Teecrooz’s Prop Collection: Updated: 22nd of December, 2023

teecrooz

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Teecrooz’s Prop Thread

This thread was initially about my Obi builds but has expanded. Now this is my general collection update thread, mainly Star Wars with other random updates as I feel like posting them.

Original post:

I've had various versions of Obi-Wan's lightsaber over the years. I started with an Icons, which I traded away quite some time ago.

After that, I purchased the MR. It is still one of my favorite pieces in my collection (I will have to take pictures of the whole collection some day once it's unpacked and displayed nicely again).

About five or six years ago, I purchased a set of parts from Roman's Empire. The multi-piece emitter, brass windvane, "weathered" anodized aluminum grenade, spacer, weathered aluminum booster, and chromed pommel were the most accurate I could afford at the time, and I had a great time putting this piece together.

Now, over the course of the past year I have been collecting Russ' parts. I have a steel emitter which I blued and then burnished with steel wool (just did this today, so I'm not sure if I'm done or how much more work I'll do on it at this point). For the grenade section, I soaked this inwater, buried it in the yard, removed most of the rust with steel wool, let it sit around for a bit, kicked it around the driveway, blued the steel, burnished it with steel wool and did some weathering with a ball peen hammer. The brass was soaked in "Easy Off" oven cleaner and rubbed with steel wool until I was happy with the finish. I just started on the clamp today. I've drilled some holes and added one of Phillip's bubble strips, but there is still plenty of work left to do until I'm happy with it. The booster is one of Russ' anodized aluminum pieces. I've knocked it around a bit to remove some of the black and add a few dents, but it probably could use some more work. The tap has made it through unharmed up until now. The entire piece is held together by one of simplyprops adapters.

From top to bottom: MR>Roman>Russ> Russ spare parts

I'm considering putting together a display that shows each part separately, along with a completed lightsaber, and having each of the parts identified from their original source.

DSC_0183.JPG

Last edited:
Re: My Obi-Wan Lightsaber build

I never tire of seeing an Obi-Wan ANH saber build. Really fanastic job teecrooz!

I really love what you did with the windvane, I'll hafto try it out on mine.
How long did you leave it in the Oven Off?

Thanks! It's been a fun ride so far. The next step once I'm done with the Russ is an all real parts saber...

For the Easy Off (edited my first post because I realized I put the product name in wrong) I took the windvane apart and set it up on a stand outside. With gloves on, I completely covered all of the pieces. It foamed up and I just left it there for about two hours. I wasn't completely happy with the result (bubbles in the foam left some discolorations), so I grabbed some steel wool to even out the finish and then repeated the process. I washed it down with some water and then sprayed it a second time with the Easy Off and let it sit for another two hours. Rinsed with dish soap and water, and then depending on how bright I wanted the brass, I hit it with the steel wool again.

There are other products out there that are more safe to use, but they each bring out a slightly different brass tone. I've seen some come out green, some with blues and purples, and others that were black.

Update since Monday. I've drilled the holes in the clamp and added brass screws and some cotter pins. I'll try and get a picture or two up later.

The next step is weathering the clamp and the transistors.

Re: My Obi-Wan and Luke Lightsaber builds

In addition to my Obi-Wan builds, since I just bought an Exactra calculator I thought I should buy my first real Graflex to go with my reproductions and MR lightsabers.

Last edited:

What an impressive collection. I'm looking for one and you have that many. I'm jealous. Hopefully I get to that many some day. Thanks for sharing.

Nice collection my friend, I just recently purchased my first greyflex, very exciting.

Just a quick update. I sold my RomansEmpire version back to Roman himself. With the money from that sale, I purchased a 50% real parts Tunisia version of the lightsaber from kurtyboy. I believe it was built by James Kenobi 1138. It has a real sink knob, booster, clamp, transistors, and calc bubbles. The grenade and balance pipe are replicas.

The grenade on that saber is cast from a real grenade, more accurate then a machined one.

If I had the money I would have tried to buy that saber myself, I really liked it.

Stop talking about this saber, you're making me regret selling it and it went so cheap too! :cry

Awesome, thanks. Is it one of the brass castings that were available in the early 2000s? I wish I would have gotten one back then.

^Oh no ... quite clearly a case of 'seller's remorse' . . . then again keep your eyes on the target ahead, Marcus you'll feel much better.

:)

-Chaim

Alright. I finally got around to taking some new pictures. On top is my "in process" as first built by lightsaber. Much more work to do on that one. It's made from all Russ parts with a simplyprops adapter.

Second is my Chronicles version made from Russ parts. Since the last time I posted I think I've done some additional weathering, hooked cotter pins through the holes in the clamp and anchored them in the holes in the booster, and added the transistor decals (thanks Jeff!). I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the emitter how I want it...

Third is my MR Obi.

At the bottom is the Tunisia version discussed earlier. Made by James Kenobi 1138 with a real handwheel, real booster, real clamp, brass cast grenade, and a replica emitter. I have real calc bubbles also (still in the calculator). If this were ever to leave my collection, James and Marcus would get first right of refusal.

The quest continues. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0272.JPG

Last edited:

I love the Roman better because of the grips. But MR is just classic to me. I am looking for sellers for the MR collection. I have an FX Anakin sabre, but I am trying to get an entire collection of the jedi masters' sabres.

I did a little more work on the AFBB version last night. I took the russrep grenade at the top of my last picture and hit it with my dremel (wire brush). Buffed it again with some steel wool to get it nice and shiney. I heated it up with a heat gun and dipped it in a nice bath of gun blue. This was followed by a quick rinse, reheat, and then a longer dip in the gun blue. The grenade was rinsed clean once more and then oiled. The finished product was a nice, shiney, perfectly black grenade. I'll post an updated picture tonight if I get the chance to do so.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back