Tamiya white primer - excessively glossy

3Dsf

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've been using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, white, very effectively as a paint. In fact I did a small model for a museum exhibition, and the primer's finish was absolutely perfect. The primer has a finish somewhere around eggshell - it's not quite matte. And it's a pure white.

However, I bought another can recently. Same product number on the rattlecan, though different production code on the base. And it's a semigloss finish! Argh. Seriously useless for me, as it doesn't match the paintwork I've done with the previous primer cans.

Anyone else seen this? I've never seen primer be anything than near-matte...

Interesting... I never really use rattle cans so my chance of running into this kind of situation is non-existent. Sounds like someone messed up the batch.

Well, lots of people who prime use rattlecans, even if they then use airbrushes or whatever. And I suppose if you paint over top of the primer you wouldn't really notice the difference in reflectivity. But I'd think it would affect paint absorbency and so on, so it could be a problem even if your primer layer isn't visible at the end.

I have noticed when using Army Painter Black primers, that sometimes my primed stuff looks a bit glossy, other times, more matte, even with the same rattle can, just primed at different times

Variables are how well mixed it might be, vs how humid it is vs how much paint goes on etc...

Hm. I don't think the conditions were the cause here. Both cans were stored under the same conditions, and used within moments.

So has anyone else seen this? Is your primer semi-matte or semi-gloss?

Sorry, I can't help... The only primer I use is Mr. Finisher 1500 Black... But I will be using their white 1500 finisher soon, too. All from an airbrush.

I haven't seen it either.

I prefer Krylon grey primer. Goes on matte like a dream and is dirt cheap, compared to model oriented stuff.

The only time I had this experiance was when I realized I was holding the can too close to the object. It made a smoother and shinier coat. But pulling back a bit created a flatter finish.
Other than that, its probably an inconsistency at the factory when canning the stuff. But I would thinkTamiya should be above any type of screw ups like that.

Okay - I've gone back to repaint something, and I've got the same problem with the awful glossy Tamiya fine white primer.

These are, I'll be the first to admit, the crappiest photos ever. But look how runny and glossy A and B are, just from spraying a few blasts onto a piece of orange cardboard. By comparison C, which is the wonderful satin-smooth Tamiya white, looks magnificent!

Same product code. Different manufacturing stamps on the underside of course.

Nobody else has experienced this?

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 135
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 135
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 132
I would try and contact tamiya - tell them the manufacturing codes and maybe they can be of any help. Looks to me like a bad batch.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back