table top epoxy in a silicone mold?

Quail Chick

Hello,

I am making Mass Effect 2 data pads and had a question about casting materials. I would like the data pad to be cast in something clear, the screen is a clear orange - and I have a bunch of clear table-top epoxy [~2 gallons left over from a huge Monster hunter project]. It's the same stuff as in those two-part epoxy syringes, the cure time is long, several hours, and it gets very very hot, hotter than the usual white resin I've used. After curing it is beautifully clear, with minimal bubbles - think about those restaurant tables with that thick slippery plastic coating on top.

Can I use the epoxy in a silicone mold?

Clear casting resin seems to be very expensive, if I can use what I already have laying around that would be fantastic!

Data pad ref:
me2-dlc_11.jpg

I haven't used it yet so I don't know how well it works but I recently picked up clear casting resin at the local Hobby Lobby for about twenty bucks. Keeping in mind, you get what you pay for.

if your only doing a couple it should be ok, that stuff will cook the mould though making it weaken and break down pretty quick

If by the syringe stuff you mean the stuff advertised as über-strong glue, then yeh that works in a mould fine. I would highly recommend a mould release even with the silicone as the heat can make it stick :)

I think your making more trouble trying to use old materials up then your realizing. At first glance, based on that picture alone your much better off doing a master of the front and rear computer based on a sheet of acrylic for the screen. That way you can mold the two halves separate as open face molds, dremel out some material so the plexi fits and screw the two halves together, done.

If you want to take it a step further install some lighting below the acrylic so it will shoot up and light the panel. If you do it with orange colored LED's, double bonus. Its all small enough to fit inside that thing, again, at first glance based solely off that picture.

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking about installing LED's but the thing is so thin (1/4") I couldn't figure out how to fit a mechanism inside. I was just going to tint the screen and rely on creative photography.

if your only doing a couple it should be ok, that stuff will cook the mould though making it weaken and break down pretty quick

Epoxy will degrade silicone a LOT faster than urethane or polyester resin. Be advised.

1/4" is enough room for LED's. They dont have to be the standard size were all used to seeing. You can use SMD LED's or mini LED's. Check out ebay or google it. They hook up the same just as with any other schematic for LED's.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back