Telltale Batsuit

SuperVintendo64

Emerald City ComiCon is upon us next month and I'm hoping to debut my next Batman cosplay there, basing the design off of the new Telltale Batman game. I'm hoping to do foam armor/muscles covered in fabric and either sewn or glued to an undersuit. Was hoping to see if others out there had done something similar and how flexibility might be? This image has been a big help in crafting so far:
michael-broussard-char-batman-ortho-cape-reviseas.jpg
Fabric wise I'm thinking either a vinyl or nylon for the main body armor pieces? In-game they appear fairly textureless, while other pieces have a little more to them. For example the biceps seem to have more detail to them if you look closely at this image:
3152129-5.jpg
For this, I've found a hexagonal-patterned fabric. It only came in black but a few coats of gun metal plasti-dip have it looking the right color (excuse the coffee grounds on my hand. Gotta keep going somehow. ;)) :
16506813_10208841871984257_147352698_n.jpg
Found a 4-way stretch pleather for the cape, but am open to suggestions on how to do that design on the top of it (Seen in the bottom center of the first image). One of my favorite features of the suit and I wanna make sure I include it! :) As for the cowl, I finally broke down and ordered one of coofunkcurly's beautiful Version 2 Arkham Origins cowls. Favorite cowl design by far and I think it will really work well with the suit. Would love to hear suggestions and what not from you folks out there. I'll keep you posted!

michael-broussard-char-batman-ortho-cape-reviseas.jpg

3152129-5.jpg

16506813_10208841871984257_147352698_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the muscles, I have found the following video particularly thorough and informative. As a disclaimer, I have never actually built one myself, but the method described here sounds simple enough (for a project of this magnitude) and the results look pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been super busy lately but finally had some time to work on this project! Today I pretty much messed around and made some prototypes. I wanted to get used to wrapping foam in fabric, so that was one of the main things I worked on. I cut out my foam bicep pieces and covered them with this cheap sports nylon fabric using contact cement. Didn't look too bad so I went ahead and attached it to a tight thermal shirt. Once again. Looks alright. I proceeded to cut out some general shapes of other parts of the torso to get a better feel for what it will look like. Finally, I cut a bat out of some pleather I had left over from my last project. If anyone else reading this has experience covering foam with fabric, let me know what kinds of materials and adhesives you're using. Would love to hear any feedback/advice. :)
a1.jpga2.jpga3.jpga4.jpg

I picked up that same fabric for my batsuit! Eager to see how flexible/stretchy it remains after plasti-dip. I was looking at liqui-tex paint too to make it gray. Great minds think alike!

Been super busy lately but finally had some time to work on this project! Today I pretty much messed around and made some prototypes. I wanted to get used to wrapping foam in fabric, so that was one of the main things I worked on. I cut out my foam bicep pieces and covered them with this cheap sports nylon fabric using contact cement. Didn't look too bad so I went ahead and attached it to a tight thermal shirt. Once again. Looks alright. I proceeded to cut out some general shapes of other parts of the torso to get a better feel for what it will look like. Finally, I cut a bat out of some pleather I had left over from my last project. If anyone else reading this has experience covering foam with fabric, let me know what kinds of materials and adhesives you're using. Would love to hear any feedback/advice. :)
View attachment 706908View attachment 706909View attachment 706910View attachment 706911
I like the look of the fabric you made the symbol out of. Hope to see your finished product at ECCC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ran into problems with my sewing machine but luckily I work with a seamstress! Got my cape done in time and all the finished armor pieces mounted for the con. I lost an ab and a gauntlet fin towards the end of the second day, but the costume was a huge hit! Can't wait to fix it up for next year. Here are some of my favorites from the con. This guy's Killer Croc was indeed KILLER.
3.jpg17121980_10202627037272823_821192845_o.jpg17121437_10202627037192821_1488394888_o.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Ran into problems with my sewing machine but luckily I work with a seamstress! Got my cape done in time and all the finished armor pieces mounted for the con. I lost an ab and a gauntlet fin towards the end of the second day, but the costume was a huge hit! Can't wait to fix it up for next year. Here are some of my favorites from the con. This guy's Killer Croc was indeed KILLER.
View attachment 712110View attachment 712111View attachment 712112View attachment 712108View attachment 712109
what about the hexagon fabric you mentioned ?

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

Got too swamped at work to finish all the pieces I had planned. I used some of the hex fabric to attach all of the chest pieces together onto one, so the texture was present in-between panels on my torso. When I work on upgrading the suit later this year I'll use the fabric for the bicep armor and a couple other spots as well. Also going to finish the gauntlets I was working on so they're accurate to the Telltale game and not the Origins ones. Still have a lot of things I want to do on this costume but I need a bat break before I go back to it. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back