The $50 AT AT 'miniatures' ... worth repainting?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hunky_artist, Nov 12, 2005.

1. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

Just been looking at some pics of this AT AT from the 'miniatures' line over on rebelscum.com..... 14" high.. and for the price it doesn't look bad at all...

Now for someone who could never ever EVER afford the MR version... but who loves repainting / customising things... I wonder if this would be worth buying and detailing to turn into a (much.) cheaper version... as it's miles better than the old Hasbro version too.

I'm thinking with a bit of decent repainting, this could make quite a decent display piece for the shelf, what do you lot think? Anyone actually seen one?

2. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Yes, I have seen one. It's a great looking piece, but a little disappointing. Disappointing because there is absolutely NOTHING on it that moves. It's either best left in the box or, as you are wanting to do, take it out and repaint it. Not much else could be done with it, but then I guess the MR is that was as well. If you do decide to repaint, please post some pics.

Steveo

3. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I've seen on in person as well. They do not compare to the MR as far looks or accuracy to the model, but for $50 this is a very nice piece.

Thanks for bringing this up... now I have to go get one :)

4. BoBoDohn

BoBoDohn Well-Known Member

Mine has been shipped. Should get it early in the week. I'll be sure to post pics.

I was chomping at the bit for this to come out ever since seeing it at C3. I think it's an incredible display piece.

5. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

anyone have a pic? I would love to see this.

-Matt

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's the material? Rotocast vinyl? Styrene? Fruit rollups?

9. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Probably playdough. Of course, it was designed to be a toy. :)

10. phase pistol

The only thing I'm not liking is the solid parts where the piston connects the feet...

[​IMG]

- k

11. jordankarr

jordankarr Well-Known Member

Its probably extruded plastic hence the way the pistons the feet are contected. but a dremel and some tubeing could fix that right away. And considering its ment to be in scale with the 1.5" tall plastic figures for the game its associated with its not too bad of an item.

12. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I just got one om e-bay with a BIN of $36.00. shipping was a rip at $12.00, but all in all less than $50.00 delivered. I think it's cool.

13. hunky_artist

be sure to let us see it when you get it :)

14. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I just ordered one. There's an auction on E-bay right now(if you type in "at-at" you'll find it) where the miniature is 34.99 and the shipping is $2.50(in the US). If you use the E-bay holiday code:" C1-Holiday2005 " you get an extra $3.50 off. :D

The total price comes to $33.99 shipped and there are 6 available still with 3 days remaining on the auction... if anyones interested. :)

15. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't wait to see tutorials on modding this one. $50 is an awesome price for that, especially for those you don't have the $1000 to spend.

16. jordankarr

jordankarr Well-Known Member

Very good deal for shipping of the walker. Good find.

17. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How can one leg be angeled AND standing flat on the floor while the other 3 are straight ???
    Don't like the bent "rubber-sidguns". Don't like the pistons at the feet. Don't like the cut in the legs (which was only at one of the falling models). Don't like that it is not much bigger than AMTs kit. Don't like many of the details.
    Like the price and like that you can remove the base.
    Not enough to buy...

18. StudioCreations

StudioCreations Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Notice that the hip joint on the bent leg is rotated lower than the other 3 hip joints. That's how it can have all 4 feet planted firmly on the ground.

19. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah youre right, i see it now :) But quite unusal pose anyways ;)

20. Krachenvogel

Krachenvogel Well-Known Member

I'd say that if you want a nice model, you're better off with the MPC/Ertl/AMT kit, unless you just HAVE to have it that little bit larger. There seem to be a lot of simplifications made on the WOTC piece, and if the material is similar to what their AT-ST's and other "huge" minis are made of, it'll be a bear to work with. And, for the same price, you can get three kits, and make a nice diorama.

21. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Not bad...

22. LiquidPhoenix

LiquidPhoenix Well-Known Member

hunky_artist,

With your skill and talent I have a feeling it will be amazing to see what you come up with.

-LP

23. phase pistol

Eh, the Ertl kit is only 8" tall... that's 6" shorter than this one, and that's a lot of volume scale-wise. The new one is MUCH larger. :unsure

Here's a page on the AMT/Ertl kit

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/atat.html

Which I think is currently in distribution, so at least it'll be easy to find if you want one.

[​IMG]

- k

24. AT-AT Luvah

AT-AT Luvah Sr Member

Okay, not to bash on the ERTL model, but the picture above is a perfect example of something that has bugged me for a long time.

On certain AT-AT dioramas or models, I hate when one of the model's knee joints is bent 'backwards' - it doesn't make any sense - and yet I see it on a lot of models that are otherwise jaw-dropping. It ruins it for me.

I've even seen some of the ILM walkers posed this way.

The madness needs to stop.

Sincerely,

your friendly neighborhood AT-AT Luvah

25. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Eh, what'd da you care...?

Oh, wait a minute -- just read your screen name. ;)

26. jedeyenight

jedeyenight Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's all-terrain Man.. It moves where it needs, to stay up right. :)

27. phase pistol

The Luvah has spoken. :D

- k

28. hunky_artist

Phoenix. How you doing? Thanks for that...lol. I'm in the middle of resculpting/accurising the Hasbro 14" electronic vader (inbetween working on the art business) so once that's done... maybe I'll get this and do something with it. Thanks for the comment though. :)

...or I might just buy me another lightsaber (got my first a few weeks ago... Obi ANH weathered... absolutely fabulous, lol)

29. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

Just bought three of them today and lots of model paint. Better than the Hasbro, more sturdy (yet inaccurate) than the Ertl, but I think with a little TLC and a dremel, may be worth the price.

