TDK Scarecrow Fear Gas Question

apolifka

I'm putting together a Batman Begins/ Dark Knight Scarecrow costume as part of a group cosplay for D*Con this year and since the costume is largely a suit, I think adding a functional Fear Gas tube up the sleeve would really add to the wow factor of the costume. You can see Scarecrow use this weapon about 1 minute in to this video.

Scarecrow- Dark Knight Garage Scene- "Not my diagnosis" - YouTube

BBFT.jpg

So far the best thing I have found is this magician's smoke illusion but I'm worried the smoke won't have the same propelling force as in the film and will just flutter out from under my sleeve.

Pure Smoke by Jason Brumbalow | Ellusionist

Has anyone attempted something similar before and does anyone have advice for alternatives? My major concerns are that it be safe on a convention floor for myself and viewers, compact because it has to fit under a well-fitted suit, economically reasonable, and fit the part of a propelled vapor/ gas weapon. Thanks for any comments!

Regards,
Austin

just search the internet. im sure there's something similar out there (instructables.com, maybe?) if it was me i would just make some sort of hose that runs the length of my sleeve with a nozzle on one end that would spray the "fear toxin" and then have a trigger on the other end that you could squeeze. you could probably macguyver a cheap gas siphon from walmart into a workable contraption. good luck, hope this works!

Right now I'm looking at smoke generators for large model trains. They seem to be sold with wires exposed to be assembled so I could potentially run a switch to the other hand and turn it on and off, though I have no experience with electronics and I don't know if those generators get hot or not.

We made one. We actually glued a small plastic straw to a piece of plastic hose (you can use silicone, and an aquarium hose), then we pushed the small straw (think WD-40) into a compressed air can. Load talcum into the end of the hose, then hit the button on the air.
Give it a shot.

That's clever and a lot simpler than what I've been dreaming up! I'll try some tests with that. Trick is going to be how to hide the propellent can.

I would caution you against using talcum powder on the con floor, given the crowds at DCon. Some people would be extremely upset to have talcum powder get on their costumes. I find it can also be slippery on a tile floor.

Lynn

I'd think something like a bulb syringe or a bulb from a blood pressure cuff, attached to some aquarium tubing would give you a decent "poof" without it going everywhere.

I'm just hesitant to use any kind of propellant as that stuff can be flammable and you really don't want to suddenly turn into the human torch.

chris

Someone already suggested talcum powder and how that might upset a few people, so I'll suggest a stripped down can of some aerosol Febreeze or something (I don't think it's flammable). It might irritate the eyes but it'll leave the costume as fresh as the after-rain air.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a great solution to this. And wearing a charcoal suit while spraying talc all over the place would get messy quickly. Not to mention the already constantly shedding burlap mask.

Either way, I've decided to move on to other projects and not pursue this costume (do to issues with the cosplay group) but this thread could be helpful for others!

We made one years back for SDCC 08. We used an AXE body spray bullet that was rigged in a pvc tube hidden in the sleeve. Not only could you see it spray out, but it made crowds at SDCC smell a lot better.

We made one years back for SDCC 08. We used an AXE body spray bullet that was rigged in a pvc tube hidden in the sleeve. Not only could you see it spray out, but it made crowds at SDCC smell a lot better.

That sounds like a great idea. Here's the thing I was thinking about

Mist-er-comfort #2004Boat Bimini Kit water mister kit | eBay
which is a bit pricey...or something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-LED-Ultr...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c32c8474

How did you set this up exactly? Did you need to modify the Axe Bullet? How did you activate it?

I was thinking of using this for a party next month but I havent really done anything like this before.

Hey, in Arkham Asylum's scarecrow interview tapes, it implies that he poisoned his therapist by using his cologne, so yeah, AXE may be a very good option.

You guys make me want to genderbend Scarecrow. XD Not a bad thing by any means, but I've already got more projects than I know what to do with.

Though, I am interested in how this turns out!

I've been mulling over putting together a Scarecrow costume, also with a functional "fear toxin" dispenser. So far, the best and safest idea I've had for the phony toxin is nicotine-free E-Cig vapor. I'm lucky enough to have made the acquaintance of a guy who used to run a magic shop; he suggested compressed air for the propellant to blow the vapor out, activated by a momentary switch and relay set-up on the back of the wrist (he says this is how the BB team constructed the electronics for that rig). For power, just use a vaporizer battery; I'd imagine the whole thing could be set into a wearable rig hidden just inside the sleeve of a common suit jacket.

Now, what would really up the wow factor for me is to wire this gimmick up so that, once I put on the Scarecrow mask, activating the dispenser also activates a voice changer hidden inside the mask! Imagine spritzing someone at a Halloween party who's either had one too many or already tripping on something!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back