Teecrooz’s Prop Collection - Update: Vader Bubble Strip.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by teecrooz, Oct 31, 2011.

1. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Teecrooz’s Prop Thread

This thread was initially about my Obi builds but has expanded. Now, the thread title has a weird glitch and can’t be changed without contacting a Mod. Now this is my general collection update thread, mainly Star Wars with other random updates as I feel like posting them.

Original post:

I've had various versions of Obi-Wan's lightsaber over the years. I started with an Icons, which I traded away quite some time ago.

After that, I purchased the MR. It is still one of my favorite pieces in my collection (I will have to take pictures of the whole collection some day once it's unpacked and displayed nicely again).

About five or six years ago, I purchased a set of parts from Roman's Empire. The multi-piece emitter, brass windvane, "weathered" anodized aluminum grenade, spacer, weathered aluminum booster, and chromed pommel were the most accurate I could afford at the time, and I had a great time putting this piece together.

Now, over the course of the past year I have been collecting Russ' parts. I have a steel emitter which I blued and then burnished with steel wool (just did this today, so I'm not sure if I'm done or how much more work I'll do on it at this point). For the grenade section, I soaked this inwater, buried it in the yard, removed most of the rust with steel wool, let it sit around for a bit, kicked it around the driveway, blued the steel, burnished it with steel wool and did some weathering with a ball peen hammer. The brass was soaked in "Easy Off" oven cleaner and rubbed with steel wool until I was happy with the finish. I just started on the clamp today. I've drilled some holes and added one of Phillip's bubble strips, but there is still plenty of work left to do until I'm happy with it. The booster is one of Russ' anodized aluminum pieces. I've knocked it around a bit to remove some of the black and add a few dents, but it probably could use some more work. The tap has made it through unharmed up until now. The entire piece is held together by one of simplyprops adapters.

From top to bottom: MR>Roman>Russ> Russ spare parts

I'm considering putting together a display that shows each part separately, along with a completed lightsaber, and having each of the parts identified from their original source.

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    ABE, ms80444, Edraven99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Re: My Obi-Wan Lightsaber build

I never tire of seeing an Obi-Wan ANH saber build. Really fanastic job teecrooz!

I really love what you did with the windvane, I'll hafto try it out on mine.
    How long did you leave it in the Oven Off?

3. teecrooz

Thanks! It's been a fun ride so far. The next step once I'm done with the Russ is an all real parts saber...

For the Easy Off (edited my first post because I realized I put the product name in wrong) I took the windvane apart and set it up on a stand outside. With gloves on, I completely covered all of the pieces. It foamed up and I just left it there for about two hours. I wasn't completely happy with the result (bubbles in the foam left some discolorations), so I grabbed some steel wool to even out the finish and then repeated the process. I washed it down with some water and then sprayed it a second time with the Easy Off and let it sit for another two hours. Rinsed with dish soap and water, and then depending on how bright I wanted the brass, I hit it with the steel wool again.

There are other products out there that are more safe to use, but they each bring out a slightly different brass tone. I've seen some come out green, some with blues and purples, and others that were black.

Edraven99 likes this.
  4. teecrooz

Update since Monday. I've drilled the holes in the clamp and added brass screws and some cotter pins. I'll try and get a picture or two up later.

The next step is weathering the clamp and the transistors.

Edraven99 likes this.
  5. teecrooz

Well, I took my first step toward a real parts Obi-Wan saber and purchased an Exactra 20. Next on the list is an Armitage Shanks handwheel. I'm just trying to negotiate a price!

Edraven99 likes this.
  6. teecrooz

Re: My Obi-Wan and Luke Lightsaber builds

In addition to my Obi-Wan builds, since I just bought an Exactra calculator I thought I should buy my first real Graflex to go with my reproductions and MR lightsabers.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Edraven99 likes this.
  7. Macjedi

Macjedi New Member

What an impressive collection. I'm looking for one and you have that many. I'm jealous. Hopefully I get to that many some day. Thanks for sharing.

8. redfive

redfive New Member

I love these Obi Wan! Building my own atm.

Cheers.

9. forcesensitive

forcesensitive Active Member

I would like to build ANH Obi Wan lightsaber someday :)

10. teecrooz

Thank you for all of the comments.

Just an update to show some of the weathering on the clamp.

DSC_0242.JPG

Edraven99 likes this.
  11. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice collection my friend, I just recently purchased my first greyflex, very exciting.

12. teecrooz

Just a quick update. I sold my RomansEmpire version back to Roman himself. With the money from that sale, I purchased a 50% real parts Tunisia version of the lightsaber from kurtyboy. I believe it was built by James Kenobi 1138. It has a real sink knob, booster, clamp, transistors, and calc bubbles. The grenade and balance pipe are replicas.

