Test piece. Feedback wanted

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by RvanAken, Aug 27, 2015.

1. RvanAken

RvanAken Active Member

I made a small test piece of a wall to see how I can make it realistic looking. It's made from XPS foam and painted with acrylic paint.

What do you think about it, any tips to make it even better?

I've started to make a typical Texelse (a Dutch island) sheep barn and want to make it as realistic as I can.

Attached Files:

2. 1stage

1stage Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks very nice!

3. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

Chewing gum on the pavement, random litter, water stains on walls etc etc.

4. RKS

RKS Active Member

5. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

I think it looks good! The sculpting of the foam is very convincing. I see the pattern has some odd shaped pieces, added to depict a 'repair' I expect. But would they look the same colors as the original material of the wall, or be more of a 'stone' coloration (not being original brick?) Same logic applies to any weathering - imagine the 'back story' of the wall (ah, this part has more shadow, it is a damp location, it is a sunny location, etc.) to arrive at further refinements to the color treatment. Great fun to do, eh?

Regards, Robert

6. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, this thread popped up just in time! I'm about to embark on making a "real" looking miniature of a fantasy-style cottage, and these leads couldn't have been more timely!

BTW the wall looks lovely. Any tips on how you went about it?

SB

7. RvanAken

RvanAken Active Member

rbeach84, you spotted the wall repair. Those stones have a gray basecoat but the difference isn't easily seen in the picture
    blue2k, I like the idea of a water stain. Any tips on creating one?
    StevenBills, I found some great tutorials on YouTube, I'll try to post them this evening when I'm at home. It's not that hard, just a lot of work. You'll have to trace the stones about three times. First marking them with a pen, then cutting them and then retracing them with a pen beveling the individual stones. To create a more interesting wall you can push a few stones in.

-R-

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    StevenBills likes this.
  8. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no idea. I have never made a scale model or diorama before. I am unfamiliar with the materials. Perhaps if you get some reference images of water damaged brick, you can replicate the effect using stains and varnishes?

9. RvanAken

RvanAken Active Member

i used these tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXb6EfDrmMsc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ6MRzDCNc from the terrain wench.

Most tutorials on youtube use heat to create the lines between the bricks but that gives a cartoony look to the walls i think. Or they only use a pen to inscribe the stones which a shallow line that can easily disappear while painting. This technique creates "individual" stones which stand out after painting with out getting to "cartoony"

-R-

10. RvanAken

RvanAken Active Member

StevenBills likes this.
  11. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's really nice.