Terminator 2 Harley Fat Boy 1/6th scale

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Kiwimike, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

I'm planning a 1/6th scale build of the Harley Fatboy featured in T2. One thing I notice about other models out there is no one has got the tread on the front tire right. Does anyone know what the make/model of the front tire is? None of the 1/6th scale kits (Tamiya) have the correct tread. I face-booked the Museum in Milwaukee where the actual bike is now housed to ask them about the tire but haven't had an answer back. Here's a shot of the bike showing the tread on the front tire.

Attached Files:

2. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

I'll try another tack. Any RPF members live in Milwaukee where the actual bike from the film is now housed at the Harley Davidson museum? I've face-booked the museum but they aren't replying.

3. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

I've made contact with the Hollywood museum in Tennessee which also has a version of the bike. I've decided I'm going to model the wheel in some CAD software and 3d print it.

4. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

1. The RPF is not google.
    2. The RPF is not Google.

It's funny how you had a question to ask and then answered it all by yourself.........:lol

5. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Screenshot (12).png

Here's the front tire, modeled using Rhino CAD software.The long time between posts was spent learning how to use Rhino.

6. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well I think thats time well spent, hope it works out for you.
    My dad builds 1/4 motorcycle models, exquisite in detail & one of a kind models.
    To this end he even has to make the tyres. He machines the alloy molds & uses actual rubber to produce the final tyres.
    The tread is engraved/machined into the molds as well.
    In 1/6 be no different, more fiddly, but can be done.
    Honestly though the labour costs would be too high to warrant a comission but thought you might like to know there's others out there that just have to have the right tyre.
    Stu

7. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Cool, thanks Stu. Nice to know there are others out there that share my obsessive nature!

8. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking for the full size tire :p just as hard to find it seems hehe

9. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

10. The Terminator

11. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Very cool 3rd model, kiwimike. Hi Stu, where can we see your Dad's bike models? Do you have a link somewhere? I love looking at scratch building pics and methods. Thanks.

12. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

I'd be interested in seeing your dad's work too Stu. As for The Terminator, you're welcome. It took me a while to find the right tire, believe me. I now just need to confirm if the rear tire is a Dunlop 401D or a 402D. Will let you know when I do.

13. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

14. The Terminator

15. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

[​IMG]Terminator,do you know what mufflers are on the bike? They have some stamped detail on them and in this photo I can read the word "super" stamped under the detail, but I haven't been able to track down the make/model

Attached Files:

16. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Dude, got it. It's a SUPERTRAPP muffler!

17. The Terminator

lol indeed I have done my own research for a while and supertrapp is correct. I e-mailed a retailer selling HD exhausts and other parts and they just said "That is a set of stock headers from another model of bike, and then a set of aftermarket mufflers", so no help. I still haven't found the correct supertrapp part# and/or name. Only one that is very similar but doesn't match exactly. Link: http://www.wildbike.it/catalogo/en/...html?search_query=supertrapp+harley&results=9

But the hunt is on :)

18. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

19. The Terminator

Not yet, but I am about to. I will let you know what they say :)

20. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here's my first cut at the rear tire. Terminator, do you have a photo of the full size tire? I'm concerned I've modeled the edge of the tire tread as too pronounced and sharp. Plus, I'd like to know what's written on the tire, apart from Harley Davidson and Dunlop, etc.

Attached Files:

21. The Terminator

PM:ed you with a link to some high res photos I shot today :)

22. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here's a shot of the final version of the rear tire, with crazy, insane detail on it. Thanks Terminator for the awesome high rez photos of the rear tire. I just hope 3D printing technology can capture this kind of detail.

Attached Files:

23. The Terminator

Whoa, that looks fantastic :eek definitely insane detail on it

24. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here's the thing.... I finished the rear tire, beautiful job, then I got sent this screen grab from T2. See attachment.

It's of the rear tire, and it's a completely different model of tire from the 402 which is also the right tire if you follow me as in, there was a version of the bike with a Dunlop 402 tire on it.

Me, I'm going with the one featured in this screen grab. It's a dunlop touring elite k291t rear mp85h18 tubeless.

I don't know whether to actually thank the friend who sent it to me and must have spent a few hours reviewing the film to find this shot. :)

Attached Files:

25. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here's the final version of the revamped rear tire. Screen accurate this time. All that remains now is to print them in 3D, then take a mould off the printed tire and recast them in some rubber compound.

