"That's BARBARIC!" "That's Wizard's Chess!" Making my Harry Potter chess set

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Pete SSS, May 9, 2012.

1. Pete SSS

Pete SSS Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First off, apologies for the ENORMOUS pics, I'm posting this from my phone and cant shrink them down!

I was lucky enough to get a set of great "Isle is Lewis" chess men for Christmas, just like the set that Harry and Ron play with in the Philosopher's (Scorcerer's) Stone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the thing I was missing was a suitable chessboard.

So I spent a while in photoshop, drawing up the fleu-de-lys borders around the squares, and then printed them out of a laser printer onto suitable paper.

[​IMG]

I then used some gold laser transfer foil over the printed ink, then ran it through a laminator to seal the foil to the ink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once all the squares and borders were ready, I cut out a 20 x 20 inch square of 18mm ply, then drew up the grid and started gluing on the paper parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was to edge the board with some strips of pine

[​IMG]

Next was to stain the back, then fit some vintage brass handles to use as feet.

[​IMG]

A bit of black paint on the side strips, and a nice coat of wax over the whole thing, and she's nearly finished.

[​IMG]

The only thing left to do is to find some suitable moulded beading to gold leaf and fix to the edges.

I haven't taken any photos of the board with the chess men in place yet, it's next on my list!

Slash-5, TheWolfofBees and Nexus6 like this.
  2. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

BEAUTIFUL work on the chessboard!!!! I keep meaning to buy a set of those chess figures but keep skipping it. Do you know where they were purchased from?

3. oliversnape

oliversnape Active Member

Sheesh that looks amazing. Brilliant job! How was the printed foil transfer? I've never done that before and I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

4. Pete SSS

Thanks! I got the Chessmen from a guy who casts the sets up in a polystone style resin. He's based here in England. I'll see if I can dig up his email for you. The casts did have a few bubbles, but they were tiny and just pushed off, I was very pleased with their quality.

5. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Sure, love to get that. Do you have pics of the actual pieces you have?

6. Pete SSS

Thanks! Here's a link to the site where I got the transfer foil from.

Crafty Computer Paper

On that page is a little video advertising the foil, it shows you how to use it there.

I've managed to find an email address, I'll PM it to you.
    Here are a few photos of my Chessmen on the board. They are not great shots, but will give you an idea of the quality. I'll take some proper photos of the set, once the board is totally finished. They really are nice pieces, they even have the soft, green felt on their bases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more thing I'd like to do to my board, is to make the white squares a little more creamy in colour, to closer match the colour of the white Chessmen. A bit of creative waxing should do the trick.

electrohippie13 and Nexus6 like this.
  7. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

That looks amazing! Very impressive results from some simple materials.

8. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic!

9. Pete SSS

Thanks guys. One of the reasons I really enjoyed this make was because it used such simple materials. Some times it's nice to get away from the fibreglass casting and the silicon moulding!

electrohippie13 likes this.
  10. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That seriously looks great! I would have never guessed it's just paper on plywood!

This really makes me want to start playing chess again...it's been close to 8 years since I last played and I definitely never had a board that looked half as good as this.

Is there any risk of the paper delaminating from the wood with the glue you used, or is it fairly solid?

-Nick

11. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Great work - the brass pull knobs for feet was inspired.

The pieces look to be really, REALLY close to the Lewis chessmen set, for what it's worth.

12. AceD

AceD New Member

This looks really great. Nice work on the chessboard!
    What does these chessmen cost?

13. Pete SSS

Thanks again. The paper is altogether bonded to the wood. As both the paper and the untreated timber are so absorbant, they really lock the glue in. I also used a nylon roller when fixing the paper down, to really apply a lot of pressure. The only thing that could interfere with it would be water, but the 3 coats of wax will protect it from any spillages.

Here's a close up shot of the waxed surface. You can see the grain of both the wood and the paper under the shine, to mimic a worn leather finish.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I really am very pleased with them, cheers.

I think they were about £25 - £30?

Nexus6 likes this.
  14. ElliotStone

ElliotStone Well-Known Member

This looks awesome, great build. I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it.

15. hopefulhp

hopefulhp Active Member

Love the chess set and the board is fabulous! Would you be willing to share where you got the chessmen?

16. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That foil transfer stuff is cool! And your build looks excellent. It's too bad the foil only works on paper, I'd love to have something like that for gilding leather book covers.

17. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

WOW! What attention to detail! Fantastic work.

18. Pete SSS

Sure, I'll PM his email to you.

