Tenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Replica Build

Sybernettik

Hi all, I am a new member of therpf. I have recently begun designing and building a David Tennant sonic screwdriver. this thread will serve as both a build log and a platform to see what others think. I have always wanted to build a fully accurate metal version of this sonic screwdriver, and I am excited to see how it will turn out.

To start, I designed the screwdriver using Fusion 360, and 3D printed the parts to see how well they would fit. A few iterations later, I used 3D hubs to machine some of the parts as a test to see whether 3D hubs was a good choice to get my screwdriver machined. Currently I have only had machined the head, neck and column. Now that I am happy with how they turned out, I will be ordering the rest of the parts too.

Feel free to let me know what you think, suggestions on how it could be improved would also be great! I may put the designs for the screwdriver online if I decide I am comfortable doing so.

Here is an image of the pieces I currently have.

Attachments

• Sonic.jpg
    Sonic.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 700
The parts have finally arrived! I've gotta say I'm really proud of how they've turned out. I'm almost tempted to not even paint this thing. I'm currently working on some electronics, and I've bought some crackle paint. So hopefully soon it should be done!

Attachments

• Sonic.jpeg
    Sonic.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 838
  • Sonic_Extended.jpeg
    Sonic_Extended.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 921
  • Sonic_Hand.jpeg
    Sonic_Hand.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Sonic_Hand_Extended.jpeg
    Sonic_Hand_Extended.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 863
  • Sonic_Parts.jpeg
    Sonic_Parts.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 780
That really is a thing of beauty. My daughter bought me a tenth Doctor light and sound replica for my birthday last year, and I haven't dared ask her how much she paid for it! You're definitely right about the bare metal looking cool, though! Amazing job.

That really is a thing of beauty. My daughter bought me a tenth Doctor light and sound replica for my birthday last year, and I haven't dared ask her how much she paid for it! You're definitely right about the bare metal looking cool, though! Amazing job.

Aw, that's awesome! You have a wonderful daughter. I really appreciate the support :D

How much power do you need? Some of my older sonics use 12V AG23 batteries.
I need around 5V. The diameter that the batteries can fit in is 9.5mm. So not a lot of room. I may have to redesign the electronics so I can fit something like the one you describe. I do have some leeway, I reckon I could increase the diameter to about 11.5mm.

Aha! It seems I could use an A27 battery and then half the voltage. I will try that out and see what happens. Thanks for the link! I don't know why I didn't look for something like that in the first place.

I'm glad I could help. I've been collecting, designing, or collaborating on stuff like this since the 1980's. I'm in no way on par with many of the people here but I have a trick or two I can share when able. :)

Firstly, holy crap dude you’ve done amazing, bravo
Second, have you started selling them yet cos that might influence my next part
Third, I’m trying to build a body for the guts of my wand company and I was wondering how you made the slider cos that’s the only part I can’t figure out so far. Either your method or a link to somewhere I can figure it out would be great, either way thank you
Hi, thank you! Please PM me so we can talk about this :D

Just a reminder that this is a build thread and not an interest/run/sales thread... so please keep any discussion of selling/buying/price and availability out of this discussion. If the OP decides to start an interest/sales thread, he will post a link. Thanks. :)

Just a reminder that this is a build thread and not an interest/run/sales thread... so please keep any discussion of selling/buying/price and availability out of this discussion. If the OP decides to start an interest/sales thread, he will post a link. Thanks. :)

Thank you for your message. I will indeed keep the selling messages out of this thread and post a link when I start an interest thread :D

Finally revised this Sonic - new features include: More accurate ridges, slight modification on the emitter, better fitted teeth, more threaded parts, more headroom for electronics, and a new collar design

An image of the revised CAD model. I think that's as accurate as I can make it. Still a bit puzzled about how I will fit the electronics exactly but I will have to take some time to think about that

Attachments

• Revised Sonic.png
    Revised Sonic.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 346

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back