Teecrooz’s Prop Collection: Updated: 22nd of December, 2023

Re: My Obi-Wan and Luke Lightsaber builds

This weekend I polished the brass windvane.

I'm still trying to decide if I like the two=tone balance pipe or not.... I've seen original ones that are two toned, but I've also seen some that are not If I go the two tone route, do I oil the blackened parts, or leave them matte finish? Either way, I still need to fix the finish on the outside part of the balance pipe. I'm thinking about a small-medium or a sand blast would get the finish I'm after. Any thoughts?

DSC_0267.JPG

Last edited:

Awesome. That's my favorite saber. I never get tired of seeing it, either. The only prop that I ALWAYS have the urge to buy/build even though I have one!:lol

I just machined a bronze grenade for my custom saber, and weathered it in the coals on my grill, then back and forth from water to coals. Overheating the bronze gave it the red rust color, then I hit it with a scotch brite, and back in the flames for blackening. :)

Rodann, I love your custom. One of these days I will build a saber that is of my own design.

Update on the status of my never-ending Obi-build: A vintage MK1 No. 3 grenade is on its way. My 50% real Obi will now be 75%! I'm not sure I want to take apart James' wonderful work to add the vintage grenade once it arrives.

I had a vintage balance pipe in the works, but the seller isn't sure if he wants to part with it quite yet.

Last edited:

Thank you. I'm very excited about it.

I was soooo close to an authentic balance pipe in the same deal.

I also found a full derwent engine and would have to risk having the incorrect style. It's out of my price range at the moment...

Last edited:

Nice score Chris!

A Derwent engine would include about 9 balance pipes/tubes = emitters if I'm not mistaken, yes?

I know that the correct emitter/balance tubes currently in hands of members and collectors were acquired by a joint venture in buying the engine together but as you stated correctly at the risk of finding the incorrect type of balance tubes inside, unless the owner would be willing to open the engine up beforehand, which usually is unlikely. Should you attempt to get a gang of members together to purchase said engine color me interested, okay?

On a sidenote part of the engine could be sold for an authentic IG-88 head or cantina set prop :lol

-Chaim

Last edited:

Grenade01.jpg

This was a grenade I decided not to buy last summer since it had the incorrect slightly flat edge on the first ring after the windvane and the paintjob was not believed to be original by the seller who, not unimportantly, asked too much in €'s at that moment. It was sold for far less in the end.

Meanwhile I'm still roaming about the net for a screen-accurate grenade ... and of course a correct balance tube.

-Chaim

That was not the wrong balance tube . . . however just the 'male' version of the correct part, which pieced together always consists of a so-called male/female configuration, savey? It's the female part we seek ...
for our Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber :D

-Chaim

ooh ho hoo :love

but that is so interesting i never knew, thank you!

I'm trying to picture how that inserted into the one we look for in the engine, from the back?

Reeallly reaallyy not trying to sound innuendos here hahaha

I would trade my pommel for something like a grenade or a balance tube,adding money.
I don't need my pommel anymore,I reproduced the shape exactly,and finally decided to make a simple cap,with no marking,wohever I have castings of the caps whenever I change my mind...
In fact,there are many differences between an original and all existing replicas.

What I fear is there would be some differences for other origial parts and replicas.
I don't think so,because,unlike AS handwheel,that was cast,original booster,grenade and emitter were made by turning,and are easy to reproduce for a machinist.

The piece I would find as original,if I had one to choose is the grenade,especially the brass section.
The other piece I would find is the emitternot necessary to keep it,but more to see the patina,and metal,to make the best replica as possible.

For those interested here's the thread containing the pictures of the 'male' emitter fixed onto an all real parts Obi-Wan ANH made by James Kenobi 1138 for Kurtyboy :

http://www.therpf.com/f9/obi-anh-all-real-parts-saber-pics-35014/

Here's where the balance tube-interconnectors are situated inside a Derwent Roll Royce Engine and if I'm not mistaken it seems the parts would be connected from the frontside to eachother, since you see a little of the back (where by means of a cone the emitter connects to the grenade on any Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber) sticking out see red arrow pointing inside :

RRDerwent8B.jpg

-Chaim

This is fascinating. This has to be one of the rarest and most obscure parts used in a prop, right? I could build 2 hero proton packs with the cost of one of those things. :O

@thd9791 : Oh okay . . . add a picture nest time, okay? . . . Face to face :lol

@Filandrius : Hmm, I don't know . . . what's the going rate for a protonpack nowadays? :lol

-Chaim

A hero proton pack with accurate greeblies and metal parts + gun can throw you back 2-3 Ks. Plus shipping of the parts and building the damn thing, of course. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back