SW costume piece. Legit or not?

Ewok

Guys,

I really would like to see what you guys come up with. So...what does it look like....and on top of that.... does it look good or bad?
I did this shot in the dark recently and unfortunately don't have anything but pictures to judge from. Some of you costume pros might help in this case. Legit or not..... what do you think?

Best,
Daniel

rotj_belt_09.JPG

rotj_belt_01.JPG

rotj_belt_02.JPG

rotj_belt_03.JPG

rotj_belt_04.JPG

rotj_belt_07.JPG

rotj_belt_10.JPG

rotj_belt_11.JPG

rotj_belt_08.JPG

Well, it looks like a knee ammo strip from a Sandtrooper. Looks old. The fact that it's not a perfectly smooth pull (little bumpy around the screw hole on the remaining tab) might suggest it's an original. Maybe.

Looks legit.

But realize that half the people on this board specialize in making things look old and crummy. So it could be a very well-done fake.

But my .02? I feel like it's such an obscure part of the costume, I can't see why anyone would fake it. I would bet it's the real deal.

Great input guys. Okay....I throw in the rest of information I've got.....it actually is statet as ROTJ Stormtrooper belt piece. Either the right or left side ending broke off and lost. The piece is pretty fragile. And as you can see has some scotch tape support on the back. There is no paint on this piece. All the yellowing is in the plastic. IMO the cracks are in expected areas for a thin piece of plastic being worn in battle some day. I do like the rusty residue around the rivet hole. What I wonder about is the rounded shape of the one end of the belt with the rivet hole. Havn't seen this style yet. And why is the rivet hole so off center? Remember...these are tiny details as the shots are pretty close up. The first thing I've thought when I held it up the first time was....wow...it almost weighs nothing! I've really expected a piece like this being more sturdy.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Any pictures showing this detail? I find a bit too big being the knee strap. Is the knee strap from the same mold as the belt? Counting the same number of ribs etc.? This is pretty interesting and it really could be possible that this is a knee strap. Considering the damage and cracks...

dimensions (even rough ones) would help answering that question. It does look like a knee strap though

I've checked for the size. It is roughly 8 cm high and 35 cm wide. So you could add another 5 cm for the missing part. From what I have seen and read so far.... I am now pretty convinced it really is a knee strap. Guess I'll need to ask the previous owner for the rest of the pieces this one was once connected to. He might have a few boxes left in the basement.....

I think it could be legit but it is not from a screen used Stormtrooper. The shapes of blocks indicate an ROTJ Stormtrooper but the rivet hole is way off for a screen used piece.

I would say more from one of these tour suits or a cast of it. The distance between the blocks looks to be the same.
5421934405_0be361c8d2_b.jpg

Is it just the position of the rivet hole? Do you have a screen used piece and a tour suit in hand to compare? Hard to get pictures of these details. How can you tell by just the position of the hole when they were propably drilled in by hand....and replaced during shooting from time to time in a hurry? Are there any specific measurements for the position of the hole on screen used suits and tour suits? What year these tour suits were made? Seen any of them in a condition reflecting the piece in question? Hmmmmmm......

I've checked for the size. It is roughly 8 cm high and 35 cm wide. So you could add another 5 cm for the missing part. From what I have seen and read so far.... I am now pretty convinced it really is a knee strap. Guess I'll need to ask the previous owner for the rest of the pieces this one was once connected to. He might have a few boxes left in the basement.....

Knee strap...belt is over 60cm long....

It isn't a knee strap it is a broken ROTJ belt. It only has 5 rectangles instead of 6 because it is broken.

The knee plate is smaller in height and the blocks have different proportions.

The pic of the prototype ANH trooper actually has the belt around the knee by accident - note the missing belt. Believe it or not the belt width isn't that much different to the knee plate.

Whether parts are rounded at the ends or not is down to who ever trimmed and assembled them and there are quite a few variants on the screen suits. The same can be said of the rivet holes.

Either way it is a belt not a knee strap.

It is defeinitely not ANH or ESB as there would be more rivet holes.

Now thats a statement! Thanks alot. That makes pretty sense. So there is actually a full rib and end piece missing on this one. That would make exactly the 45 cm mentioned.

Right on! I almost bought this from ebay a few weeks ago. It is a ROTJ belt piece that the guy had for $999 and sold for half that...good deal you got. Plus the case came with it. Thanks for sharing the pics.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back