T. rex Half-Skull painted ... My Jurassic Park "museum" begins....

artbypaul

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a lifesize half-skull cast I recently painted. I'm putting together a "Jurassic Park" museum of sorts in my home office. I'm just getting started and will be adding memorabilia and props from the films.

Dino5.jpg

Here are pics of the rest of my dino collection...

dino2.jpg

DINO1.jpg

dino4.jpg

dino3.jpg

Paul

awesome! my 5y/o son wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up.
I bury cow bones in our back ditch for him to dig up :)

those full size skulls are very very cool (where did you source them, or did you build them?) and love the office.

awesome! my 5y/o son wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up.
I bury cow bones in our back ditch for him to dig up :)

those full size skulls are very very cool (where did you source them, or did you build them?) and love the office.

Your son sounds like he has a bright future, and you're a great dad for encouraging him! :)

I purchased my fossils and fossil cast skulls from Taylor Made Fossils. They supply museums, universities and private collectors. The T. rex skulls are huge and weigh several hundred pounds each... Very cool to own, I just wish I had more space! :)

where did you get the replica skeletons at? great dino collection if i could i would have the same thing:thumbsup

where did you get the replica skeletons at? great dino collection if i could i would have the same thing:thumbsup

The Tyrannosaurus 1:10 and 1:18 scale models were made by GeoSafari and GeoWorld. They are marketed at children, but both are very detailed and with my own paint work, they look pretty nice alongside my fossils and casts. :)

James- You're welcome! Scott, the owner of Taylor Made Fossils is a great guy to deal with! :)

Go Flight- Thanks! Yeah, after I got my first 1:1 skull, I knew I had to have another... I dream of owning several more as I love looking at the variations between the different specimens. :)

Awesome collection, Paul! :thumbsup :thumbsup I love dinos & JP movies, especially the Triceratops! (why only the horn?)

Are these only for your own views, or prolly open for public?

The Tyrannosaurus 1:10 and 1:18 scale models were made by GeoSafari and GeoWorld. They are marketed at children, but both are very detailed and with my own paint work, they look pretty nice alongside my fossils and casts. :)

James- You're welcome! Scott, the owner of Taylor Made Fossils is a great guy to deal with! :)

Go Flight- Thanks! Yeah, after I got my first 1:1 skull, I knew I had to have another... I dream of owning several more as I love looking at the variations between the different specimens. :)

Huge thanks Paul ! I just ordered the 4' T Rex skeleton from imaginetoys for an upcoming father and son project. Also ordered a v.cool T Rex vinyl wall decal that's 6'+ ($10!) that will help when we revamp his bedroom this Spring (going w/an adventure, dino look).

Would you mind listing what materials, technique you used for the dark bronzed look on yours?

Once again, thank you.

Awesome collection, Paul! :thumbsup :thumbsup I love dinos & JP movies, especially the Triceratops! (why only the horn?)

Are these only for your own views, or prolly open for public?

Thanks! My collection is mainly for my enjoyment, but plenty of friends and family come by to visit the dinos! :)

Huge thanks Paul ! I just ordered the 4' T Rex skeleton from imaginetoys for an upcoming father and son project. Also ordered a v.cool T Rex vinyl wall decal that's 6'+ ($10!) that will help when we revamp his bedroom this Spring (going w/an adventure, dino look).

Would you mind listing what materials, technique you used for the dark bronzed look on yours?

Once again, thank you.

Leon- I simply used acrylic paints (umber, nutmeg brown and black) starting with the lightest nutmeg, letting that dry, then applying light washes of umber brown and black into the grooves and cracks to give it that antiqued museum look. I then sprayed a crystal clear acrylic lacquer to protect the finished pieces. :)

ONEYE- THANKS! :)

You sir have a great eye for dinosaur stuff. It is an amazing collection that anyone would be proud to have. Thanks for sharing the pictures of it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back