Sweeney Todd Before New Years (Now With Blood!!!!)

Jodo

Master Member
Alright, a bit of back story to go along with this...I was recently invited to a New Years Eve party by a girl who goes to my church, the only (and best) kicker, is that it is a costume party. This particular girl loves Sweeney Todd, and asked me if I could dress up as him. I said I would, but I didn't have the costume. :lol

Now, I've considered this costume for a while, so I wasn't..not...prepared. I dug out the pinstripe pants I had purchased about 2 years ago, that were a "just in case purchase". I even had several ref. photos saved. I also started looking around for leather gloves to cut the fingers out of. I wasn't able to locate any, however I found some nice wool looking ones at Khols for $11, so I picked them up. I also hit up Goodwill, and found a worn leather belt for $1. I'm going to use my usual black dress shoes I already own.

I posted a thread about Sweeney a few weeks ago, and then recently Spirderfan11 PM'ed about purchasing his shirt, vest, and scarf. I jumped at the chance, and received it yesterday. (Thanks again mate!) Because I'm compulsive, I tossed it all on yesterday to see what it would look like. :

sweeney.jpg

Shortly there after, I started weathering the shirt and vest. I put the shirt in a brief tea bath, and I also started trying to put the "lighter" spots on the vest. BUT...I've ran into an issue. I don't know what else to do, to give the vest a more dramatic worn look and to vary the colors of weathering more.

Right now I'm just using some makeup, and then some sandpaper. Are there any other techniques anyone would recommend I use that could be done over the next two days?

Edit: I forgot to mention, I am also going to do blood splatter on the sleeves of the shirt, which I'm about to start on here in just a moment. :love

Last edited:
Re: Sweeney Todd Before New Years (Almost Done!..Also, a Weathering Question)

Well, I decided to weather my vest instead of my shirt, as someone seems to have taken my paints,etc I was going to use. :unsure

However, the vest is now done either way. I found a few other colors of makeup, and although you can't really tell in the pictures, there around like 4 colors used in total. I wasn't quite for sure how to go about weathering the back, so I sort of winged it. I couldn't locate any ref. photo's to go by for that part...

394150_297195070317437_100000808395871_747651_2002841292_n.jpg

405040_297195003650777_100000808395871_747650_1971558948_n.jpg

For the "white spots" on the vest, some shaving cream could have worked, but that would have been perhaps to literally...

Looks great :thumbsup

Love this costume. Not as over-the-top as some of Burton's other recent work. I had a vest from Sithcamaro but that situation became a huge mess.

Thanks guys! :D

Sorry to hear about Toby and the vest...That sucks.

Well, after making a walmart run for black acrylic paint, I started weathering my shirt. I did the cuffs, and the seams at the sleeves. I then found my blood spray for clothing, and had at it. I've finished the left sleeve, and will be moving on to the right sleeve tomorrow. :D

After that, I believe I may be done! :D

Here's a picture after I lightly weathered the sleeves:

403644_297695776934033_100000808395871_748940_2146820529_n.jpg

Re: Sweeney Todd Before New Years (Almost Done!)

Nice progress on your costume! May I ask how you went about weathering your shirt? I weathered mine with watercolors but I'm thinking of using acrylic for a more permanent application.

Do you have the razor set yet? I have the NECA set with my own modifications.

Seen here....

Before these side pieces stuck out too high.
img2772b.jpg

So I pulled them up and cut the foam from underneath.
img2775cp.jpg

Also raised up the right rack to make it more accurate.
img2779fj.jpg

Finally, using the photo from the Sweeney Todd film book, did some weathering.
img2783g.jpg

Merkymerx, thanks man! I just put a small ammount of black acrylic paint in a glass bowl, then filled it with water and mixed it around. I did an initial "light" wash with the most diluted paint first, then I made a slightly more concentrated mix to do on the very corners (Which you can't really see because of the flash). I just apply it with my fingers, LOL. I just dip my fingers into it and let the water/paint do the rest!

Benhs, no I don't, but wow, those look amazing!!!! :D :D :D I wish I had some, I think that makes a great display!

On a side note, I finished the blood weathering on both sleeves today. I'll post some pictures of them soon. I can't decided if each sleeve is balanced enough or not. I may need to add more to the left sleeve. The spray pump on the bottle quit as soon as I started on the right sleeve, so I had to do that one by hand. I sort of think it looks better though, but I may be conceded. :lol

Looks great so far dude! Definitely going to impress this date of yours ;) I'm glad you like the costume so much and I'm very glad it's finally getting some use. My girlfriend and I were going to do Todd and Mrs. Lovett a year ago but it ended up falling through.

I wish I had gotten a chance to do so, they cancelled the party at the last minute! :(

I had held out to post pics. of the shirt on FB to suprise everyone at the party. I had finished the bloody sleeves in time, so I was 100% ready to go. Oh well...

388292_298607990176145_100000808395871_751713_586111847_n.jpg

Woah the blood brings an entire level of wickedness to the costume!

Great job, sorry the party got canceled but now you'll be ready for anything else that comes up :)

Sorry to hear about the party cancellation :( but as others have said, now you have it ready for the next costuming event that comes up!

Thanks! :D

Yea, I saw a picture of a child that had several leather belts attached to a leather jacket/pants, and it looks really good (Not accurate, but good none-the-less). So if I ever do it, I'd probably go that way, because it would be so cheap to do. :lol

That is a really nice looking Sweeney Todd costume
Where did you get your Sweeney Todd shirt? I am desperately looking for one now, as the one I have got ruined and can no longer be used for my costume
You also make a great Sweeney Todd

Thank you sir! :D

My shirt is just a costume base shirt....Which is really one of their Jack Sparrow shirts, with the cords cut off. :lol

You're welcome!
Oh, I think I will contact them and ask if I can just buy one of their shirts alone then. Or maybe just buy the Jack Sparrow shirt and cut the cords off myself. lol Thanks!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back