Terra Nova References & Analysis Thread - for Pics of Props, etc.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mike J., Oct 21, 2011.

1. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm starting this as a 'references & analysis only' thread:

Please post only references of the props & costumes (etc) or analysis and dissection of the same.

Useful screencaps, behind-the-scenes photos or publicity stills are exactly what I'm hoping to compile here. If you can ID parts or found objects, please tell others.

This is not intended to be a guns-only thread. Props, vehicles, set dressing and costumes are all welcome here.

Critiques of the show itself will be politely frowned upon. That belongs in another thread or another forum. Think of this thread as a reference book.

Please do not post your own builds / replicas / works here :)

And please label, describe or caption the images in your post, in order to assist persons who may use the search function. Nothing fancy is necessary - very general terms should work fine.

Thank you, and have a nice day :)

-Mike J.

2. Mike J.

2149 'gas mask.'

3. Mike J.

Terra Nova guard uniform and armor.

4. Mike J.

Two pictures of Taylor's (Stephen Lang) pistol.

5. Mike J.

Blank-firing rifle. Note the cut-out in the stock (probably to accommodate the charging handle) and the cut-out for the ejection port.

6. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know this thread is not just about the weapons.but I sure hope we can compile some more pics of those...

7. Mike J.

Heh heh heh.

I've got a few more publicity stills to go through, and then we can dig into some hi-res screencaps. Don't you worry your pretty little head.

:)

-MJ

8. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

A couple of weeks ago, I took a bunch of screencaps from a 720p rip of the pilot.

Nite-Finder-based gun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recon-based gun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blank-firing gun (which turns out to be a Longshot flipped upside down):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mike J.

Thanks. You got some nice caps.

10. Sean

Sweet!thanks guys.I have to invest in some more nerf guns now...

11. Klowd

Klowd New Member

The armor was identified on a different website, Ill share it here. Its Dainese Wave Armour, just with a little paint. Its motorcycle rider armor, so Ill assume its not cheap.

Cheers,
    -John-

12. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gasmask looks like a 3M half mask respirator with some added junk.

[​IMG]

13. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

I thought this was interesting..

[​IMG]

Yep. It’s the same gun. They’ve bought a bunch of Nerf guns, painted them black, and handed them out to the extras. And you know what? It kind of works. You’d never suspect that’s what those prop guns are, without the NERF gun sitting right next to them.

14. Mike J.

Two rifles.

15. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

AnubisGuard, you're my freeking hero for the day.

Having built the Rifle, I'm doing the Pistol right now. Your pictures have helped a LOT, thanks.

Oh, expect to see a "Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial" in a few days :lol:

16. Mike J.

The pistol uses parts from the Recon light.

-MJ

17. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those have an M-4 as the base. You can see the charging handle and back end of the carry handle, ejection port, muzzle...oh, and the very obvious 30 rd magazine in the last pic.

18. Mike J.

Guard costume.

19. Mike J.

Good eye, Chris :)

20. Mike J.

Blank-firing rifle. Note what appear to be cut-outs for the delta ring and the bolt catch. The cut-down stock area (for the charging handle) is also visible.

21. Mike J.

Taylor (Stephen Lang) holding one of the 'mystery' guns.

Guys, what do you think we should call these things? The ones with the green lasers that shoot green blasts?

Stun guns? Tasers? Green guns?

-MJ

22. Mike J.

Taylor with rifle and his pistol.

23. Mike J.

Our hero's 2149 Chicago police badge.

24. Mike J.

Nice, high-resolution picture of a rifle.

25. Mike J.

Side view of a rifle, with a missing magazine. Not my own pic, obviously.

26. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Commander Taylor: "If you do engage slashers, aim for the under-belly. Thier hides are too thick for the Tranq-guns to penitrate."

Had to go watch it again on Hulu :lol

27. Mike J.

Huh. Interesting. Thank you :)

28. Etewaf

Etewaf Active Member

Great thread, I'm subscribed. Just a heads up, the handguns are about 8 bucks at Target. I saw them there today and recognized them immediately. I'll have to stop back and pick up a few, along with some recons.

29. jurassictom3

jurassictom3 New Member

I think it would b cool if u could make the knife / slasher tail barb shown in episode 1. the photos are attached sorry about the poor quality but i still think u can see the main points.

30. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

Im curious if the budget for this show was Roger Corman based? FYI, you can get that motorcycle armor for about $35 as an import replica. I assume based on the low budget props that unless product placement supplied the real thing, its replica armor.