Thanks! Yeah, the foil is great stuff, I've just begun to tap its potential I think. It would be incredible to find a similar method for leather guiding. In theory, you can use an iron over the foil to melt the ink, instead of a laminator, so if you could get the laser toner onto the leather cleanly, you'd be half way there. Dunno, there are a lot of unknowns there.

Thanks! The stage that took the most concentration was photoshopping the artwork for the printouts. It was nice and straight forward once that was done.

19. Chewcy

Chewcy Well-Known Member

Fantastic, you should do a run ofthe chess board it looks great!

20. narnia2012

narnia2012 Member

Yeees. You should do a run fo this. I would be one of the first ones to buy it. It's AMAZING!

21. AZNmastermind

AZNmastermind New Member

wow....no pieces yet and still blown away by just the board

22. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Amazing!!! Really glad to see something different from the harry potter world replicated. This is a beautiful set.

23. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was thinking about it, and it's possible that a thin piece of book binding leather could be run through a printer, but it would only work for really small books and I don't know if the toner would be clean. I don't have a laserjet myself, so I can't test it.

24. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Haven't played chess in years! :p

Congratulations on the great job and find!
    The set and board look absolutely fantastic!

25. Pete SSS

Thanks again for your comments everyone, much appreciated!

I don't think I'd like to risk putting leather through my printer, but there are methods for transferring laser toner from a printout onto other materials, like wood. People use Acrylic Medium over the toner on the paper then paste it onto another surface. When the paper is removed, a mirror image is left on the new surface. It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to get it onto leather. But I wonder if this method would transfer enough of the toner for the foil to stick to? And maybe the acrylic medium would seal it somehow? Not sure, I might do some experimenting when I've got a bit of time.

26. PhoenixWand

PhoenixWand Active Member

WOW! that's an awesome price. fantastic build and put together really cleverly:)

27. PhoenixWand

PhoenixWand Active Member

can you put up the fleu-de-lys square patterns

28. ctys

ctys New Member

That amazing! Love it! :D

29. ATL Kenobi

ATL Kenobi Well-Known Member

WOW! Excellent work! :thumbsup And thanks for sharing how the laser foil transfer works. I've been wanting to know for a long time how that was done.

ATL

30. DynamicMenace

DynamicMenace Active Member

31. Pete SSS

I just came across some old emails which had the name of the eBay seller I bought my Lewis Chessmen from. If any one want to pick some up, his ID is oggtheclever . He's got a few different colour and design options, send him a message if he doesn't have a red and white set listed, he was very helpful when I was buying my set.

32. DeLorean12

DeLorean12 Active Member

Top-notch work!

33. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A super build, nice work!

34. hpfan975

hpfan975 New Member

Beautiful work! I've recently gotten a set of Lewis chess molds and have been casting them and painting them up. I'd like to make a board to go with them as well. What sort of wax did you use on the board?

35. raggedyman

raggedyman New Member

As I don't have a laminating machine: Could I place a metal plate on it and heat it whith a heat gun?

Edit: And could you post or pm a brush template? I am not getting, how you printed it (in which dimension). It kind of confuses me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  36. santiclause

santiclause Sr Member

That looks great! I like the effect the wax mixed with the board underneath giving it that worn leather look like you said. Looks movie quality!

37. Pete SSS

Hey, thanks. I would say go for it, it's great to have a board you made your self! The wax is just coloured furniture/woodworking wax. Colron I think. I have a few of their colours to hand and used a combination to get this finish. Some clear, and a tiny bit of Jacobean Oak if i remember correctly (it was a while ago now!)

If you don't have a laminator, I understand that you can do the foil technique using an ordinary household iron. I haven't tried this. and I would guess it would take some practice. I think that would give you more control than a heat gun would though. I'm not sure what you mean by a "brush template"? Sorry.

Thanks! It's a nice thing to have hanging on the wall.

Thanks for the continued interest guys.

38. raggedyman

raggedyman New Member

I do not own Photoshop and my relationship with Gimp is not the best. Since I do not really know, how to make a file that would printed and cut out be one square of the board, I thought you could maybe upload the file or brushes or give advice. Gimp is not my true strength.

39. DivideByZero

DivideByZero New Member

I received my set of Lewis chess men today. I will be having a go at making this board some time soon.

Pete, how big are your pawns? Mine seem tiny so I am not sure if I ended up with a miniature set by mistake. Mine stand 4cm tall and are 2cm wide. I'm also not too happy with the moulding on my ones (got them from a different seller).

40. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Really nice set! Totally love it!

41. bennygorilla

bennygorilla Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's incredible work...didn't even know that's the chess piece collection. will be adding this to my to do list (its getting a bit big now :D)