SURVIVOR: One World (Official Thread)

Wook, I bet all of us have thought about it at some point... :lol I think the best players know themselves and use the strategies that work for them.

In the real world, I'm sincere and honest, often to a fault. But I can be slow to recognize social cues and get on people's bad side before I know what I did wrong.

The only way I think I would go far is if I secretly aligned with someone who was a really smart social player, but who could read me well enough to know they could trust me... and who saw that I alienated enough people to not be a serious threat to them. haha! But there is no guarantee of finding someone like that who wants to align.

The other problem I would run into is when I start caring too much about lying and hurting people, and being hungry and tired makes me emotional so with all that pressure, I might just fall apart.

It's a long time to be away from the family not to play to win OR to play to win when the way you have to play tears you up inside. So, I have no plans to go on Survivor.

How about you? And I'd be curious for other people here too.

Wook, I bet all of us have thought about it at some point... :lol I think the best players know themselves and use the strategies that work for them.

In the real world, I'm sincere and honest, often to a fault. But I can be slow to recognize social cues and get on people's bad side before I know what I did wrong.

The only way I think I would go far is if I secretly aligned with someone who was a really smart social player, but who could read me well enough to know they could trust me... and who saw that I alienated enough people to not be a serious threat to them. haha! But there is no guarantee of finding someone like that who wants to align.

The other problem I would run into is when I start caring too much about lying and hurting people, and being hungry and tired makes me emotional so with all that pressure, I might just fall apart.

It's a long time to be away from the family not to play to win OR to play to win when the way you have to play tears you up inside. So, I have no plans to go on Survivor.

So, kinda like a nicer version of the girl who won last season?

As for me, I'm certain I'd win the game. I'd be a physical force nonpareil, I'd play with Russell's fierce determination and cunning, but because of my abundant wealth of personal charm, everyone one I'd bullied, manipulated and vanquished would in the end shower me with their adoration and the million dollars.

The Wook :cool

Haha! Well maybe I'd have to align with you and steal it at the end. :p

Be careful, Jules. You might fall in love.

ps~In all seriousness, I'd LOVE to play the game. But I haaaaaate bug bites! Just one drives me kinda bananas, and when I see the dozens of bites, giant welts, on the backs and arms and legs of the castaways, I realize I couldn't do it. I'd go out of my mind if I was covered in bites like they are. :wacko

I guess I saw her as a misfit

That's actually exactly what I found interesting about her, but she was gone before we really got to know her at all.

To elaborate a bit- I was kind of a misfit in highschool, so I tend to... gravitate I guess to people like that. However she wasn't around long enough for me to "root" for her in anyway.

Kevin

Be careful, Jules. You might fall in love.

Your bragging and self-promotion sound more like Coach at his worst than Russel.:behave

ps~In all seriousness, I'd LOVE to play the game. But I haaaaaate bug bites! Just one drives me kinda bananas, and when I see the dozens of bites, giant welts, on the backs and arms and legs of the castaways, I realize I couldn't do it. I'd go out of my mind if I was covered in bites like they are. :wacko

The physical aspect of the game used to make me nervous when first thinking about it - being hungry, cold, uncomfortable sleeping, spiders, rats, icky water, nasty food, challenges that wore you out... and yes, bug bites.

But then I saw the way so many people pulled through and sucked it up; people you'd never expect could tough it out.

That impresses me that many of us modern world pampered types are much more capable of dealing with such things than we would think we are. You'd probably surprise yourself.

Your bragging and self-promotion sound more like Coach at his worst than Russel.:behave

The physical aspect of the game used to make me nervous when first thinking about it - being hungry, cold, uncomfortable sleeping, spiders, rats, icky water, nasty food, challenges that wore you out... and yes, bug bites.

But then I saw the way so many people pulled through and sucked it up; people you'd never expect could tough it out.

That impresses me that many of us modern world pampered types are much more capable of dealing with such things than we would think we are. You'd probably surprise yourself.

Ouch! That hurt! :lol The difference is, Coach couldn't back up his braggadocio. :cool

Now regarding bug bites, I tend to have more of an allergic reaction than most folks--at least that's what my Mommy always told me--so I don't know that I could easily cope with my body covered in them. I do wonder, though, if the castaways are given anything (pharmacological or natural treatments) off-camera to relieve the itchiness and swelling. Because in 23 seasons I've never heard *anybody* complain at any length about itchiness. I sorta recall one castaway complain of it briefly, many seasons ago. Or perhaps it was a castaway remarking to another castaway, "He's not doing so well. Look at his back, it's covered with bites.". But that's about it. I sorta have to believe they're given *something* to ease itchiness and swelling. But I could be wrong.

