tape question - I need a flexible sticky substrate for foam

Lodril

For my current project, I've got several pieces of foam that need to sit adjacent to one another, but retain some degree of inter-piece flexion. Backing them with more foam would make them too stiff, so I was thinking the best method would be to have a fabric-like substrate which they could adhere to. I could, of course, just take fabric and glue, and maybe that's the best option, but I'm wondering if there's already a product on the market sufficient to the purpose.

The pieces themselves only need to be able to fold along a single axis, so just taping them together along that axis would work, but I'm not confident in the adhesion. I've not really experimented with duct-tape and foam yet, but usually heat and moisture from the body wreak havoc with the glue, leaving you with useless crumpled up un-adhesive tape and a black grunge over everything.

Is there a better product or methodology for this sort of use with foam?

I used Gorilla tape, Gorilla Glue's version of duct tape on a display board for my sons science project. The board is 1/4 plywood. He has used it two years in a row and it is still together. Extreamly tacky. Just a thought.

If I'm understanding you properly.... 3mm foamies used as your hinge material can work. Hot glued in place under tension, Foamies can be folded like a hinge a lot before they will start breaking down on you, and if glued on the correct side you will get a clean fold with practically no gap when collapsed.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back