SURVIVOR: One World (Official Thread)

The Wook

Master Member
Okay, so what'd y'all think?

It's just been one episode, but I'm cautiously optimistic this could be a fiery season. The teams aren't overstocked with lemmings like in some seasons past. It seems. Like I said, a bit too early to tell.

I guess an early favorite of mine is Chelsea. Mostly because she's the hottest girl out there. But also because she seems like she's gonna be a serious physical challenger, as well. I was duly impressed by her showing up all those studs by catching not one, but TWO chickens with her bare hands. And catching the second one while STILL holding the first one in her other hand! :lol

The token gay guy bugs, but that's no surprise. Couldn't he have at least made a little effort to fit in with his all-male tribe before running to the women and announcing his plans to betray the men??!! I mean, WTF?

The guys are playing hard ball--stealing supplies, refusing to share fire, refusing to give up their right to win the challenge via forfeit, etc.--right from the jump, and it *appears* like it's awakened the girls...or some of them, that it's "game on!".

Your impressions?

The Wook

Looks like a potentially good season. I did not miss Redemption Island. Also, I think there was only one ***** reference. Praise the Lord! What a breath of fresh air.

I was more impressed with the women than the men as individuals but, sexist as it may be, I don't think they'll be able to hold up in the challenges. I liked Chelsea, Kim, and Nina (got a hunch about her).

I liked Jay the best on the men's side but didn't have a problem with cocky Matt. Did not like Michael or Troy. Coach came immediately to mind when being introduced to Troy but that impression faded quickly.

From the editing, Chelsea and Jay came across as the sharpest strategists.

I do not see Colton nor Alicia surviving long due to their tribe dynamics.

"Hidden Immunity Idols" shall now simply be called "Placed Immunity Idols."

Last edited:
I'm usually not that impressed with the first episode (the past few seasons anyway), but I loved this one. And maybe it's just b/c I'm a guy, but the majority of the girls are really pissing me off.

I didn't have any problems with the guys stealing, winning the challenge by default or negotiating for fire/chicken. It just seems that the girls aren't Survivor-smart when it comes to these type of things and are making excuses early on.

The one girl I potentially found the most interesting just happened to get injured and sent home the first episode. For me it was a shame.

The women's tribal was definitely not boring.

Kevin

Wook, it is rare that you and I see things that same way, but your assesstment of the first show is pretty much identical to mine.

Forget that Chelsea is very attractive... the whole catching of the chickens was REALLY impressive and even more impressive was that she didn't buckle to the pressure and give one up. She is definitely one to watch.

Colton... ugh.... come on. He is such a bad stereotype that it borders on caricature. I am completely annoyed by him already and am not happy that it is clear that he is going to be a focal point until he is voted off. I feel that Alicia is bordering on the same. She is probably going to be around a while, but I am already looking forward to her being gone.

I can't help but laugh a little at the female team's surprise and indignation that the males aren't playing nice and don't have a "let's all work together to survive" attitude. Let's be honest. You aren't "surviving." This is a game with dozens of support staff around you at all times. You are never in any real danger. Part of the point is to mentally, physically and emotionally drain your opponents. So, why in the world would you "give" someone anything without getting something in return? (This is why Julia and I disagree so much on characters like Russell). I was VERY disappointed that the guys didn't guard their fire the first night. Fire is a GREAT comfort and to deny the women fire and ensure they didn't get it would have been a very demoralizing move. Because the men failed to do that, the women are now emboldened that they were able to get something their opponents didn't want them to have. Bad move, guys. Bravo, women.

What is going to be interesting is that I am confident they will relatively quickly regroup the teams and won't keep it men vs women and it will make it very interesting to see who was too short-sighted to not completely have ostracized themselves from the opposite sex.

"Hidden Immunity Idols" shall now simply be called "Placed Immunity Idols."

They don't seem to try very hard to hide them. I suppose they think it adds to the fun if the other people are looking for something that has already been found, but they are so easy to find that everyone assumes the person they want to vote out JUST might have found it already.

Lots of A types. [rubs hands together in evil glee] This could be a very interesting season.

I'm ready for the season, the first Show did catch my attention. I agree with the annoying sterotyped Gay Guy. I mean, it wuold be funny if it wasn't so bad. and to have him ALREADy trying to make alliances with the women. He gave NO effort at all (that was broadcast) to make a place for himself. He's going to be completely dependant on charity. Unless he's the one playing us. Imagine the move if he is not as "gay" as he's playing. Now that would be a power move. It got him the idol. I just don't think it is.

