Terminator: Genisys (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Terminator: Genisys movie discussion with spoilers.

Terminator Genisys Movie - Official Trailer - YouTube

terminator_genisys_SB-arnold-poster1-720x1066.jpg

Attachments

• terminator_genisys_SB-arnold-poster1-720x1066.jpg
    terminator_genisys_SB-arnold-poster1-720x1066.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it last night. I went in wanting to like it. I've actually been defending the potential for it to be a good movie. I mean, who knows, maybe the writer had a REALLY good Terminator story to tell.

He did not.

THE GOOD!

- Sarah Connor is super cute.
- I liked the first 10 minutes or so. I could get nit-picky about terrible dialogue and such, but I was looking past it, hoping for a great movie.
- I liked the guy playing Kyle Reese.
- Schwarzenegger looks good as "Pops"
- CG T800 Arnold looked DAMN good.
- AZN T-1000 was cool

THE BAD

- Sarah Connor is super cute! seriously... you just wanna squeeze her cheeks.
- The Casting of John Connor... was that Jon C Reilly? No? Are you sure?
- While I liked him, I didn't buy the new guy as Kyle Reese.
- most dialogue was exposition. Confusing exposition.
- Muddled story.
- The "big reveal" has been given away in the trailer.
- outside of the stuff that was supposed to be the same scenes as the first movie, there are close to 50 call backs to the other two. It's too much.
- Smiling Arnie didn't work in T2 (thus it was cut) and works even less here.
- There was probably a decent story outline for this flick that got lost in the script.
- Non-sensical time travel stuff.
- T-800? more like T-800 Lines of Exposition, amiright?!!?

Last edited:
- outside of the stuff that was supposed to be the same scenes as the first movie, there are close to 50 call backs to the other two. It's too much.

THIS /\

It was like they took the first two films, tossed them together like dice and threw them down and made a new film with what landed. We get a T800, T1000 and a newer model. We get heading, again, to Cyberdyne to blow it up. We get endless, useless gunfire into terminators having zero effect. We get yet another attempt to stop Judgement Day from ever happening.

Best parts for me were the CG 1984 Arnie and the recreated shots from the original. Back when all this WAS original. It doesn't stink, but it's about a 6 on my scale.

Not the best, not the worst. Better than T3 at least. I definitely think the beginning future scenes and 1984 were the best parts.

- The "big reveal" has been given away in the trailer.

When new ads came out this week they left me feeling like they should have had a Spoiler Alert preface on them.
I imagine they are under a lot of pressure to perform after JW crushed it.

I had fun. Better than 3 and 4.
I can understand how callbacks can be grating, but somehow they won me on this occasion.

Has anyone mentioned Sarah is super cute? ;)

Not just cute, but sexy-cute. :love

After another day to process the movie I'm left with a few questions.

Who sent Pops back?
Why didn't Skynet take control of John before he sent Kyle back?
How were they able to build a time machine in 1984 but John couldn't in 2017? He should have all of Skynets files at his disposal.
How does a uniformed cop from LA in 1984 miraculously work in San Francisco in 2017 where Kyle and Sarah show up?

I enjoyed it, but MAN were there a lot of plot holes!!!!!

Things I Liked:
1) The 1984 scenes redone
2) John giving Kyle the message
3) The subtle Kyle Reese piano theme that played now and then in the background, LOVED that

Things I Hated:
1) CGI was awful
2) The Superman strength and speed terminators magically have now
3) Jai Courtney was nothing like the character Michael Biehn brought to life. At all. That depresses me.

Oh, and...
Why did Pops blow up Sarah's parents house when she was a kid?! I don't get that at all! He was standing with a smoking bazooka.

:facepalm
Even though so many says it is sooo bad it still gets way too high ratings. 6/10? more like minus six out of ten.

I enjoyed it. They tried really hard to tie it together, even finding a guy who looked like Bill Paxton.

:lol

Looks nothing like Paxton and all of the punks are all wrong, clothes, hair style....

I'm pretty sure most of the audience won't notice, and if they do, they won't care. Heck, I've seen T1 just before Genesys, as part of a mini marathon my regular movie theatre was offering, and I didn't notice... But then again, I'm not particularly fan of the Terminator franchise, I like them for what they are, action/sci-fi movies with Schwarzenegger. And the last one was OK, had much more of a Terminator vibe than the last one with Bale for sure. And I thought the beginning mimicking the first movie was pretty well done, as most of the people in the room from what I could overhear at the end of the movie.

Just another every-day-run-of-the-mill action movie. Not horrible, but not worth watching again.

Liked:
Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor
Some of the future battle scenes
that's about it. All I can think of . . . 2 things.

Disliked:
Jason Clarke as John Connor - Terrible casting
Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese - not believable
Terminator smiling way too many times
New T800 endos all look like they are smiling too, WTH?
A T1000 in a police uniform AGAIN
J.K. Simmons character - absolutely pointless and had no effect on the plot. Why was he even in this movie???
Too many more to list . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't really know who sent Pops to 1973, but based on Sarah's description, a T1000 was also there to kill her and Pops saved her by shooting it.

Way too many terminators sent back to too many times. Next film will be set in 1955. The terminator will be in the shape of a teenage boy named Biff and his mission will be to make certain that Sarah's parents never meet and fall in love at the Enchantment Under the Sea high school dance. The rebellion will send back a protector (teenage boy named Marty) to stop him. When the mission is done, he meets Miles Dyson's father who helps build a time displacement machine in his garage to send him 'back to the future.' GREAT SCOTT!!!

Too bad Sarah missed BTTF II by five years, she could've wondered where all the flying cars were in 2017.

- - - Updated - - -

Simmons sprung them out of the hospital, so he had an effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Sarah wasn't as effective as the T2 John was in training Arnie not to kill people. The poor slob who was driving that fuel tanker had a very bad day.

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah, there were holes. How did Kyle get the alternate timeline memory of him talking in the mirror when that hadn't even happened yet in ANY timeline?

Given the time paradox thing, Pops needn't have worried about Sarah and Kyle conceiving John. They're setting their own new timeline, and any of their offspring will grow up in it. Even if they just jumped to 1997 as originally intended, they were going to stop Judgment Day, so John wouldn't need to lead the resistance, and if they failed he'd be too young to do so.

Not to mention that any child they conceived would not be John, since they'd be "mating" at a different moment and a different sperm would win the race.

The only time travel scenario that would even come close to making sense given the events in these movies is the BTTF approach, where the original timeline(s) are NOT changed, they are just creating new ones parallel. So John need not be created in the first place. He would still "exist" in his original timeline.

Hey, think of all the people "now" alive since the original T-800 was taken out of action right away. Sarah's roommate, the other Sarah Connors, Paul Winfield and many other cops, Dick Miller, Lance Henricksen, Bill Paxton....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back