SW Lenovo Jedi Challenges game Anakin conversion - Completed!

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I bought a Jedi Challenges lightsaber game off ebay which was faulty - I only wanted the saber anyway. My aim is to tear it down and turn it into an Anakin ROTS saber and hopefully another into Luke ESB.

Just spent 10 mins stripping this down. There are 2 screws under each button, 2 screws under 2 of the 6 grips and 3 screws which hold the middle together aswell as 2 under the clamp card area. The electronics simply slide out when all screws are taken out. Also need to pop out the buttons and the clamp card.

The good news is that you can make the tube more of an accurate size by trimming the plastic which hold the two sabers together, plenty of room modification

Here is a photo of it stripped down. My aim is to get graflex clamps for both and obviously the cards and correct grips for Anakin as I think the ones already on there are ok for Luke ESB.

Will update as I go along. I think I can get a pretty nice looking replica when these mods are done. This really is simple to take apart.

Lee
20220616_194936.jpg
20220616_194941.jpg

So I bought a Jedi Challenges lightsaber game off ebay which was faulty - I only wanted the saber anyway. My aim is to tear it down and turn it into an Anakin ROTS saber and hopefully another into Luke ESB.

Just spent 10 mins stripping this down. There are 2 screws under each button, 2 screws under 2 of the 6 grips and 3 screws which hold the middle together aswell as 2 under the clamp card area. The electronics simply slide out when all screws are taken out. Also need to pop out the buttons and the clamp card.

The good news is that you can make the tube more of an accurate size by trimming the plastic which hold the two sabers together, plenty of room modification

Here is a photo of it stripped down. My aim is to get graflex clamps for both and obviously the cards and correct grips for Anakin as I think the ones already on there are ok for Luke ESB.

Will update as I go along. I think I can get a pretty nice looking replica when these mods are done. This really is simple to take apart.

LeeView attachment 1588095View attachment 1588096
I have been waiting for some one to do this since it came out best of luck, just one thing will it have brand new electronics so you can use it as a dueling saber?

Hi bud

No it's going to be a display piece buy I personally think something good can be done with them :)

Lee

I got my hands on one of these as well just recently, and I was contemplating the next moves with it. I'm interested to see how you approach it and thank you in advance for sharing your ideas! Good luck.

Hey

I've been working on it more this week. I'm awaiting some parts from Roy at WannaWanga then I'll reveal the finished product.

Graflex clamps are pretty much a no go with these. I bought 2 to use on 2 sabers but there is no chance I'm using one - it would affect the structural aspect of the saber anyway. Its a shame but there is another way to make it look good and as the Anakin saber is quite a chromed finish I think the clamp on it is pretty nice. I decided to leave the guts in just to add weight. The only thing I know is going to be a pain is the lever, but I'm thinking about leaving as is or spraying gold. It's a bit hefty but removing it will be a royal pain in the backside.

Taking the clamps out of the equation I've spent around £30 in parts so far and that includes a clamp card from Skywampa.So as it stands I'm in for about £50 so far but I know this is going to look pretty good at the end.

Lee

So I'm nearly done with this. Just waiting for some of Roy's tape then it's finished. This has been a really fun conversion and is relatively easy to do.

First you need to strip the saber down. Start with the one screw under the the button behind the bunny ears. Just prise the red button out and underneath will be a screw. Whip it out and pop out the front section.

Next pry out the clamp card and the fitting - you will find more screws under this. There are 2 screws under 2 of the 6 grips. Take off the grips and rivet heads but they are pretty decent for another project so don't demolish them. The grips has a slot underneath that are used as a key for positioning so after taking the grips off you will need to take some snips and carefully cut the plastic - it's easy if you have a good pair of snips. Lastly clean off all residue of sticky foam used to stick original grips on. It should all come apart now. If you wish to remove the bottom cap I drilled hole through it a day with a little force it popped off. I didnt want to the electrics in this but I kept the guts in to add weight.

Get some new grips, a covertec wheel, clamp card and Roy's tape and you are good to go. For the buttons I used simple metal clothing snap buttons painted in the colour you wish. The bottom one is a dome button.I've gone for the copper color although some go gold - in some photos of the originals and other replicas they are either copper or gold. Mask off clamp lever area and spray gold and you have done it!

Enjoy the pics. When the tape arrives I'll put it on then take some better pics. Total cost was £60 all in including the saber itself. Definatly worth converting I'd you get a chance. And it's made me happy that I've added Anakins saber on a budget, and the chromed finish is very similar to the actual prop.

I've actually bought 2 more as I'm going to do an ESB saber half buried in snow. Its one scene that takes me back to the old days!

20220701_200315.jpg
20220701_200247.jpg
20220701_200244.jpg
20220701_200240.jpg
20220701_200235.jpg
20220701_200257.jpg

I'd change the button colors to gold or back to copper for anakin but other wise its a very nice piece and much nicer than those 3d prints, now for the ESB or other graflex styles I'd recomend using a scotch/brillo pad for that brushed steel effect it works well on chrome.

very nice. love your anakin mod. the middle section! wow! still have to read through everything here as to the specifics of what you did. but IMPRESSIVE MOST IMPRESSIVE lol

oh also wanted to add something here about how i'm using my jedichallenges lenovo lightsaber as a "sleeve" to insert my rgb base-lit jvmusaber into. didn't want to deal with wiring any electronics. just want to insert in/out to turn on/off & to recharge (really only have to pull out halfway). i figure even if no working button on the outside, this was a good compromise to turn it on/off and recharge. also since the more expensive $200-$500 graflex lightsabers require you to take apart the graflex to recharge, my sliding the jvmusaber in/out of my lenovo lightsaber is good enough for me. the key to keeping this altogether was using a strip of 2"x8.25" corrugated cardboard (cut from a shipping box) to securely hold the jvmusaber inside the lenovo lightsaber. and it holds even if i do spins (well not too fast to be on the safe side). experimented with different smaller sizes of corrugated cardboard, as well as plain regular cardboard, form, styroform, but the 2"x8.25" corrugated cardboard works well and securely for me.

UPDATE *** ::: finally got my control activation box button to be used to turn on the jvmusaber. there are three holes where the activation card/button goes into that box. there is that middle pin already built underneath into the activation card/button that goes in the middle hole. but for mine with the jvmusaber, i had to make a new spring/pin from a paper clip to go into the front hole to press the button on the jvmusaber because that's where it lines up. anyways it now works to turn my saber on/off & to switch light colors & to turn sound on/off. (if you want to see more of my mods, go to my instagram @iwantgizm0s and click the link in my instagram bio to get to a list of my insta lightsaber posts)

Attachments

• skywalker graflex lightsaber (jedichallenges_and_jvmusaber).jpeg
    skywalker graflex lightsaber (jedichallenges_and_jvmusaber).jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 119
  • skywalker graflex lightsaber (jvmusaber_in_jedichallenges).jpeg
    skywalker graflex lightsaber (jvmusaber_in_jedichallenges).jpeg
    755.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back