Edraven99 likes this.
  13. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The grenade on that saber is cast from a real grenade, more accurate then a machined one.

If I had the money I would have tried to buy that saber myself, I really liked it.

14. teecrooz

Awesome, thanks. Is it one of the brass castings that were available in the early 2000s? I wish I would have gotten one back then.

Edraven99 likes this.
  15. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stop talking about this saber, you're making me regret selling it and it went so cheap too! :cry

16. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

^Oh no ... quite clearly a case of 'seller's remorse' . . . then again keep your eyes on the target ahead, Marcus you'll feel much better.

:)

-Chaim

17. teecrooz

Alright. I finally got around to taking some new pictures. On top is my "in process" as first built by lightsaber. Much more work to do on that one. It's made from all Russ parts with a simplyprops adapter.

Second is my Chronicles version made from Russ parts. Since the last time I posted I think I've done some additional weathering, hooked cotter pins through the holes in the clamp and anchored them in the holes in the booster, and added the transistor decals (thanks Jeff!). I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the emitter how I want it...

Third is my MR Obi.

At the bottom is the Tunisia version discussed earlier. Made by James Kenobi 1138 with a real handwheel, real booster, real clamp, brass cast grenade, and a replica emitter. I have real calc bubbles also (still in the calculator). If this were every to leave my collection, James and Marcus would get first right of refusal.

The quest continues. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0273.JPG

ABE and Edraven99 like this.
  18. iamdrake

iamdrake Active Member

Great work, I am looking to get my second set of Russ parts.

19. Sirnfet

Sirnfet New Member

I love the Roman better because of the grips. But MR is just classic to me. I am looking for sellers for the MR collection. I have an FX Anakin sabre, but I am trying to get an entire collection of the jedi masters' sabres.

20. teecrooz

I did a little more work on the AFBB version last night. I took the russrep grenade at the top of my last picture and hit it with my dremel (wire brush). Buffed it again with some steel wool to get it nice and shiney. I heated it up with a heat gun and dipped it in a nice bath of gun blue. This was followed by a quick rinse, reheat, and then a longer dip in the gun blue. The grenade was rinsed clean once more and then oiled. The finished product was a nice, shiney, perfectly black grenade. I'll post an updated picture tonight if I get the chance to do so.

Edraven99 likes this.
  21. teecrooz

This weekend I polished the brass windvane.

I'm still trying to decide if I like the two=tone balance pipe or not.... I've seen original ones that are two toned, but I've also seen some that are not If I go the two tone route, do I oil the blackened parts, or leave them matte finish? Either way, I still need to fix the finish on the outside part of the balance pipe. I'm thinking about a small-medium or a sand blast would get the finish I'm after. Any thoughts?

DSC_0267.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

Edraven99 likes this.
  22. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Awesome. That's my favorite saber. I never get tired of seeing it, either. The only prop that I ALWAYS have the urge to buy/build even though I have one!:lol

I just machined a bronze grenade for my custom saber, and weathered it in the coals on my grill, then back and forth from water to coals. Overheating the bronze gave it the red rust color, then I hit it with a scotch brite, and back in the flames for blackening. :)

23. teecrooz

Rodann, I love your custom. One of these days I will build a saber that is of my own design.

Update on the status of my never-ending Obi-build: A vintage MK1 No. 3 grenade is on its way. My 50% real Obi will now be 75%! I'm not sure I want to take apart James' wonderful work to add the vintage grenade once it arrives.

I had a vintage balance pipe in the works, but the seller isn't sure if he wants to part with it quite yet.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    Edraven99 likes this.
  24. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Where do you find such a thing! (real grenade)

25. teecrooz

After 10 years on the rpf, some good friends made, and a decent budget put aside...

mk1.jpeg

Edraven99 likes this.
  26. thd9791

If I had a tophat, I would tip it. Nice work.

redbutton likes this.
  27. teecrooz

Thank you. I'm very excited about it.

I was soooo close to an authentic balance pipe in the same deal.

I also found a full derwent engine and would have to risk having the incorrect style. It's out of my price range at the moment...

Edraven99 likes this.
  28. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Nice score Chris!

A Derwent engine would include about 9 balance pipes/tubes = emitters if I'm not mistaken, yes?

I know that the correct emitter/balance tubes currently in hands of members and collectors were acquired by a joint venture in buying the engine together but as you stated correctly at the risk of finding the incorrect type of balance tubes inside, unless the owner would be willing to open the engine up beforehand, which usually is unlikely. Should you attempt to get a gang of members together to purchase said engine color me interested, okay?

