Terminator T-800 build

AndysMachines

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Several existing members have suggested I post on here about my Terminator build I've been documenting on Youtube, there is a playlist here: Building The Terminator Or just go to my channel: youtube/andysmachines

I've been building this for just over a year now and have recently completed the skull. This is actually my 2nd attempt to build a terminator, all from scratch by hand using no kits or premade parts etc. My first attempt was over 10 years ago and it was mostly cast aluminium, I always planned to build it as an actual working robot, not just a static model. It became evident that my first attempt was not going to work, mainly because it was too heavy, and I didn't complete it and moved on to other projects. Now I'm building another one with a different approach, most of the parts have been made from sheet metal or machined, whilst this takes a lot longer it works a lot better for what I'm trying to do. Technology has also moved on and now it will be a lot easier to automate the robot and pack enough processing power into it for things like vision processing, mapping it's surroundings etc. Though it will still be a while before I get to that stage.

And for anybody who's worried, I won't be giving the terminator any legs, so you'll still be able to outrun it! I plan on building the 'half' terminator from the end of the 1st film, after Kyle blows it up with a pipe bomb.

Some photos below,

Andy
final.png
finalclose.png
grab1.png

Yes, the eyes were a lot of work, I wanted to build working irises into them and while they do actually work, I'm not 100% happy with how they close and also actuating them whilst the eyes are moving in two planes is going to be harder than I imagined. I planned to have a system of universal joints with long rods running to the back of the skull where a servo would turn them to operate the iris, but now I'm thinking I might just go with a T2 style eye with the grid pattern more like yours.

Yes, the eyes were a lot of work, I wanted to build working irises into them and while they do actually work, I'm not 100% happy with how they close and also actuating them whilst the eyes are moving in two planes is going to be harder than I imagined. I planned to have a system of universal joints with long rods running to the back of the skull where a servo would turn them to operate the iris, but now I'm thinking I might just go with a T2 style eye with the grid pattern more like yours.
Yeah, I can imagine how hard it was. Not much space. In T2 when the boot up sequence happens in the steel mill, and the iris opens up. That was done with an oversized prop.
You’ve done a great job fitting it all in a normal sized eye. And to get it to work at all is super impressive.
you could make two sets. Then you can always change out if it doesn’t work.
I will make another set with the iris half closed. So can choose what eyes to put in.

Awesome job! I'm actually building my own T-800 full scale out of PVC which I've posted about in the forums. I have one question that I hope you can help with? I'm working on the head right now from a kit I purchased, but it came with 2 clear LED lights for the eyes. There was no information on the size of the LEDs, and was wondering if you could tell me what the actual size the LEDs are so I can look around to purchase 2? The voltage would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Awesome job! I'm actually building my own T-800 full scale out of PVC which I've posted about in the forums. I have one question that I hope you can help with? I'm working on the head right now from a kit I purchased, but it came with 2 clear LED lights for the eyes. There was no information on the size of the LEDs, and was wondering if you could tell me what the actual size the LEDs are so I can look around to purchase 2? The voltage would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back