Terminator T-800 CPU Receptacle

Endoskeleton

Hi folks -

This is something I've put a lot of work into lately and just about getting ready to wrap up. The chip removal scene is one of my favorites from T2... and this prop has been on my list of things to do for a long time. Can't say it was easy but I picked up something new along the way. With all that's going on nowadays with 3D modeling and printing, I wanted to learn at least some basics... although I really suck at it. :lol But the logical thing for me to do and learn at the same time was to make something that would help me out with a project. And so, I managed to draw up my first 3D model of the CPU chip using Sketchup. Everything else was built from scratch the old fashion way.

This is not much of a WIP as I'm close to being done... but the receptacle is broken into 13 pieces at the moment plus the chip. It was just easier to make this way and then consolidate some of the pieces before the final model is put together. I only have a few pics to show right now but will post the finish model later in the week.

Thanks for looking.

The Shock Dampening Assembly
IMG-20120910-00181.jpg

RB Chip next to unfinished Shock Dampening Assembly
297646_483964491615121_2135008654_n.jpg

Test fitting...
IMG-20120911-00185.jpg

TerminatorChip-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Terminator T-800 CPU Receptacle from Deleted Scene in T2

Great project. Is it to scale or oversized? Apparently the one in the film is oversized.

And so, I managed to draw up my first 3D model of the CPU chip using Sketchup.

My first 3D model. Yay!!!
TerminatorChip-1.jpg

SketchUp? Really? What settings because none of my models look like this :confused

Great project. Is it to scale or oversized? Apparently the one in the film is oversized.

SketchUp? Really? What settings because none of my models look like this :confused

The model is oversized - same as seen on screen.

Settings? You mean template, right? I used the 'Architectural Design' template in millimeters. Don't get me wrong... it wasn't easy for me. It took me about a week when it would probably take an experienced modeler about 10 mins to draw up something like this.

I am in total Awwww......I gots to have one for my Terminator collection......Here is my leg and right arm....heres my liver, and one lung...and well you get the idea.......lol
Awesome work Big E....I love it....OOOPPP.....feeling faint ....think I am going to pass out ...getting darker......lazy eye.......uuugghhh.................................................
..............................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................
...................................................................................................

I am in total Awwww......I gots to have one for my Terminator collection......Here is my leg and right arm....heres my liver, and one lung...and well you get the idea.......lol
Awesome work Big E....I love it....OOOPPP.....feeling faint ....think I am going to pass out ...getting darker......lazy eye.......uuugghhh.................................................
..............................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................
...................................................................................................
LOL!!! Thanks Guy! Don't worry, it'll be very reasonably priced ;) I should have 'em in the JY by next week.

LOL!!! Thanks Guy! Don't worry, it'll be very reasonably priced ;) I should have 'em in the JY by next week.
Anything you can do is much appreciated, cant believe you pulled it off ,so many have talked about it ,but never seen anyone ever do it.....but you did,fantastic.......I got to go and give 4 pints of blood to get the money.........lol.......

Would you share your 3d sketchup file ? I'm interested into trying to 3d print it.
Thanks

Amazing work Ken. The attention to detail is incredible. :thumbsup

That looks great!
Would you consider making lots of these and selling them?
If so......
I'LL HAVE ONE!!!

Would you share your 3d sketchup file ? I'm interested into trying to 3d print it.
Thanks

I don't mind sharing my file as long as it's for personal use.

However, if it's just the chip you want, you might just want to wait until I get the run going so that I can order them in bulk.

I got the chip printed about a month ago and it came out much better than expected. They were even able to capture the pin detail in the blade. Here's a pic of it next to my RB chip.

IMG-20120912-00187.jpg

The chip is gonna be relooked over by one of my good friends. May need to be tweaked a little.

I don't mind sharing my file as long as it's for personal use.
Yes personal use / decoration only

However, if it's just the chip you want, you might just want to wait until I get the run going so that I can order them in bulk.
I have a 3d printer (MakerBot Thing-O-Matic).

I also have a laser cutter / engraver coming (less than 3 week I hope).

Depending on how thick it is, they might look more high resolution laser cut pieces glued together.

The model is oversized - same as seen on screen.