The woman definately are in need of help. they have no sense of team, and are individuals. where as the guys at least seem to have formed a solid group of 4 in that alliance.

My first impression on everything is the girls will phisically have trouble with the challenges, especially given the coming attractions. But I also think this is the show's producers throwing the "guy stuff" at them to start it off, and then switching to events that will give them either an equal fotting or an advantage. If you've watched the show, you know there are challenges that woman have the advantage on.

If they don't do this, it will be pointless to watch the women get picked off one by one and it just be the guys in the individual challenges.

no matter what, when the guys do go up for elimination, I am expecting big backstabs along the way.

It is so great not to have someone from a previous show on this season. Not enough has happened for me to get a strong sense about anyone, but I liked the two twists.

Jeff cracked me up at tribal council, he looked really freaked out by the cat fighting.

I would also say that the drop on that first challenge was insane. You can't expect non-athletic people to be able to control how they land from a distance like that. It could have gone SO much worse than a busted up face and broken wrist.

I would also say that the drop on that first challenge was insane. You can't expect non-athletic people to be able to control how they land from a distance like that. It could have gone SO much worse than a busted up face and broken wrist.

+ 1 for being shocked at the height. Poor broken-wrist tattoo girl who's outta the game, and poor older chick whose face is all fracked up from face-planting on the net during her rebound...Lol. I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh at that woman, but the cameras got some ISO's on her after the challenge and she looked hideous. :eek I didn't hear her complaining, so she might be a real tough cookie.

Anyway, Jules, I was hoping you'd show up. I always look forward to your perspicacious commentary. :)

The Wook

I think the stereotypes are a little heavy this season. I don't like it when they cast it like that. And don't kid yourself, it's casting.

None of them really jumped out to me yet.

I just know they will NOT vote of the really mouthy one, how come they NEVER vote off the really mouthy ones. They'd get my vote first.

You have to play the first half of the game as a team. Those that don't fail.

You would think they'd know that by now. Can't start off hating in week one.

I just know they will NOT vote of the really mouthy one, how come they NEVER vote off the really mouthy ones. They'd get my vote first.

It's rare, Mike, but it's happened. Like that older ex-Marine lady a few seasons ago, who was barking out orders on day 1. IIRC, she was the very first to go. Yes, I remember her saying in the Reunion show how humbling it was to be voted off first, and she realized in retrospect how loud-mouthed she'd been. What was her name? Sarge, or something?

Maybe it's rare because people are intimidated by bullies. And also because physically weak players are targeted before players plagued by other weaknesses, such as loud-mouth disease.

The Wook

I always look forward to your perspicacious commentary. :)

I learned a new word tonight! :lol Had to look that up - thanks for the compliment.

And I feel the same about you and most of the rest of the people here. These threads make watching the show so much more interesting. We don't always agree, but it's fascinating how people can watch the same thing and pick up totally different vibes.

I learned a new word tonight! :lol Had to look that up - thanks for the compliment.

And I feel the same about you and most of the rest of the people here. These threads make watching the show so much more interesting. We don't always agree, but it's fascinating how people can watch the same thing and pick up totally different vibes.

:) You're welcome.

So let me ask you, Julie...how do you think you'd fare on the show? Let's say you had 3 months to prepare. I don't know you personally, so I don't know what your strengths and weaknesses are...other than you seem very bright and even-tempered...so what would your initial strategy be? Strategies can change depending on who we're teamed up with, but knowing yourself, and how others in the civie world perceive you, what kind of game would you set out to play? Is there someone...say a Parvati, or Sandra, or Russell, or Amber...you'd model your approach after?

The Wook

I totally would be Rupert, still to me the Greatest Survior Player ever. I loved it when he stole all that stuff. That was a big deal back then.

I totally would be Rupert, still to me the Greatest Survior Player ever. I loved it when he stole all that stuff. That was a big deal back then.

The guys took a page out of his playbook in the premiere. lol

I *used* to love Rupert. But not in Heroes v. Villains. He was a whiny-mouthed biatch member of that sourgrapes jury who robbed Russell of the million bucks.

You're much cooler than Rupert, Mike. :D

The Wook

Whatever happened to bag a rice, chunk of flint, cut and build your shelter and hike 500 yards to the water you have to boil. I want to see more Surviving.

Remember those poor bastards in Season 2, those guys suffered.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back