Terminator: Dark Fate

The androgynous one has had some work done, that's for sure. There are scars across her chest, arms and neck. Reminds me of the surgical marks laid out on Wolverine before bonding the Adamantium to his skeleton. So, I'm guessing she's probably a cyborg.

Aside from that, I can't say I'm feeling excited for this one. T3 was horrible, hated Salvation, was mildly entertained by Genisys (in spite of the new Reese trying to ruin it in every single scene).

was mildly entertained by Genisys (in spite of the new Reese trying to ruin it in every single scene).
There's probably only you and me around with this opinion...:)
I think Genisys could have been a pretty good flick had Reese been played by an actor instead of a wooden log and the tone had been a bit darker.

So the studios first official look at thier exciting new action franchise reboot is 3 people standing next to each other? One of them is just walking, and doesn't even have a weapon of any kind? She just looks like she's walking into work.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing if this movie is a train wreck or something worth seeing, and I'll wait for a trailer at the very least to decide that.

Outside of the TV show, and some of the early comic books published by Dark Horse, I have not been excited about The Terminator since the second film. But, like Predator and Aliens, I'm always rooting for these movies to be good and to return to form.

It's a good sign that Cameron is returning but at the same time I wonder why they keep making these films? They seem to just get worse and more convoluted with each sequel and as a result I seldom meet anyone who cares about the franchise beyond the first two.

There's probably only you and me around with this opinion...:)
I think Genisys could have been a pretty good flick had Reese been played by an actor instead of a wooden log and the tone had been a bit darker.
Genisys is one of those films that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. It has everything going for it but just doesnt quite make it.
Part of what maked Reese so good in the original is that he looked war ravaged and desperate. Jai courtney looked like he'd just come from the gym. Too big, well fed and healthy looking to have grown up underground fighting for his life everyday. Beihn really sold that.

I will never not bring up the stupidity of making Jai Courtney play Kyle Reese while Sebastian Stan exists.

Yeah he'd of been a fantastic choice. Wilson Bethel was on the short list as well, and I think it may have been a star making role for him had he played it. But anybody would have been better than Jai Courtney.

Genisys is one of those films that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. It has everything going for it but just doesnt quite make it.
Part of what maked Reese so good in the original is that he looked war ravaged and desperate. Jai courtney looked like he'd just come from the gym. Too big, well fed and healthy looking to have grown up underground fighting for his life everyday. Beihn really sold that.

I didn't mind his look, as much as his attitude. He was constantly astounded by everything, taken completely by surprise and dumbfounded at every turn. He's supposed to be a soldier. Not just that, but an experienced veteran. Not some wide eyed recruit who has never experienced anything.

That's what overshadowed his "too fit" appearance.

Beihn was great because he could improvise his plan, take charge, kick butt. He was also a broken, desperate man, on the verge of losing it. I think his love for Sarah was the only reason he didn't swallow a bullet. He took on a suicide mission, he knew it. He did it anyway because that's what was needed.

Jai Courtney acted like he was on a middle school field trip.

Last edited:
I didn't mind his look, as much as his attitude. He was constantly astounded by everything, taken completely by surprise and dumbfounded at every turn. He's supposed to be a soldier. Not just that, but an experienced veteran. Not some wide eyed recruit who has never experienced anything.

That's what overshadowed his "too fit" appearance.

Beihn was great because he could improvise his plan, take charge, kick butt. He was also a broken, desperate man, on the verge of losing it. I think his love for Sarah was the only reason he didn't swallow a bullet. He took on a suicide mission, he knew it. He did it anyway because that's what was needed.

Jai Courtney acted like he was on a middle school field trip.
Agreed. Not to mention that kiss at the end of the movie that came out of nowhere, cuz there was zero chemistry or even a romance subplot to set it all up...Also it was Genisys when I really faced the ugly side of this franchise-building crap. Instead of making ONE movie that's properly made and see how it does before thinking about sequels they wanted to make a trilogy, so they only sold half a story. There were plot lines like who sent the old Arnie deliberately thrown in (but not actually worked or mapped out where they would lead) and when the movie underperformed they were just like "ah well, tough for those who were actually interested", so Genisys has basically no right to exist any more. It's a half-baked cake that never will be finished. Same with the Warcraft movie, although I wasn't that much invested in that one or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (which I'm still holding out for).

Speaking of the current new Terminator, did you guys know that they're planning it as a trilogy?

"Instead of making ONE movie that's properly made and see how it does before thinking about sequels they wanted to make a trilogy, so they only sold half a story."

Sad, but true. They're ruining one of my most favorite franchises.

Noeland
Bethel would have been a great choice too going by his physical appearance, I've never seen him in anything to judge his acting. Apparently he'll be playing Bullseye in Daredevil season 3 which is a pretty big deal

Side note, Genisys is on in the break room at work and I can't stand how they basically just decided to run through the plots of the first two films and make every little reference possible

Last edited by a moderator:
The franchise-building is one of my real pet peeves. It's one of the earliest questions I ask my friends about a new movie they liked - "Did they finish the movie this time? Or am I watching the first half of something?"

IMO you can usually use this as a measure of the movie's overall quality. If the ending felt compromised to sell the next one then the rest of the movie was probably compromised for profit in general. Stupid casting, rushed shooting on an unfinished script, etc.

So the studios first official look at thier exciting new action franchise reboot is 3 people standing next to each other?

I'll take it over those bizarre 'everyone makes a screaming face like Sylvester Stallone' promos that were our first look at Genisys in EW a few years back. Possibly the worst studio promo shots I'd ever seen.

I can't tell if by "bloodbath" they're implying it's going to be a tight race between them, or "bloodbath" in that a Terminator movie with the original Sarah Connor in it is going scyth through Charlie's Angels, leaving more blood and gore in its wake than a fleet of wheat harvesters rolling through the hippie packed fields of Woodstock...

It's not even a competition, right? Charlie's angels is gonna release "against" Terminator so they can blame THAT for why it does poorly, right?

I hope they film this next movie as a complete film instead of just half a story to be continued with assumed sequels. My Father died before 'Return of the Jedi' released and he always felt cheated having TESB ending like it did.

I do like they are ignoring the T3-4-5 films. The Terminator I felt was a complete movie and stood well on it's own. T-2 was a big budget action film which was OK but I personally did not like the T-1000. It was a cool visual with the liquid metal but IMO that was far too big a leap in technology. I would have preferred a more advanced terminator that did have some extra features like the TX (but stuck in one representation of a human like Arnold).

I would much rather have one great movie instead of a franchise, but Hollywood like to play the odds of future sequels to guarantee the money

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back