Team Fortress 2 Hitman's Heatmaker sniper rifle build

cecrops props

Now that I have arrived at the mold making stage of my Jakobs Pistol build (here), I have decided to start on a new project, the Hitman’s Heatmaker sniper rifle from Team Fortress 2.

This is one of the working drawings I have made. You will notice that I make my plan drawings with pen and ink and a drafting arm. It may seem old fashioned but I find that I can draw out a plan much quicker by hand than I can by computer. I also find it much easier to understand what I am doing when I can see the entire plan at once, instead of scrolling back and forth on a computer screen.

post HH 1.jpg

Cecrops Props: cecropsprops.com

Facebook: facebook.com/cecropsprops

Here’s the beginnings of the first part for my Heatmaker build. In the first photo, I have sawn to shape the glued up poplar block for the shoulder stock.

post HH 2.1.jpg

In the second photo, after lots of work with a spokeshave, chisels, rasps, and sanding, I have shaped it.

post HH 2.2.jpg

OK, I’m slowly making progress. At this point, I have filled and primed the stock, and masked off the area for the check cushion. I have then laid down a (relatively) even layer of Magi-Sculpt epoxy putty within the masked off area, smoothed it all down even, and marked a line that will be carved down to make the contoured edge.

post HH 3.jpg

The next step is the barrel. It is turned to dimension PVC pipe, with a cutout showing the wood core for the bolt. Three rings built up with epoxy putty have been turned to dimension on the lathe.
post HH 5.jpg

Now I’ve made the master for the rifle forestock, and you can see how the barrel fits onto it. On a normal rifle, the barrel sits down in, or is “let into” the forestock, but the designer of this rifle has decided that the barrel pretty much sits on top.
post HH 6.1.jpgpost HH 6.2.jpg

Here’s a nicely complicated part that fits between the stock and forestock, with an indent in the top to fit the barrel.

post HH 7.1.jpgpost HH 7.2.jpg

Looking good. I just finished up the Engineer's shotgun for my daughter, I'll have to see what I want to move onto next. Keep up the good work.

Wooo! I thought I was the only one still making tf2 props. Excellent work! My only gripe is the size, but everyone is different on their tf2 scale preferences.

Wooo! I thought I was the only one still making tf2 props. Excellent work! My only gripe is the size, but everyone is different on their tf2 scale preferences.

Ahh, if you are judging the size of my Heatmaker by my drafted plan, you are correct, it is way too small. But, that's not the build size. I draft my plans as large as I can on my drafting board, then scan them. After a lot of research using both screenshots from the game, and dimensions of actual weapons, I then re-size the scan in the computer, and print it out full scale on my large format printer. The actual build will be 35 inches long.

- - - Updated - - -

Next up for the Heatmaker, the silencer. It’s turned/tapered PVC pipe with turned acrylic ends.
post HH 8.jpg

Here is the big fat barrel of the scope for the Heatmaker. It’s also turned PVC pipe with turned acrylic ends.

post HH 8.2.jpg

This was a bit of fancy woodturning. It is the flared forward end of the scope for the Heatmaker.

post HH 9.1.jpgpost HH 9.2.jpg

I decided that I wanted actual clear “lenses” in the scope of the Heatmaker. I was planning to use either acrylic sheet circles, or cast acrylic lenses. I then discovered that I could buy glass lenses on ebay very inexpensively. As you can see, for the front scope lens, I have turned a recess in the holder, and machined a retaining ring that, when assembled, holds the lens in place. I made the dividing line on the front edge so that these two parts can be pre-painted before installing the lens, and it will still look good after assembly. This will be much easier that masking out the lens when painting the scope.

post HH 10.1.jpgpost HH 10.2.jpgpost HH 10.3.jpg

Here is the lens holder for the eye piece of the Heatmaker scope. Like the front lens holder, a separate ring holds the glass lens in place.

post HH 11.1.jpgpost HH 11.2.jpg

I am now starting on the brackets that hold the laser and the scope for the Heatmaker. I only need to make one of these for a mold.

post HH 12.1.jpg
The first photo is the part scribed on a block of acrylic in layout dye.

post HH 12.2.jpg
In the second photo I am milling out the center hole. I will then bandsaw out the outside of the bracket.

Using wood and old school drafting. You sir, are flippin awesome.

Thanks! Just using what I know.

- - - Updated - - -

I pretty much finished the scope/laser bracket for the Heatmaker. The ring on the top that surrounds the the scope barrel was lathe turned from acrylic and attached to the machined bottom half.

post 13.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back