mar 24 2006, 07:30 PM
I AM SO INTRESTED IN THIS IDEA... :D  I agree that the 1701st sounds all over this but there are rules and dues and all sorts of other issues involved in their project.  I would think the with all the resources and knowledge of the RPF at our disposal we could certanly come up with something.

I grew up with a Donmoor Star Trek shirt (something I think any Star Trek kid of the early '70s remembers fondly) and have always wanted an awsome replica shirt for my collection.  But I also want to throw out another idea at the same time.  If we were to find an artist to turn out an accurate replica uniform shirt sutable for display and the occasional con or get togeather could they not also replicate the 1975 Donmoor shirt for fun?  It would be something fun to wear that would look good without worring about damaging the actual replica.  Just a thought.

John
[snapback]1212534[/snapback]​

Well if some talented seamster (or -stress) wants to step up to the plate on these, SURE I would be interested in a tunic or two. :D

Accuracy is CRITICAL however. I don't want to see pajama tops, people.

It's true, Rodd.com has sewing patterns.. plus you can get insignia patches and sleeve braid.

http://store.roddenberry.com/store.cfm?categoryID=11415

http://store.roddenberry.com/store.cfm?categoryID=11423

Their patches are not super accurate tho.

Rodd.com patch
1501.jpg

Actual screenused patch (screenused material, too)
screenused_delta.jpg

- k

I have one of the Rodd.com-style insignia patches that I got direct from Katarra. It's not bad, but they need to be trimmed a little closer to the embroidery for my taste.

The Rodd/Katarra braid also looks like it's made well, it's just different from most other people's. It reminds me of the early first season braid that was a lot thicker and fatter. I'd like to see it actually sewn on a shirt, 'cause I'm sure it would look better.

Overall, the TOS tunic is a pretty easy pattern to work with, it's just getting a good material to make the shirt out of that's tough.

Originally posted by BB43MAN@Mar 24 2006, 12:38 PM
I understand the original command tunics were actually green.  They turned yellow after they were drycleaned.  The rank braid was custom made.
[snapback]1212448[/snapback]​

I would have to respectfully ask you the source of that information. I hadn't heard the "actually green but changed color" story before.

I would imagine if that were true, the shirts would be all different shades. In addition, in "Corbomite Maneuver" (the first episode filmed with this style of shirts) the material looks the same color as in later episodes.

corbomite-spockbaileycostum.jpg

Also I had heard that the rank braid was actually from studio stock and had been used in an earlier film, "Cleopatra" or "Ben Hur" or something, I forget.

What to call this command color is a really controversial subject however. I've seen an example of first-season velour in person, and it DOES photograph differently than it looks. I called it "the yellowest green imaginable" when I saw it in person. But I balk at actually calling it "green" because it's so far over at the end of that range.

And it seems to photograph "warmer", leading to a tan or pumpkin hue.

- K

Originally posted by nwjedidave@Mar 24 2006, 11:43 AM
i'd be in for both..

Cool. :p I have a theory that most of the people out there who REALLLLY want a perfect uniform replica have a: at some point worn or at least held a really crappy version of the tunic (can anybody say Rubies), b:are (as a guess) around 32 to 36, c: remember or owned a Donmoor Star Trek shirt. Thoughts?

No one is making these right now.

Maybe the 1701 will come through.

Supposedly they are trying to get Roddenberry.com to carry the fabric and have already enlisted a tailor who is a fan.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back