The Wook

Whatever happened to bag a rice, chunk of flint, cut and build your shelter and hike 500 yards to the water you have to boil. I want to see more Surviving.

Remember those poor bastards in Season 2, those guys suffered.

I would like to see this too. I know it is tough with the camera crew ever-present, but I would actually be far more interested to see what would happen if there was some actual "surviving" going on. I'd love to see them do something where the people were out there for about 2 weeks with virtually nothing so that those with survival skills/knowledge could begin to stand out and become the natural leaders/providers and THEN start the game. I think if they actually did have to survive a little, it would completely change the dynamics of the game and how people bonded and reacted to one another. I could see a very "Lord of the Flies" thing begin to happen which would be far more interesting to watch than the painfully forced drama that has to often be pushed and egged on by Jeff.

Julia,

Having known you for a long time, I would think that the game would be incredibly emotionally draining on you especially because this game promotes and encourages people to do things that are in conflict with what you feel is right.

I think that you would fit in as the "mother" type and as long as you didn't interject yourself in ways that got people upset, you could actually get a long way in the game in the middle of the pack simply due to your high likability.

....but... NO ONE in their right mind would take you to the end. Anyone going up against you in the final would have a very tough uphill battle to overcome your extreme likability and time and time again we have seen the likable person win over the person who worked the hardest... You would be that likable person.

Ouch! That hurt! :lol The difference is, Coach couldn't back up his braggadocio. :cool

Okay, that sounded like Boston Robb. :lol

You might be right about the bug bites, but in a podcast that Jeff made he said the only thing they give them are prescription medicines they need and the girls get feminine products if it's that time of month. (There may have been one more, but it wasn't bug spray or itching cream)

Julia,

Having known you for a long time, I would think that the game would be incredibly emotionally draining on you especially because this game promotes and encourages people to do things that are in conflict with what you feel is right.

I think that you would fit in as the "mother" type and as long as you didn't interject yourself in ways that got people upset, you could actually get a long way in the game in the middle of the pack simply due to your high likability.

....but... NO ONE in their right mind would take you to the end. Anyone going up against you in the final would have a very tough uphill battle to overcome your extreme likability and time and time again we have seen the likable person win over the person who worked the hardest... You would be that likable person.

Wow, Art... you have a much kinder view of me than I do myself. Thank you. :) You made my day. I always think I'm alienating people for some reason because my jokes are odd and my opinions are strong.

I have heard that 'mother type' description many times... It's so hard for me not to try to take care of people, even when they don't want to be taken care of. :lol

This is all speculation though, because I'll never go on that show. haha!

How do you think you would play it? I'd take a guess that you would play up your accent, make people underestimate you and fly under the radar while you were calling all the shots without them even knowing it. If someone caught on and didn't work with you, they'd be gone before they knew you knew...

Am I right?

How do you think you would play it? I'd take a guess that you would play up your accent, make people underestimate you and fly under the radar while you were calling all the shots without them even knowing it. If someone caught on and didn't work with you, they'd be gone before they knew you knew...

Am I right?

Honestly, I think I would do very poorly at this game. I am too direct and blunt and it would be hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I imagine, unless I just clammed up, I would be out early. The ONLY thing that might keep me in the game is that I am fascinated by the real survival side of the game and I know a lot about surviving in the wild. I am always amazed that the contestants don't do more to make their lives a little easier while they are there. A bit more effort at camp, very early in the game, could make everyone far more comfortable. I could possibly fall into that roll, a bit, but that would be my only hope.

Funny that you mention the accent. I was recently falsely accused by a pretty pathetic individual of using my accent to endear myself to people. :lol:lol:lol This is how I have sounded since I could talk! Honestly, if I could afford a voice coach to help me get rid of it, I would because it does, unfortunately, give an immediate negative impression. The thing is, I would NEVER want to use that in a game like Survivor, even if it could help me because my heritage is only a minor part of who I am and I wouldn't want to be defined by it anymore than people already do.

Honestly, I think I would do very poorly at this game. I am too direct and blunt and it would be hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I imagine, unless I just clammed up, I would be out early. The ONLY thing that might keep me in the game is that I am fascinated by the real survival side of the game and I know a lot about surviving in the wild. I am always amazed that the contestants don't do more to make their lives a little easier while they are there. A bit more effort at camp, very early in the game, could make everyone far more comfortable. I could possibly fall into that roll, a bit, but that would be my only hope.

