TARDIS fragment from Doctor Who

Kobeque

Hello!

I just got finished watching the first season of the 11th Doctor, and this prop stuck out to me as something cool and achievable that I could turn into a one day build. So here it is, my version of the TARDIS door fragment as seen in S5E9 "Cold Blood".

IMG_2132.JPG

This is the finished piece, down below I've gone through my process and included some more finished pics at the end. Enjoy!

I wasn't going for exact accuracy, so I used just one screenshot from the show as reference. I scaled my piece using matt smiths thumbnail as a reference point, it seemed similar in size to mine.

Piece_of_the_TARDIS_from_the_Time_Crack..jpg

I cut the sign plate from a piece of 6mm acrylic sheet, and I used some scrap wood for the frame part.
IMG_2116.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG

I wanted the grain of the wood to show through, so I burned the wooden pieces on my barbeque and then used a wire brush to remove the charcoal, leaving the hardwood grain remaining.
IMG_2114.JPG

Next I 3D printed my letters at the correct size, and found out that I had cut my acrylic too small. That didn't really bother me, the prop is still recognisable without all of the letters exactly right.
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG

After a paint job and a clear sealer, this prop was done! Here are some detail shots that give a better look of the paint and weathering.
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back