TFA Captain Ithano - red merc helmet

inkblot

For lack of a better name, has anyone else seen any decent reference for the back of this merc's helmet?
c0816ac4d54ed358e1f0634f872ab059.jpgbb5b6b4fb000a3ec7dd0f1421e39f156.jpg

I have done some preliminary modeling in Zbrush and some low-poly reduction but I still lack a good profile shot showing how the back of the helmet should fit with the head. Still tinkering; would like to finalize the actual shape in the back before i tweak/fix up various topographical issues.
RedHelmet-WIP.pngRedMerc-mockup1.jpgRedMerc-mockup2.jpg
Once i'm done, I am probably going to transfer to paper, then foam, then Worbla & Bondo.

Last edited:
Re: The Force Awakens - red merc helmet

I decided to just jump in. It's been over a month and I still haven't been able to find more reference. Either he just ends up being a background character or he's on the cutting room floor entirely. I took my layout and blew it up 310% (from the very scientific 'fit to page' 8x5x11" print ;) ). After a quick test fitting of the front piece to ensure the distance from the eye to chin was sufficient, I started assembly last night.

Even though the pieces would fit on paper, there's a bit of bulk to deal with underneath, so getting some pieces to fit together well has been a bit tough - particularly with the piece on the top of the wings, where it fits the side of the head. This layout requires a considerable amount of stretching and heat warping.

RedPirate-WIP2.jpg

I'll finish assembly of the other side and once that's done, I'll need to do some more reshaping to push out the nose & mouth as well as to fix angles on the side of the head (so there's more of a straight up/down) and to get the curve on the wings more accurate.

Due to the stiffness of the EVA, the parts above the eyes are sticking out, but I think that will be less apparent once I drop some Worbla on everything. I may also need to put in some temporary means of keeping them more in line with the rest of the brow, since there is no visible means of connection on the reference.

I found an ebay listing for a toy loosely resembling this character, apparently made by Kenner. The packaging claims his name is En Burtt. There doesn't seem to be any other sources for this toy release though, so I have to wonder about the validity of the listing?

I found it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Card...-7-En-Burtt-red-pirate-4-Figure-/331606702269

ETA: Okay, the more I look at their listings, the more it seems they are just passing off custom figure hacks as official merchandise? Disappointing.

Last edited:

I found an ebay listing for a toy loosely resembling this character, apparently made by Kenner. The packaging claims his name is En Burtt. There doesn't seem to be any other sources for this toy release though, so I have to wonder about the validity of the listing?

I found it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Card...-7-En-Burtt-red-pirate-4-Figure-/331606702269

ETA: Okay, the more I look at their listings, the more it seems they are just passing off custom figure hacks as official merchandise? Disappointing.

I hate "custom" vintage SW toys on eBay, but the absolute worst are repro figures and/or card backs for vintage SW or Uzay figures sold on eBay. There's only one reason someone would make and sell these items and that's to scam poor schlubs that don't know any better.

Back to your thread: I really like the look of this character. The red is a really eye-catching. If I see any better ref pics, I'll snatch them and post them in here for you. I can't wait to see your final work!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443039140.421827.jpgAlways do a test fit as you work. Particularly before you do anything permanent. Top left: helmet fully covered in Worbla . Seams still need fixing and I am still heat forming certain parts to be more accurate, but it's getting there. HOWEVER - even though the Worbla was cut the same size (even a bit bigger) prior to assembly, it seems getting all the parts to fit together has really shrunk the whole thing. So now, even though there's still plenty of room inside, I can't fit it over my head (the neck hole is too small). Thankfully, I can still heat the worbla around the back, bend it back temporarily and cut out some of the excess foam. Good thing I haven't started the surface prep process though!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443309751.403214.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1443309763.219582.jpg
The last few days have been all about cleaning up bumps on seams as best I can prior to adding any sorts of fillers, then adding dimension on top of the wings and in the cheekbone area. As you might be able to tell, I'm not terribly precious with my thermoplastics and have no problem hacking in to them if I need (although arguably these are all details I could have modeled in before even printing out the pattern).

Things are getting a bit closer although I still feel the face bulges out a bit too much. I'll keep heat-forming that down a bit; hopefully that will help.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Bondo application and sanding has begun. Here it is with maybe three hours of work so far. I need to get this done before ambient temperature drops much more (it's been hovering between 15-20C here this week). The helmet also got some more trimming and burnishing to reduce overall seams and to clean up some curves before this treatment.

RedPirate-WIP-20151008.jpg

I saw that; the verbiage is almost verbatim from the 'custom' card back I found for the figure discussed above (which appears only on eBay and the seller's Flickr page) and I haven't been able to find any other credible sources for the relevant info.

My arms are sore from another Bondo/sanding session yesterday.

Here's where I'm at:

Essentially, most of the forms are finally where I want them to be. THere are still some symetry issues to deal with along the back, but the edge shapes along the side of the head are a bit more distinct and bulked up now. I'm also getting to the stage where I'm no longer dealing with potholes in my Bondo and they are a bit more like over-large pinholes. I am really hoping to get this done soon, but having to contend with ambient temperature and overall muscle fatigue. Am itching to get going on fabric, the gloves and boots as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

I found this magazine that had a good reference picture of the vest IMG_20151223_222037653.jpgIMG_20151223_221919055.jpgthe visual dictionary had a good shot as well.

Thanks! I was also jazzed to see he does at least show up for a few glimpses in the movie; it looks like the back of his helmet is sorta like the back of a conquistador helmet! I'll have to add some bulk to the back and taper it some to match.

http://amzn.com/1465438165

There are good pictures of Captain Ithano in that book. Inside and back cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back