TeresaMRoberts's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry- "Katy Perry Peppermint Dress"

TeresaMRoberts

I created a mini replica of the Katy Perry Spinning Peppermint Dress. I saw many other attempts and how they added the sparkles ect. but NONE that actually spun and used motors with a battery pack. This was my first attempt at mixing sewing with electrical work and it was a lot of fun. I've very proud and will be attempting more things like this in the future. (may a build is in my future!) I had many challenges, at one point I started over. A lot of the things I had to order online and then had to re-order. My first motors were too fast but honestly I had no idea how many RPMs that I need. I started sewing strait stitches at the age of 2 and by my 7th grade year I was designing my own dresses. My mom showed me how to mix and match pattern pieces to get what I wanted. Early high school I was the costume mistress in drama program began making some of my own pattern pieces. I learn as much as I can like taking leather tooling classes, I now can custom digitize my own embroidery designs and recently learned how to screen print. I can now add minor electronic projects to my resume because of this costume :)

IMG_3032.JPGIMG_3033.JPGIMG_3040.JPGIMG_3043.JPGIMG_3048.JPG

Thanks to some Amazing help from DrewSmith007 on the electrical aspects. I am now ready to begin construction of the Katy Perry Peppermint dress. I will be placing this peppermints a little differently because it is for my 6 year old daughter :)

katy-perry-spinning-peppermint-bra_zps2f8d2b07.jpg

For the skirt I started with this pattern:

3836.jpg

The short poodle skirt but took it in a few inches so it wouldn't be AS Poofy. (they have this pattern in adult version too ;)) The pattern for the skirt calls for to pieces to be cut on the fold. Well I cut the front piece on the fold but for the back piece I wanted it install the red zipper in the back like Katy's dress. So I cut NOT on the fold to get two pieces and Added an inch to the fold line side for seam allowance to install the zipper.

For the Top of the dress I used the bodice to dress pattern I had laying around. I just altered the top of the pattern in a pretty shape and cutting off where the patter goes up to meet at shoulder seams. There is straps on her dress but I'll be adding them last and treating this like I'm making a strapless dress for the pattern.

I connect the bodice and skirt together to form the dress. I used white satin and Also used medium weight fusible interfacing for the outer shell of the dress. Katy's dress looks very stiff and holds form well so I though the interfacing would help with this. Also I cut out a lining layer for this dress. Not only does it help it look more professional and finished but in this case I NEED a lining layer to hide all the wiring. Another good thing about the interfacing makes it harder to see thought the white so it will also help to hiding wiring in case I can't get white.

So here is what the dress looks like so far:
photo4_zps3b2d4457.jpg

I am now ready to start making all of the peppermints and start wiring up the dress! My motor and batter back came in, I'm sooo excited! They are very light weight and small! I tested them, they all worked and i think they are PERFECT!!!!

photo5_zps6d974575.jpg

Attachments

• katy-perry-spinning-peppermint-bra_zps2f8d2b07.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • katy-perry-spinning-peppermint-bra_zps2f8d2b07.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 179
  • photo4_zps3b2d4457.jpg
    photo4_zps3b2d4457.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 219
  • photo4_zps3b2d4457.jpg
    photo4_zps3b2d4457.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 215
  • photo5_zps6d974575.jpg
    photo5_zps6d974575.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 216
  • photo5_zps6d974575.jpg
    photo5_zps6d974575.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Katy Perry - Peppermint Dress

Alright so the dress has these little fins on the hips, So I just made the shape I wanted on the some super thick interfacing that I have. I cut it out, sewed red satin on the bottom and white on the top. Then made a bias tape with red satin and edged the shape in them.

photo7_zps4d9f4631.jpg

I could have hand sewed them on where I wanted them but I also wasn't entirly happy the way the front of the skirt was laying... So this is what I decided to do. I first took the side pieces up to about where i wanted them on the dress. Marked the dress where i wanted. Then continued line on both ends the end of the skirt. Creating half circles. Cut this part of the sirt out. Then attached the fins to the the 1/2 circle I cut off where I had marked them. Then from the center front of the skirt still attached to the dress I removed some of this peice installing the 1/2 back in but closer to each other in the front. Tried to show you a little here.

dressedited_zpsf9e4aa84.jpg

This is how it turned out. Hard to get a good picture with it right now lol. But the bodice is like standing up on it own in this picture.

photo6_zps2e79587b.jpg

I've also started working on the peppermints. I zoomed and cropped a picture of katy's peppermint. Then printed several in different scales on to transparency sheets. 2 for each scale size.

photo8_zpsd5fc9105.jpg

Then took an exact-o knife and cut out one color on each sheet. So I have One stencil for purple, and one for red in ever size.

photo9_zps46c3a5bb.jpg

I've also cut out some different size circles in white foam board. This will only be used for the 3 peppermints I make spin on the outfit.