Funny that you mention the accent. I was recently falsely accused by a pretty pathetic individual of using my accent to endear myself to people. :lol:lol:lol This is how I have sounded since I could talk! Honestly, if I could afford a voice coach to help me get rid of it, I would because it does, unfortunately, give an immediate negative impression. The thing is, I would NEVER want to use that in a game like Survivor, even if it could help me because my heritage is only a minor part of who I am and I wouldn't want to be defined by it anymore than people already do.

Hey Art, what comforts would you create at camp? And what accent do you possess? Just curious.

The Wook

A lot of the comforts would come in the small way of better fires, better sleeping arrangements... etc. It is all creature comfort type things that would depend on what is available. What I see season after season are people kind of accepting what they build on the first day, falling into a routine and then suffering through rest of the time there. Because of the lack of food, people lay around a lot, yet they construct these horrible sleeping arrangements that seem to ensure poor rest and that they are going to feel terrible. Why do that to yourself? Build it better on day 1 and then you get better rest the whole time and are better equipped to face the mental and physical challenges. I just feel that the contestants are very haphazard in their camp life and introduce unneeded hardships in what is an already very stressful situation. I know that isn't a lot of specifics, but if we ever happen to go survival camping, I'll show you a trick or two... ;)

I am from the deep south and by most people's standards, I have a very thick southern draw which many people immediately associate with a lack of education, a lack of intelligence, and being a "hick" or a "redneck." The funny thing is, because I have lived in Atlanta, and now in Arizona for so long, by the standards of where I grew up, I don't have that strong of an accent anymore...

Art, yeah, you're probably right. Combine being blunt with day one vision of how camp SHOULD be and you are instantly the person every lazy, stupid, gossipy person on the show hates.

If you could hold out to building something great until later on in the show, when people are really uncomfortable and you are willing to help make better what they didn't want to do, it could work for you, though.

But day 1 bossypants's get the boot really quickly. haha!

As for your accent - I remember being shocked by it - not for the twang, but for the SPEED at which you spoke being so slow. I read much faster than you talk and had only ever read your words. :lol

That's an interesting call not wanting to use something that could help you win... I wouldn't have thought an accent would be something too sacred to exploit, but I see your point if you consider it part of your heritage.

Art, yeah, you're probably right. Combine being blunt with day one vision of how camp SHOULD be and you are instantly the person every lazy, stupid, gossipy person on the show hates.

If you could hold out to building something great until later on in the show, when people are really uncomfortable and you are willing to help make better what they didn't want to do, it could work for you, though.

But day 1 bossypants's get the boot really quickly. haha!

Just proves my point that Survivor would NOT be my game... :lol:lol

As for your accent - I remember being shocked by it - not for the twang, but for the SPEED at which you spoke being so slow. I read much faster than you talk and had only ever read your words. :lol

Great... heavy accent AND speak slow! I am totally screwed. They would just put "Hillbilly" below my name or something...

That's an interesting call not wanting to use something that could help you win... I wouldn't have thought an accent would be something too sacred to exploit, but I see your point if you consider it part of your heritage.

Ehhh... it is a touchy subject, but one that I have been coming to terms with in regard to reality TV lately. Take for instance the gay guy on the show... he is GAY before he is anything else... even human. While there is no doubt that my heritage is from the south, it doesn't define me and I am not a Southerner before a great number of other things that do tend to define who I am. I feel that reality shows tend to pick people who have a particular idiosyncracy and people whose entire identity is wrapped around that one thing.... and I hate that. I would never want to be identified as Southern FIRST even though I am pretty proud of my heritage. Does that make sense?

Yeah, it makes sense.

But, all you'd have to do to fix that is to come out on the show the first day as a guy who dresses up in costumes. You could even make it your 'career', so every time your name came up it would be:

Art Andrews: Cosplayer

Nobody would care a thing about your accent then.

They'd just picture you as this guy:

888574-large.jpg

End of story.

Holy Hell, Jeff needs to shut up during tribal and let the woman tribe eat itself alive.

He talked more in the council than the castaways.

Holy Hell, Jeff needs to shut up during tribal and let the woman tribe eat itself alive.

He talked more in the council than the castaways.

I complained about this last season and was VERY upset with Jeff's manipulation of the tribe tonight. I totally agree. Jeff, shut up and let them do their thing and stop leading them!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back