I guess the beauty of using a program like SU is that you can scale the unit to be ANY size, including that monster prototype chip Dyson has (which I want to make BTW) in both the Lab when we first see the arm and damaged ship and in the deleted scene "meet the pilot".

Settings? You mean template, right? I used the 'Architectural Design' template in millimeters. Don't get me wrong... it wasn't easy for me. It took me about a week when it would probably take an experienced modeler about 10 mins to draw up something like this.

Yes what settings, if you don't mind sharing.

attachment.php

Obvisiously, my model is not complete, but my lines are thick and jaggie. Yours look more professional. What I want to know is how to change this?

Yes personal use / decoration only

I have a 3d printer (MakerBot Thing-O-Matic).

I also have a laser cutter / engraver coming (less than 3 week I hope).

Depending on how thick it is, they might look more high resolution laser cut pieces glued together.

Shoot me over a PM and we can sort out the file.

I'm interested to see if one of these home machines can capture such small detail.

If you laser cut the pieces, more than likely you're gonna need to deal with deburring the edges and it also seems there would be a bit of work involved piecing the model together.

I'm still quite surprised how this print came out. The print lines are so faint, it only requires a bit of light sanding. The detail captured in the blade is the best part.

I guess the beauty of using a program like SU is that you can scale the unit to be ANY size, including that monster prototype chip Dyson has (which I want to make BTW) in both the Lab when we first see the arm and damaged ship and in the deleted scene "meet the pilot".

Yes what settings, if you don't mind sharing.

Obvisiously, my model is not complete, but my lines are thick and jaggie. Yours look more professional. What I want to know is how to change this?

I haven't touched SU for awhile... but I understand what you mean now.

Go to the... Window drop down menu and select Styles. There, you'll see a Select tab where you can adjust the pixels and thickness of your lines.

Btw, there's a thread somewhere about Dyson's lab and desktop computer. I was actually the person that built it many moons ago.

I haven't touched SU for awhile... but I understand what you mean now.

Go to the... Window drop down menu and select Styles. There, you'll see a Select tab where you can adjust the pixels and thickness of your lines.

Btw, there's a thread somewhere about Dyson's lab and desktop computer. I was actually the person that built it many moons ago.

Thanks for that. I've been playing around this morning and came up with this.

attachment.php

I found that by playing in the setting in View>Edge/Face Style, I was able to get the lines to look more consistent.

Yeah I drawing the full sized Dyson prototype a while ago and didn't finish it because at 1:1, it was going to be over 750mm long. I had this idea that I could make one from layered MDF and Vac Form it in two halves, but the size was too large for me to do anything with. Maybe a 3/4 size is do-able. Also the joiners between the cubes would have to be 1 1/4 pipe.

Cool :thumbsup I still don't know a small fraction of what SU is capable of. If you asked me to draw up the chip again, I can't even remember exactly how I did it the first time.

I see where you're going with the idea of MDF and vac-forming the blocks... but you're going to encounter issues with structural stability. For something the size of Dyson's prototype... I will say from experience that there's no way to cheat it. Everything needs to be solid and evenly supported.

Cool :thumbsup I still don't know a small fraction of what SU is capable of.

Have you seen that walk around "Docking Bay 94" from Star Wars? It was all done in the free version of SU.

I see where you're going with the idea of MDF and vac-forming the blocks... but you're going to encounter issues with structural stability. For something the size of Dyson's prototype... I will say from experience that there's no way to cheat it. Everything needs to be solid and evenly supported.

My model above is just 40mm long and could be laser cut from 1mm plastic, then layered up. The thickness needs re-working as the scaling the legth and width changed that.

My "prototype chip" model was originally a single piece, then cut into layers, but as mentioned became too big to be practical. Each cube was to be 100mm and the pipe between each cube was about 35mm dia.

What I wanted to do was make the two outer parts (one buck) and two inner parts (2nd buck), then glue the halves together. So each of the pipes joining the cubes would be a part of the main Vac pull. If heat (my heater gets smoking hot) and suction (I now have a vacuum pump and chamber) was sufficient, the plastic should form well, though wall thickness would be reduced greatly on the sides.

The reason I didn't continue with the project was size where I needed to keep the unit under 550mm long. This would mean reducing the size of each cube to somewhere between 50mm and 75mm. I looked at breaking the model in to smaller parts, but I lost interest.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back