Attached Files:

26. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Back again, after nearly two years of radio silence. Not that I haven't been busy. Here's the best version of the rear tire I could get 3D printed, through Shapeways. It's printed in FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail).
    Will post some more photos in a few days time. Note, I'm going to build the tire sidewalls myself. 20170820_130703.jpg

The Terminator likes this.
  27. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here are some build photos, with the emphasis on changes required to improve the accuracy of the Tamiya FLSTF kit. IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0079.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  28. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0105[1].jpg More photos. The license plate was a challenge. Managed to find the right font and after etching a piece of brass (having learnt how to photo-etch) I was able to punch the plate out of a piece of oven tray aluminium. The lettering on the license plate is one big decal, printed on white.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    tdb68 and The Terminator like this.
  29. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

30. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  31. EDGSW

EDGSW New Member

What a wonderful thread! Incredible attention to detail and fantastic to see how your skills have expanded and adapted to create new parts for the project!

Kiwimike likes this.
  32. The Terminator

Looking good! Though the photos in the last two posts don't work :(

The tire is looking great. I hope my reference photos will help :)
    I should have some photo updates of my 1:1 replica bike soon :D

33. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Look forward to seeing it.

34. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here are some shots of the saddle bags. I wanted to show the photo-etched Harley buckles before I hit them with primer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  35. The Terminator

The detailing is simply incredible!
    And you have the right buckles, which I still need to get :p

36. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Thanks. I note that the left saddlebag was modified to hold the shotgun.

37. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Front and rear tires primed.

By far the most challenging part of this entire build and the one key design feature that sets this build apart from other builds (which tend to use the tires that come with the Tamiya kit) . The tires and their tread were designed by me after I taught myself to learn Rhino modelling software, then 3D printed via Shapeways in New York, using Frosted Ultra Detail.

Basically there are three parts to each tire, one complete outer ring and two sidewalls. Note the tire rims are from the Tamiya kit and weren't 3D printed. In order to get a very snug fit with the rims, I cut the sidewalls with a razor saw and slotted them into the rims, then repaired the area where I sawed through the sidewalls.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  38. The Terminator

I do have a full size Fatboy, but this is making me want a 1/6 scaled one as well :p :lol

Kiwimike likes this.
  39. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

A bit more progress. I replaced the rear disc brake with one fashioned out of aluminium sheet, which I then painted with Alclad Stainless Steel to get the right metallic finish

Attached Files:

40. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

do not forget to install the 768 speed transmission. give or take a few gears :p

Kiwimike likes this.
  41. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here are the finished disc brakes. I'm showing the rear disc brake again because it now has a different, lighter finish than before. I found Alclad Stainless Steel made it too dark.

In order to get the pattern of eight openings in the front disc brake completed to a high level of detail/finish, I created a pattern which I used to produce a photo-etching mask. I then did a very deep etching, not all the way through the 1.2mm aluminium sheet but enough so that I had good accurate set of shapes which I could then finish off by drilling out and filing.
    20180304_140627.jpg

42. The Terminator

An insane amount of attention to detail, to say the least :D

Kiwimike likes this.
  43. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Here's the fuel cross-over line, noting that I'm only posting those aspects of the build that either don't come with the kit or aren't accurate. This item doesn't come with the kit.
    20180304_152649.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  44. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

A new front brake cable and mount. The one that came with the kit was just a single length of tubing. 20180326_141447.jpg

45. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Added a couple of round-head rivets to the rear fender. Tamiya primer sanded up in preparation for a top coat. Still thinking about how I'm going to approach the pin-striping.

20180327_163020.jpg

46. The Terminator

That will be a pain in the rear for sure!

47. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Finally got some more stuff completed.

I basically had to trash the exhaust system I'd originally built as I hadn't properly factored in the exhaust shields. This meant building a vacuform machine, re etching the SUPERTRAPP exhaust covers, taking a casting off the exhaust system so I could then fashion the exhaust shields for vacuforming, and making new exhaust cones. Here's the end result primed, which will need a sand and polish before I base coat with gloss black and chrome it.

Attached Files:

48. The Terminator

The heat shields don't match the 1:1 scaled real-world ones. Let me know if you like some more reference photos :)
    The mufflers look fantastic :D

49. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

I'd appreciate any shots you have of the heat shields.Thank you. I based it on the configuration in the attached photo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  50. Kiwimike

Kiwimike Member

Hey, while this isn't strictly related to my build I thought it might be of interest. The company is Australian and the metal poster set for famous movie bikes is what took my fancy. Very cool and available in a range of sizes.

https://displate.com/eddie/moto-legends