Tallis - Dragon Age: Redemption - Complete!

Re: Tallis - Dragon Age: Redemption - BioWare Contest

Congratulations on being one of the winners! Your photoshoot is just lovely and definitely shows off your hard work to a tee :)

Fantastic build!!! I'm really intrigued about the heat burner technique. I just bought one for Halloween artificial pumpkins, and am looking forward to what I can use it on for costuming.

Any advice on where to get started?

I really am blown away by your pattern skills as well. EXCELLENT!

Hey Congrats on being one of the winners!! The costume looks great! My best friend was the head concept artist for the first Dragon Age game, he'll be thrilled to see these picks... I'll have to send him a link!

Fantastic build!!! I'm really intrigued about the heat burner technique. I just bought one for Halloween artificial pumpkins, and am looking forward to what I can use it on for costuming.

Any advice on where to get started?

I really am blown away by your pattern skills as well. EXCELLENT!

thanks! i plan on doing a tutorial on burning foam sometime soon - i'm pretty busy at the moment, but i'll get it done asap!

quick tip, though - i used 3 different tips - one chisel tip (for the shoulder and thigh pad detailing), a round tip (for pretty much everything else) and a soldering tip to add some texture to the parts i didn't burn. you won't really get a super smooth finish (at least in my experience) on the parts you burn unless it's just a straight line done with the ball tip. variations in heat and tip will change the finish, though. chisel tip? rather rough (which is what i wanted).

Hey Congrats on being one of the winners!! The costume looks great! My best friend was the head concept artist for the first Dragon Age game, he'll be thrilled to see these picks... I'll have to send him a link!

sweet, i'd love to see what he has to say about it! and thanks. :D just last night i did a video chat with felicia and greg aronowitz and asked greg about the abilities to take design liberties in a world that's so fleshed out already - he said it was a relief not being a concept artist on top of being co-producer, set designer, prop designer costume designer and general visual badass. and of course i showed off my bodice to them too, as my tribute to their awesome work. XD

My buddy moved on to a different company last year (now concepting Dead Rising 3), but I can see his influence on the character in SOOOO many ways. I'll send him a link and see what he says.

One of my other buddies, Steve (on my hockey team) is the current concept artist on Dragon's Age... I've never played the game, but have heard nothing but good things about it (more of a Mass Effect guy)

I stand corrected, my Best friend did NOT design this character, even though it has all the trademarks of one of his designs (hot spritely girl with red hair and armour) Oh well. Maybe Steve designed her.

Thought it would be neat to show him the costume realized (if he was the designer) Oh well.

quick tip, though - i used 3 different tips - one chisel tip (for the shoulder and thigh pad detailing), a round tip (for pretty much everything else) and a soldering tip to add some texture to the parts i didn't burn. you won't really get a super smooth finish (at least in my experience) on the parts you burn unless it's just a straight line done with the ball tip. variations in heat and tip will change the finish, though. chisel tip? rather rough (which is what i wanted).

If you like, I can post a quick set of images about how to get really nice edges in foam. It requires a dremel and an Olfa utility knife. I figured it out for my Halo ODST chest piece for my Halloween costume this year. I would like your permission before I go posting images in your thread. :)

Wow, this turned out great. I bet Greg really liked it. Its pretty close to our original for a fan made costume.

Ok, I have to know this. Did you purchase your ears, and if so, where? Ever since I started watching the episodes I've been looking for a set for the missus costume.

If you like, I can post a quick set of images about how to get really nice edges in foam. It requires a dremel and an Olfa utility knife. I figured it out for my Halo ODST chest piece for my Halloween costume this year. I would like your permission before I go posting images in your thread. :)

I'd love to see your technique - post away!

Wow, this turned out great. I bet Greg really liked it. Its pretty close to our original for a fan made costume.

Thanks! My technique is completely different, but it was the only way i could come up with with the resources i had that would produce a similar effect! He actually retweeted the link i sent him - he was impressed!

Ok, I have to know this. Did you purchase your ears, and if so, where? Ever since I started watching the episodes I've been looking for a set for the missus costume.

Aradani studios - Large Elf Ears

they're the best ones i could find that have the general shape and size needed. Hers were custom made, so unfortunately we can't get them. :( I go the pro kit - painted ears, spirit gum, makeup and cuffs. If you do it right and blend it in well (and maybe add a little liquid latex) you can't tell that they're fake until you touch them!

I'd love to see your technique - post away!

Alright, what you need is an Olfa utility knife and a dremel with a cylindrical cutter and either the router attachment or the 565 multipurpose cutting kit. I am using the Olfa L-1 Heavy Duty cutter and the 565 kit on my dremel. The Olfa is the first utility knife I have seen that lets you set the blade to any depth you want which is important since you may not want really deep details.

odst24.jpg

Set the blade to the depth of the detail you are adding and then cut your lines. In this set of images, it is pretty simple straight lines but I do not see why it would not work with curves too. You can see in the last picture a more complicated series of cuts to make different shaped details. This is 1/2" foam. It is okay if your cuts are deeper than your final depth but you want to get them close.

odst25.jpg

Then you set the dremel attachment to the depth you want the detail to be. Run the dremel near one side of the detail or the other. You do not want to touch the walls, of course. You do not have to be particularly straight either, just keep it near one edge or the other for narrow channels like this.

odst26.jpg

Spin the part around and favor the same side again. In a narrow channel like this, it will rip the foam out for you. There should be very little clean up.

odst27.jpg

I included this picture just to show what can happen if you remove/insert the dremel while it is still spinning. If you look on the left hand side, at the first turn, you can see the circular cut where I knocked the corner with the dremel while trying to extract it or put it back in while the dremel was running. If you are going to remove the dremel to turn the piece, turn it off and wait for it to stop spinning before you lift it out. Turn the dremel on after you have put it back in if you have removed it.

odst23.jpg

You can almost see my progression when I was working out the way to do this. The far right was my first attempt, where I think I tried using a ball end. I switched to a cylinder halfway through the far left and then you can see in the middle that it is a lot cleaner. You may notice the faint cuts at the bottom where I was not paying attention to what it should look like and cut all the way across with the utility knife. Oops.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back