Here's a ref pic where I believe they got their detail(s) wrong...
    http://xpi.org.uk/~swma/archives/ref_mat/bprint/15/at_at.jpg

Looking at the real one vs this one, quite a few details are missing or wrong (especially under the front driver's window - notoriously bare, IMHO).

But for $150, I have 3 that match the scale of my minis pretty good.

30. LiquidPhoenix

Oh good lord....what about Trek lol I'm soo going to tell haha. I've been good I myself got another MR saber, needed an Ani FX to battle with my Vaders. When you start this after all your other items I want some pictures bud. LOL Careful though, to many projects means trouble, I have 7 going right now and no movement on 6 of them ha.

-LP

31. BoBoDohn

Got mine today. Here are the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall, I am very happy with this. An excellent display piece for the price..

32. LiquidPhoenix

what stores will carry this anyway?

33. phase pistol

Well that looks not bad. :thumbsup

34. AT-AT Luvah

AT-AT Luvah Sr Member

It's a nice piece.

I want to get one for my son's room, but two ittty bitty things are buggin' me about it:

How hard would it have been to get the feet right? They're too small. It looks funky.

The solid plastic between the 'ankle struts' and the legs is a major issue for me.

Otherwise, it's a very nice little model.

Even the paint job is not bad for what it is.

If I can get it for under $30 shipped, I'm all over it.

35. hunky_artist

hehe, that made me laugh. I'm sure the folks over at the AA forum wont mind (in fact they dont.. they've all seen the lightsaber, lol.

Really do want an FX though... but this ATAT looks like a great thing to work on... and for thhe size and price? seems great.

Might try and get me one for xmas :) (dont have as much time as I used to for customising projects what with the art business and everything. In the middle of accurising a 14" electronic vader though... but that's about it for now. until i get this ATAT...lol)

36. DCB

DCB New Member

I went and checked one of these out in the flesh (so to speak) the other day. I was very tempted to get one when I first saw this thread, but on examining it I'm still undecided. I think it would require a bit of work to get it looking right - namely fixing the pistons on the feet and replacing the bendy gun barrels. The head seems a little off to me proportion-wise, although I'm no AT-AT expert. It also needs a decent paint job and some weathering. On the plus side, at least you don't have to assemble it as you would do a ERTL/AMT kit.

37. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i got one yesterday... a gift from a friend with a discount at the local gaming store.

personally, i think it's a great item for the price.

38. rigormortis

CAT-AT vs Chicken Walker - Now taking bets. ;)
    [​IMG]

CAT-AT with AT-ATs - Tigger and the Empire vs the Rebel scum.
    [​IMG]

See... Cats just gotta be in prop pics. ;)

39. BoBoDohn

Those pics are great.

Can't wait to see them when your done with the mods..

40. phase pistol

CAT-ATs... (shudder)

Those are unstoppable. :confused

- k

41. rigormortis

Here's the beginning of getting rid of the moulded-in flashing on the ankles...
    [​IMG]

The inside strut is loose at the top, so you can put a new connection to the leg there pretty easy to make it more accurate.

The plastic melts like butter, so do it on slow. I used the roto-cutting drill bit and it worked pretty good. Now to file it and fill some of my over-zealous cutting. ;)

Dunno why they moulded them in there in the first place. It's rock-stable without them.

42. BoBoDohn

Excellent work so far rigormortis.

Please let us know what you find as filler.

43. DCB

DCB New Member

I was thinking it would be easier just to replace the pistons altogether with brass pipe, rather than try and cut out the flash.

44. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I just picked up one of these for $50 CDN in Toronto.....very nice for the $..very interested in how to mod this one....

45. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

KevVader where did you get yours in TO?

46. rigormortis

Yeah, I'm debating re-doing the pistons altogether as well, but I want to do a test fit and see what it looks like.

Comparing it to the MR feet, I'll have to fill in some of the detail holes and make new ones. Also the "toes" will need to be extended and some slots cut around them to look functional. I also have thought of cutting some of the legs to reposition them, but have to figure out the best way to do that and not screw them up. Maybe rigging a heated piano wire to slice through the plastic at the joints, but I may just carefully slice through them and refill. We'll see what I can come up with and I'll share with you guys.

Time to break out the modelling putty.

IMHO, for the price it's a pretty good buy and can be reworked and detail added with some plastic sheet. Just wish I had some up-close detail pics of the real model. I'd much rather have some fun and redo a $50 piece because it's more fun for me than just buying an MR. And if I screw up, I'm just out $50. ;)

47. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Got mine. I love it. It's really cool for a static display and the detail is very nice :)

[attachmentid=5093]

[attachmentid=5094]

48. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...can't remember the name of the place...doesn't say on the receipt or price tag. It was close to King and Spadina downtown....

I like it overall....the only thing is that I find that the head is a little oversized for the body....other than that you can't beat it for $50...

49. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I just got mine today and I am VERY pleased. :)

50. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Anyone made any progress with this? I 'm sorely tempted to buy one myself...