Supposed Original Reeve Superman Costume Auction

JoeR

Sr Member
Just wandering what the Superman experts make of this Superman costume. It is supposedly a Reeve suit used in I and II.

03801lgeb5.jpg

Christopher Reeve's costume worn in both "Superman" (Warner Bros., 1978) and "Superman II" (Warner Bros., 1980). Consisting of a full length blue body suit with the famous red and yellow "S" insignia sewn in and red trunks attached, yellow belt, red cape with yellow "S" insignia sewn on, red leather "Flying" boots with zip-up back closure and velcro flap, and a dark wig.

26860001ref1dp0.jpg

Forgot to say I believe it went through Profiles a while back. Also were any wigs used in Superman?

Joe

Actually i think he did wear a wig for most if not all the movies, as far as the costume goes, looks ok, but there are a few fakes floating around out there

I never would of thought he wore a wig for the Superman films.

Are you sure it was him and not a stunt double?

Chris Reeve had his own hair didn't he, so why the wig?????

I don't think the above suit is authentic. Doesn't look like any of the suits he wore in the movies. The S symbol is definitely wrong - doesn't look like it's sown into the suit but rather sewed onto the suit - as well as the trunks being way too long.

Difficult to see if the neck opening is squared and follows the upper edge of the S symbol - same distance straight across from left to right and not curved like a regular shirt.

Yes, he wore a wig! CR has said so himself on many occasions. There are even pics floating around of them putting it on him.

*sigh*

Once again, for the cheap seats:

I am NOT Aramndo Alvarez! You DO realize that there are more than one "Armando" in the world, right?! :confused

Reeve wore a wig in some scenes because it made things much easier and faster to switch from Superman to Clark Kent scenes when they were filming. I'm told that's the main reason they gave him a wig - just to speed up filming his scenes.

Chris

Here are some pics of an original Chris Reeve suit.
This is soon to be on display at a museum I work at.

DSCN0149.jpg

And His cape,

DSCN0150.jpg

I noticed with the tunic/suit, its closer to an Aqua color, than a blue. Almost teal.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back