31. Mike J.

Pistol pics - some seen before.

32. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

It's very hard to tell from just that one pic, but looking at the business end of the barrel... it could be made using one of NERF's new Vortex guns that fires little discs, rather than darts. But I'd need to see more pics from different angles to be sure. :unsure

33. Mike J.

That occurred to me, but the Vortex guns must have come out long after the pilot was done shooting ... right? Months, if not longer ... ?

-Mike J.

34. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Yeah, good point. Hmmm.... still, they aren't the first guns ever made that fire little plastic discs... disc-firing toy guns have been around for DECADES... could still be a toy. We just have to identify which one. :unsure

35. Sean

when you pic the ones from target up.could you post some pics of them please.

36. captanapollo

captanapollo New Member

They were called trank guns by the art dept, although some parts came from nerf guns, they were largly scratch built, the master was made from timber and a section of pvc pipe ,the top section was made fom sections of the nerf gun magazines. originally they were supposed to fire disks, however the design was altered . these were also molded, and cast in urethane. The lazers were added later.

37. whiteraven

whiteraven Active Member

As much as I love this show, it is rather disheartening to see lazy prop makers on the set. I mean even most of us on here that are "not professionals" can see what they are, and could do at least a little better.

Good show nonetheless.

38. Etewaf

Etewaf Active Member

Does anyone else think the barrel for the pistol is from the recon? The 'slots' would have to be filled, but it appears to have those little pinline grooves, just like the recon.

39. Mike J.

I dunno - they have a similar bevel, but I don't think the diameter of the bore matches the Recon.

EDIT: Not that the bore couldn't have been drilled out... The way stuff has been scratchbuilt to match the look of the Nerf stuff, there may be no way to tell for sure, unless we get some really nice pics.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  40. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

Although I completely agree, it could come down to factors that has nothing to do with the actual art dept. The production designer may responsible as they had a design to come up with and it was signed off on, time is a major factor as is budget. Maybe all at the same time lead to "Nerf guns".

Examples of past sillery in prop design by a production design team yet manufactured from scratch, Spiderman 3 swords with hilts based on paintball items, the breathers from Riddick based on asthma breathers, and without going into detail ill just mention BSG, Star Wars and Star Trek where many items were strait off the shelf with some not getting as much as a little paint work.

What i can not stand is design with zero function. Thats why I cant stand Star Trek props or bulky sci fi items that are bulky and clumsy for no reason other than it looks "futuristic".

41. Sean

just a newbie opinion.but it looks like this one to me...

42. Mike J.

You are correct :)

43. Sean

Small question.I'm not new to building props that I can't afford or get a hold of.but I am new to the social prop building thing.and the only law I now are that re casters are scum.I was just wondering if I follow somebody's build thread and build one too.am I breaking any builders law?

44. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Sean, in my experience that kind of thing is supported, appreciated, and enjoyed here if you share the results of your build too.

45. Sean

Thanks Noeland...

46. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Nope, in fact that is exactly why I do my tutorials, so people without the means to purchase "done" props and replicas can have them too.
    Sure I keep some secrets, like the Battle Droid won't ever show up as a tut...not because I don't want people to know how to do it, but that there would have to be litterally thousands and thousands of pictures to cover the almost 500 hour build!:eek

Basicly if you think you can do it, try.

The only real "rules" I know of are; Don't pass off other peoples work as yours, don't recast, don't make false claims (like "this is a REAL screen used prop!") Other then that...BUILD!

47. Mike J.

Sean, Noeland and Jonny B are right - sharing and following along are very welcome here! As are sharing, and following, and sharing, and following.

Sharing is caring :)

We don't come to the 'forum' to keep secrets. (Except you, Pythagoras, with your theorems, and your golden means, and your ... secrets. Give him the hemlock!)

Back in the olden days, there would be the occasional 'group build', where a bunch of folks would all build their own (insert prop name here) together.

:)

-Mike J.

48. Sean

Thanks guys.that is a big help to me.now if I could just learn posting pics better.tired of thumb nails.

49. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

select 800x600 (15 inch)

Under "Brouse" Find where you put the picture and select it.

Upload.

Click "Link"

Right on picture and select Properties.

Hold left mouse button down and highlite the URL, then Right click ON the highlighted URL and select Copy.

Come back here and click the "Insert Image" icon

In window that opens, right click on the http//: and select Paste.

Click OK and your done.

[​IMG]

50. Sean

thanks Jonny B.....