On a sidenote part of the engine could be sold for an authentic IG-88 head or cantina set prop :lol

-Chaim

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  29. teecrooz

Thanks Chaim. I know you understand the quest I've undertaken. Only one part to go...

Another picture!

image.jpeg

Edraven99 likes this.
  30. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

[​IMG]

This was a grenade I decided not to buy last summer since it had the incorrect slightly flat edge on the first ring after the windvane and the paintjob was not believed to be original by the seller who, not unimportantly, asked too much in €'s at that moment. It was sold for far less in the end.

Meanwhile I'm still roaming about the net for a screen-accurate grenade ... and of course a correct balance tube.

-Chaim

31. thd9791

32. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That was not the wrong balance tube . . . however just the 'male' version of the correct part, which pieced together always consists of a so-called male/female configuration, savey? It's the female part we seek ...
    for our Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber :D

-Chaim

redbutton likes this.
  33. thd9791

ooh ho hoo :love

but that is so interesting i never knew, thank you!

I'm trying to picture how that inserted into the one we look for in the engine, from the back?

Reeallly reaallyy not trying to sound innuendos here hahaha

34. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would trade my pommel for something like a grenade or a balance tube,adding money.
    I don't need my pommel anymore,I reproduced the shape exactly,and finally decided to make a simple cap,with no marking,wohever I have castings of the caps whenever I change my mind...
    In fact,there are many differences between an original and all existing replicas.

What I fear is there would be some differences for other origial parts and replicas.
    I don't think so,because,unlike AS handwheel,that was cast,original booster,grenade and emitter were made by turning,and are easy to reproduce for a machinist.

The piece I would find as original,if I had one to choose is the grenade,especially the brass section.
    The other piece I would find is the emitternot necessary to keep it,but more to see the patina,and metal,to make the best replica as possible.

35. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

For those interested here's the thread containing the pictures of the 'male' emitter fixed onto an all real parts Obi-Wan ANH made by James Kenobi 1138 for Kurtyboy :

http://www.therpf.com/f9/obi-anh-all-real-parts-saber-pics-35014/

Here's where the balance tube-interconnectors are situated inside a Derwent Roll Royce Engine and if I'm not mistaken it seems the parts would be connected from the frontside to eachother, since you see a little of the back (where by means of a cone the emitter connects to the grenade on any Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber) sticking out see red arrow pointing inside :

[​IMG]

-Chaim

36. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Here's a close-up :

[​IMG]

-Chaim

37. thd9791

38. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

This is fascinating. This has to be one of the rarest and most obscure parts used in a prop, right? I could build 2 hero proton packs with the cost of one of those things. :O

39. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

@thd9791 : Oh okay . . . add a picture nest time, okay? . . . Face to face :lol

@Filandrius : Hmm, I don't know . . . what's the going rate for a protonpack nowadays? :lol

-Chaim

40. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

A hero proton pack with accurate greeblies and metal parts + gun can throw you back 2-3 Ks. Plus shipping of the parts and building the * thing, of course. ;)

41. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

To answer your previous question of it being the rarest and most obscure parts used, you must know that the propmakers had acquired a lot of military stuff from local junkyards; amongst them a complete Derwent Rolls Royce Jet engine hence the access to the balance tube connectors for the ANH lightsabers and also the use of many 'IG-88' heads in the cantina scene ... behind the bartender, before it became the head of the bounty hunter in ESB.

-Chaim

P.S. a Derwent Rolls Royce Jet Engine approximately will set you back 12K probably in GBP's for 9 emitters.

42. teecrooz

I just picked up the MK1 from the post office! I hope to have some updated pictures sometime soon.

Edraven99 likes this.
  43. teecrooz

And the updated picture..

DSC_0308.JPG

Edraven99 and redbutton like this.
  44. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow awesome grenade, Chris.

-Chaim

45. thd9791

So cool Chris, love the grenade

Tom

46. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I might be interest in this too, if the right engine were found and it was at the right price?

47. teecrooz

Edraven99 likes this.
  48. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Still in awe at that find... Looks incredible

49. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

VERY NICE CHRIS....I am full of envy right now ;)

Markus

50. teecrooz

Thanks guys. It's been a lot of fun.

The real question is, now what do I do? The answer is, finally make headway on assembling all of those R2-D2 parts sitting on shelves in my basement! The other answer is, figure out how to take pictures like Scott. My camera should be able to do it, which means the problem is me. :)

Markus, I just send you an email this morning.

Edraven99 likes this.