The $50 AT AT 'miniatures' ... worth repainting?

Here's the beginning of getting rid of the moulded-in flashing on the ankles...

The inside strut is loose at the top, so you can put a new connection to the leg there pretty easy to make it more accurate.

The plastic melts like butter, so do it on slow. I used the roto-cutting drill bit and it worked pretty good. Now to file it and fill some of my over-zealous cutting. ;)

Dunno why they moulded them in there in the first place. It's rock-stable without them.

I was thinking it would be easier just to replace the pistons altogether with brass pipe, rather than try and cut out the flash.

Yeah, I'm debating re-doing the pistons altogether as well, but I want to do a test fit and see what it looks like.

Comparing it to the MR feet, I'll have to fill in some of the detail holes and make new ones. Also the "toes" will need to be extended and some slots cut around them to look functional. I also have thought of cutting some of the legs to reposition them, but have to figure out the best way to do that and not screw them up. Maybe rigging a heated piano wire to slice through the plastic at the joints, but I may just carefully slice through them and refill. We'll see what I can come up with and I'll share with you guys.

Time to break out the modelling putty.

IMHO, for the price it's a pretty good buy and can be reworked and detail added with some plastic sheet. Just wish I had some up-close detail pics of the real model. I'd much rather have some fun and redo a $50 piece because it's more fun for me than just buying an MR. And if I screw up, I'm just out $50. ;)

Got mine. I love it. It's really cool for a static display and the detail is very nice :)

[attachmentid=5093]

[attachmentid=5094]

Originally posted by TFrosst@Nov 19 2005, 11:31 AM
KevVader where did you get yours in TO?
[snapback]1119138[/snapback]​

...can't remember the name of the place...doesn't say on the receipt or price tag. It was close to King and Spadina downtown....

I like it overall....the only thing is that I find that the head is a little oversized for the body....other than that you can't beat it for $50...

If you're on the fence, get one now. Typically the SW Minis don't last long and prices explode when they're sold out.

I'm in the process of doing a repaint and working detail parts at the moment. Considering sacrificing one for a fallen AT-AT model. We'll see.

Progress is slow, but ongoing. Cut the lower leg off with a dremel, scored the toes so they'll be repositioned, dremeled out the piston flashing, playing with paint schemes (she's a lot dirtier).

Compare against the original unpainted... I'd love to see what Steve the Swede could do with this baby. ;)

cimg19493gp.jpg

cimg19503cc.jpg

Using white modelling putty as filler... Sand and dremel. ;)

Snowspeeder is from the AMT kit.

Hey rigormortis I think I'm going to modify mine too. See how I go gotta change a few things to make it more accurate, like adding the detail under the front window, cutting out the rear legs engine & the top joints for the legs. I also wanna reposition the head 'looking' lower & turned more.

Nice work rigormortis. I was disappointed when I saw one of these up close, but for the price it's not like you can expect something that would match the MR piece.

I have yet to see these anywhere ... what stores carry these? I've checked Borders, TRUS, Kaybee, Target, Walmart .... nothing

Originally posted by Havoc@Jan 10 2006, 08:29 AM
I have yet to see these anywhere ... what stores carry these? I've checked Borders, TRUS, Kaybee, Target, Walmart .... nothing
[snapback]1155180[/snapback]​

....check Hobby Shops or Comic Shops that sell the SW game cards....that's where I had found mine....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back