Tali'Zorah vas Normandy and Liara T'Soni - it's going to be a process

twicedefined

To begin, I wrapped my entire body in duct tape.

No, wait, let me go back.

Recently, a friend and I both decided we needed to take on brand new cosplay projects. Something more challenging than we'd ever done before. She had just started a Mass Effect playthough, and after very little debate, we decided on Liara and Tali.

If you are unfamiliar with the game(s), this is Tali:
tali_ref.jpg

So, as I mentioned, duct tape. I want to sew Tali's bodysuit with as few extraneous seams as possible. This will require some rather... creatively shaped pattern pieces. I grabbed a cheap turtle-neck at Goodwill and an old pair of leggings, and covered them, while on my body, in duct tape. I sketched out with sharpie where the seams between the black and the hexagonal fabrics should be (as well as adding seams down the legs, and two near my hips that will be covered by the wrap) and cut the fabric and tape back off myself along the sharpied lines. Tah-dah! Pattern pieces. I got some plain black spandex on sale at Joann's and put together a mock-up/proof-of-concept. I tried to take a picture, but it just looks like a plain black bodysuit on camera. Point is: concept proven. So I've got custom print spandex in the hexagon pattern on its way to me. This is the pattern I came up with to be printed:
hex_pattern.jpg
It's sort of a blend of what it looks like in-game vs. in the model viewer. I hope it turns out all right!

While waiting for my fabric, I got started on the helmet. I used Dung0beetle's pep, unfolded by SilversawJack, which I found in the mass effect pepakura archive thread. I finished the helmet (sans-visor) this evening! And here it is:
2013-12-16 01.07.jpg
It has one slightly wonky bit at the top of the curve that I think I can fix pretty easily by taping a small weight to the inside while I let the resin cure. Fingers crossed on that one. Either way, I'm sure I'll poke and prod it into shape somehow. The only thing that really has me stumped so far is the visor. I've seen people vacuum forming them, but I have neither the tools nor the knowledge required for that.

So yeah. That's all I've got so far. I'm hoping to have everything finished by March, for ECCC 2014. My Liara and I have decided that if we pull these off well enough at Emerald City, we'll reward ourselves by taking them to DragonCon!

EDIT: My Liara wants to share this thread so I changed the title to include her!

Last edited:
Re: Tali'Zorah nar Rayya - it's going to be a process

Best of luck with this! Be sure to keep updating this post so we can follow your progress!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back