Next step is glitter!!!!

photo10_zps656d53e1.jpg

Got these jars of Glitter from Joann Fabrics. The colors look exactly like hers. I'm going to apply the iridescent or "crystal diamond" to the entire dress.
I then plan to spray the dress with clear plasti dip to prevent the glitter from shedding. :)... I'll let ya know how it goes!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372895498.113826.jpg

I taped off the little bit of red satin on the dress and used Elmer's spray adhesive, then applied glitter. I still have to apply the clear plasti dip spray. Unfortunately, that spray won't be in till Friday!!!!!

My peppermints dried and I did a spin test... The motors i have are too fast :(
After this I took the voltage from 4.5 to 3 but still not slow enough. So I'm now on the search for a slower motor! I'm so impatient! Lol I found one with 25 rpm and I think I'm going with that one unless anyone else has suggestions.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Starting over! Lol not completely but pretty close! I hated the way the glitter dryed clumpy and uneven. I got the idea of glitter and plasti spray over it fine someone else on the net. The Elmer's on fabric kinda sucks.

I found quilters basting spray works much better since its only made for fabric. I'm also glittering each piece individually. I had issues around the seams. Of corse my mom was like is anyone going to notice from stage and she maybe right. But it's my name on this work and I just wasn't happy with it like that! Lol hard to move forward if your not happy with it. Here is an individual peice sprayed with basting spray, then glittered, and finished with clear plasti dip spray. Much happier, pretty, even, no clumps! Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373059437.155794.jpg

Last edited:

Alright got all the new prices cut out, glittered, plasti dipped and assembled! Productive day for me! I love this one a whole lot better than the first. Lesson learned!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373078209.658451.jpg

Alrighty I got the dress wired, and the liner put in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373117305.238434.jpg

I also to the zipper in the back :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373117352.154882.jpg

However it has come to my attention that I am in need of some more red satin to finish the binding on the top and bottom of the dress. Looks like a trip to Joann's for me!

Just finished sewing all the binding on the dress and the straps. Tomorrow I attach the straps to the dress and start working on the under skirt!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373167795.154501.jpg
The motors should be here Monday! And I realized I forgot to get supplies to make her gloves. Gerrrr another trip to Joann's.

Attached straps , had my daughter take a pick in it. Still need to make petticoat and add peppermints. Need to get supplies to make her gloves too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373205111.721462.jpg

Also working on her microphone. Got a cheap plastic mic I think it's a party favor. Then got 2000 3mm red and clear acrylic crystal to put on it just like hers. Took a peice of scotch tape around it as a guide for the red crystals. Using E6000 glue and tweezers to put the stones on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373205460.939053.jpg

This is going to take me forever!

Last edited:

I don't have much to say, or advice to give. Just saying that it's nice to see a traditional costume on here (yeah, KP's dress, a traditional costume... what is the world coming to lol), and not a 'build'. Good luck with this :)

-The Armorer

Thanks for the comments everyone :) I know my KP costume kinda sticks out like a soar thumb with all the iron man builds, batman, and other superheroes and villains. (Which I still enjoy reading because there so many ideas and hard work that goes into them!

I finished the petticoat this morning right before I left for work:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373305085.587241.jpg

I made a pageant dress last month from white and pink sparkle organza. I already had pink organza and found some really cheap organza fabric pnline at eBay store so I got 7 yards. When I got it I wouldn't say cheap just completely different that the organza that I use. Looking at it was similar bit this was a lot stiffer, and for some reason it doesn't fray the way normal organza does. I ended up going and getting regular organza or the dress because I didn't want the two different colors to lay differently since this stuff was so stiff! But thought it would be perfect for the petticoat on this dress! Hers doesn't look like netting or anything but I wanted it to stick out and be fluffy/stiff like hers. I saw some other KP dresses online that people have made and the all use organza but the weight of the skirt just too much on the petticoat and it doesn't poof. It's like having a slip with a ruffle instead.

The fabric was 60" wide and I cut 10 4" strips for the bottom ruffle and 6 strips for the top ruffle. Then hand stitched it to the inside lining around the waist while I'm at work:) slow day! Hopefully my motors will be in when I get home!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373305861.623295.jpg

Construction is looking amazing! Quite a lovely, refreshing costume here on the boards! Thank you for sharing :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back